“Loved it!”

Ranked #35 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

This hotel was wonderful. We could see the ocean and the beach from our balcony. 5 feet from walkway to beach. It was very clean and the staff were amazing, even though they were very busy over the 4th of July. The Atrium was a great added bonus. Kids seemed to love it especially when they let the birds out of their cages and they fed them out of their hands. I will definitely go back again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy215

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My family recently stayed from june 26th to july 2nd. The hotel is right on the beach and only a short walk from the hotel. Oceanfront is definately the way to go. The view of the beach is great and if your with your family you can see them on the beach from your balcony .If you lug alot of stuff to the beach like our family, this is the perfect spot for you.The hotel caters to families and my 4 children, (ages 18 mths to 8 yrs old) loved the stay. The rooms aren't the best of the best, but are clean and room service comes everyday and cleans up your mess. The outside pool was great cause there was a bar right next to it and me and my wife had some nice cocktails as the kids played in the pool. For the location, amenities,and price we thought that the hotel was a great stay. I looked into the holiday inn on the boardwalk but an oceanfront room there was over 100$ a night more. We will definately stay here again.1500 for an oceanfront suite for 6 night.

Room Tip: oceanfront. 1st flr balcony on the beach
4 Thank evandust10
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I came here with high hopes as I am a fan of many of the nicer Choice Hotels properties. This one, unfortunately, disappointed.

Pros: Beach location, Coffee, tea, hot chocolate 24 hrs, nice outdoor pool, view is great, rooms are reasonably soundproof

Cons -- listed below, mainly housekeeping and maintenance issues

While the location is good, no place in this hotel (rooms included) had the "new and fresh" look and smell that draws guests back. The atrium area, while creative, is tired and dated. I kept wondering when the hallways and common areas would be cleaned when we were there. The atrium floor stayed dirty, the hallway on the third floor (oceanfront building) stayed dirty the entire weekend. Restroom by indoor pool was DISGUSTING! I don't quite know how to describe the smell in the lobby area -- but it was not pleasant either. I saw virtually no one using the indoor pool when I was there, and when I felt it was cold, I knew why.

Kitchenette area (to include ceiling, walls, floor) was covered in greasy film, and stove was falling apart (literally). Air conditioning and bathroom fans are so loud as to be virtually unusable. That was room 306. I didn't check the brand on the bed mattresses, but they are absolutely the cheapest, poorest quality I have slept on -- even Motel 6 has better. You can feel every spring, and I don't even think they were old.

This place sells itself as upscale, which it definitely is not. They even have their own marketing brochures and website to portray this. It's misleading.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank midatlantictraveler1

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

ohio
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in late June 2011. We stayed in room 103 which is first floor oceanfront with two queen beds and a fold out sofabed. They advertised that they were totally renovated in the last year or so----I wouldn't say that the whole hotel looked totally updated and fresh; the rooms definitely looked fresher than the other areas of the hotel (ie: hallways, pool area,etc)---that is more important to me anyways. Overall the room seemed clean as well as the kitchenette ---the bedding, carpet, couch, etc looked pretty new--the TV was not updated, but it worked fine. The air conditioning, refrigerator, toaster worked fine too (don't know about the oven). I am kind of paranoid about staying in hotels (ie: if they are clean,etc) and I felt pretty comfortable here. It was nice to always have coffee available right nearby at the elevator area (they had tea, hot choc. too I think) and you could also get paper towels, cups, lids, straws, creamers,etc right there which was handy. I did notice one elevator was out of order one day, but working by the next day. There always seemed to be so many workers there cleaning, sweeping, emptying trash,etc all day long---they seem to be making an effort to keep things really clean and tidy. Of course they have the birds in the atrium--never were loud or bothersome to our room. A lady comes daily to take care of them, and she said they just started allowing the birds out of their cages (with her nearby) to allow guests a better look--they are seeing how it goes. I was told they have a clown come at 3pm in the lobby to entertain kids---we were never around to see that. We had two vending machines right outside our room which was handy--a 20 (?) ounce diet coke cost one dollar, but it was empty of most drinks by day 2 and never refilled which was disappointing. We never did use the pool/hottub so I can't comment on those, but they seemed to get a lot of use. The parking was kind of tight, but we always seemed to get a spot right near our room. The hike to the beach was quick and not a problem at all. One not so good thing is that you cannot lock your sliding glass door from the outside if you want to walk to the beach from your patio (if you have a first floor room) so one person must lock it and leave from the room. I am used to being able to take a walk on the beach at night, but this area it is really, really dark and hard to see even where you are going---felt kind of creepy and I would not do it alone or even with just two people. There did seem to be some unsavory people staying here---I went to get coffee about 11:30pm and on the way back to the room walking the same hall in front of me were two groups of maybe 5 younger males total (maybe 18 ish) who started mouthing off to each other and almost got into a fistfight. The next day I was talking on the balcony to our neighbor, who said they had to call a the manager the day before in early evening and report people pouring beer onto their patio from up above. They said the manager did handle it, but commented that she already had to call the police on that group before (not sure why they were allowed to stay). And based on my neighbor's description of the people, it was not the same group of boys I had encountered in the hallway--which leads me to wonder why there are so many troublemakers staying there. In summary, I wouldn't be opposed to staying there again if the price was right, and if I could get the same type of room (first floor oceanfront) It really was nice to walk right from your patio to the sand and not have to deal with elavators, lugging your beach stuff even further,etc.

