“Can't wait to go back”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Nanuet, New York
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

From check in to check out it was such a pleasurable experience. The staff was amazing and friendly. While waiting to check in we decided to scope the outside bar out and we meet Joe the bartender. He was fun and was informative of where to go and where not to go. It was nice considering me and my friends were newbie’s to the city of Ocean City. After check in we headed to our room, which was CLEAN and SPACIOUS for us 4 girls. Although the only downer was the size of the balcony. No space to just sit and take in the sounds and sights of the beach. Housekeeping was fast and courteous to our needs when we called. It was nice to just sit around and hang at the hotel. Food was good, it met our hunger needs. Beach and pools were clean and was pretty awesome that the staff would bring us drinks :) We loved that! Overall I highly recommend this resort to ANY groups coming to ocean city. It was family, friends and pet friendly. I will definitely be back with more friends!! Thanks for such a great experience. Keep up the fantastic work and keep hiring those friendly folks!

Room Tip: We used our AAA card. It brought cost down
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank sheilamarie841
SReed64, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, 11 June 2011
We're glad you had such a great time on your vacation with friends! Thank you so much for posting your feedback saying that you were pleased with the room, staff, and service here at the Clarion Resort. We're looking forward to serving you and your friends again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I have been lodging at the Clarion Resort in Ocean City for many years and was very disappointed with my most recent stay in May 2011. This hotel is the only Pet Friendly hotel directly located on the beach in Ocean City. In the past, our room has had a king size bed with two balconies for our Golden Retriever to enjoy. Unfortunately, this stay we had two queen size beds in a very small room. Additionally, the carpet and bed linens had stains. Also, the outdoor pool was not opened. We paid $170.00 per night for a room, off season, on the 5th Floor which faced the highway.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Disappointedwithroom
SReed64, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
I’m sorry that you were disappointed with your room. We offer two king rooms per pet floor and they are certainly the most popular accommodations for pet lovers. The king rooms are larger by design because of where they are situated on each floor. It’s unfortunate that one of these rooms was not available on your desired dates. I do apologize for the carpet and linen stains; I’m forwarding your comments on to the Director of Housekeeping so that she can take appropriate action. Finally, all of our rooms face north or south with standing balconies that allow views of both the ocean and bay, except for a small amount of non-view rooms which also do not face the highway. As I’m sure you know, the earlier you make your reservations the more likely you will get your favorite accommodations. We appreciate your feedback, and look forward to serving you again soon.
Lanham, Maryland
Reviewed 24 April 2011

My family and I stayed at the Fontainebleau Hotel April 2011. While we generally enjoyed our stay, we encountered a few problems. Chiefly:

* The foam in the jacuzzi had black dirt atop it.

* The heated pool, a welcome attraction during the cool spring months, was closed for repair.

* My room key failed twice, once when I attempted to enter the spa and once on the 19th approximately 9:45am.

* The maid forgot to bring regularly scheduled coffee pouches.

While our experience was good overall, it was a little rough around the edges.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Will4007
SReed64, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. I’m sorry that your stay with us did not meet your satisfaction. At the Clarion Resort Fontainebleau, we strive to not only meet, but to exceed our guests’ expectations. It seems we fell short of that goal for you, and for that I sincerely apologize. To specifically address some of your issues:

Jacuzzis do foam, and we use a defoamer as part of regular maintenance. Because of your experience we will definitely look into using it more often. Our Jacuzzi, like our pools, are treated and cleaned regularly, at least as often as local and state regulations dictate, and sometimes more.

Our indoor pool was closed for emergency repairs, and we had no way to know in advance it would need to be closed. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it really couldn’t be helped.

Room key failure can be caused by a variety of things. Even the smallest scratch on the magnetic strip can render a key invalid. I’m sorry for this inconvenience.

I do apologize that housekeeping did not bring replacement coffee pouches. I hope that you called the front desk and had them delivered to you, and that they were delivered quickly.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, and we do hope you come back and give us the chance to serve you again, and exceed your expectations.
Pennsville, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 April 2011

It is not a bad place to stay. It is not really an ocean view at all but you did see from room. Lots of things to do with kids or without. The room was clean when we arrived but not much after that. The tub started to back up, not enough towels or floor mat for tub. The only thing we did notice was the beds were made and trash out. For us it was missing the little details BUT was not a bad place to stay. I would stay again. Staff was nice.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mdbrum
SReed64, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, 29 April 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback. I’m sorry if there was a misunderstanding regarding the ocean view. The majority of our rooms are ocean view; we have standing balconies that afford a view of both the ocean and the Assawoman Bay. I apologize that it seems our housekeeping was not up to standard; there is never an excuse for an unclean room. I hope you are planning on visiting us again, in order that you can experience the excellent service we always strive to provide. Again, thank you for your review, and we look forward to serving you soon.
Fishing Creek, Maryland
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I live down on the Virginia Eastern Shore with my fiancee, in Belle Haven, so it's a couple of hours up to Ocean City. Even though we have the beach right outside our house, she loves the boardwalk and the atmosphere of OC, so we make the trip up and stay a couple of nights in the summer.

I have only tried one other hotel once, and while it was certainly commendable, the Fontainebleau reminds me of my childhood, and an experience that I can pass on to my soon-to-be wife. She loved it every bit as much as I did. The place just has that feeling of countless summers of happiness in its aging but still welcoming walls. The desk staff is ALWAYS on the ball--never quite perfect, but way above the OC standard. You don't get the feeling you are being ripped off. The price isn't the cheapest, but the location is stellar, and we've never had a headache.

I'll avoid going back to the days when this was the Sheraton Fontainebleau and I was a coming-of-age teen during Beach Week and rate it as a now-matured adult for the benefit of the TripAdvisor public, but it's hard to avoid some of those memories. Those who come here again and again understand the sheer nostalgic value of this place and their fantastic memories that they've made here.

We checked in on a Tuesday evening and took advantage of the hotel's Romance Package, which is perhaps a bit kitschy, but sure produced smiles out of the girlfriend. As she grew up in the Rocky Mountains, she never had much in the way of a beach experience, and she just loved every minute of it--even the rose that was left on the bed (ordinarily, she hates them, but it's a nice touch!). It won't knock your socks off, but getting to spend some of your meal credits on room service is a nice touch. The food is typical beach fare, but fills you up. You can only take so much of the Dough Roller, after all.

The beach at OC is of course crowded beyond belief, but outside the Fontainebleau around 101st St., you'll find it slightly less mobbed. SLIGHTLY. This can save a lot of headaches, though.

Things are always CLEAN here, and let me tell you if you are an inexperienced OC traveler--that is something you certainly do not find everywhere. There are no shortage of unscrupulous dives in this town that make their money off the allowances and babysitting wages of Mid-Atlantic high schoolers. The Fontainebleau isn't rock bottom in price, but you'll always have an acceptable and comfortable level of cleanliness as well as service.

We will be back next