Room Tip: Book a room that is1st floor oceanfront/beachfront
2 Thank colsgal
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This hotel stay exceeded my expectations. The hotel staff were professional, helpful, and friendly. The location is perfect, the room and common areas were very clean, and the amenities were just right. We arrived early (10 am) to take advantage of a beautiful day on the beach. I requested an upper level room away from the birds, thinking their noise might bother us in the morning. The receptionist took my cell phone number and called when our room was ready at about 11 am. Nice! They gave us the room on the south end where we had the added bonus of a window in the living area (sofa and TV) thus making it ocean view! Our room was VERY reasonably priced- $116 with the AAA discount. This was the building that they call the atrium, meaning the rooms overlook the indoor portion of the hotel where the indoor pool, koi pond, tropical birds (5 or 6 in separate cages), and indoor bar/restaurant are located. This is the "original" building that has obviously been updated as the room was lovely. At some point they added on the oceanfront building, thus enclosing the atrium portion between the two buildings. There is not an elevator for this original building, however there is an elevator for the oceanfront half. The outdoor pool is lovely and also has an outdoor bar with seating and music. The pool is in front of the hotel, on the opposite side is the beach. Our room was large, with a full kitchen, king bed, and living area with sofa and TV. The bathroom was quite adequate, no temperature problems with the shower, no smell or dirt of any kind. Parking was not a problem and when we checked out the following day they said no problem, park and stay to enjoy the beach as long as you'd like. We brought breakfast foods and snacks and drinks and went out for dinner at Fager's Island which was fantastic. We were lucky to be there on a beautiful evening with a perfect sunset. One of my favorite things about the hotel was laying on the beach and being able to go inside for a frozen drink to take back to the beach. They also have a huge basket of fresh fruit at the front desk, plus coffee near the exit to the beach all day long. We didn't use the exercise room but I would if we had stayed longer. Again, the staff were all so courteous and plentiful, helping at the front desk, sweeping and cleaning the common areas, making everything lovely for the guests. The guests were also very polite and friendly, no problems with any inappropriate behavior or comments or anything. We had a second floor room, so we did hear some noise above as we were settling in to get to sleep, which seemed typical from other places we have stayed where we had folks above us. I would highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gillivray
Edgewood, Maryland
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We have been coming here for the past seven or eight years. It's always clean and has everything we need. This year the Kids forgot their toothbrushes and we were supplied with them!! They have remolded and it's very nice. I like having coffee when ever i want it, it's on all day. We really enjoy the Birds too.

1 Thank effyfay
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My husband & I stayed here for a weekend trip. I am usually not a fan of Quality Inns from past experience but I was very impressed with our stay. The rooms were very clean & had everything we needed. The staff was friendly & very helpful with any & all requests. I truly recommend you stay in an oceanfront room. The sunrises are beautiful & if you are lucky enough to be there during a full moon that is gorgeous as well. The morning breakfast in the atrium restaurant was just enough before heading out to the beach. I will definitely stay here again!!!

Room Tip: Request an Oceanfront Room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple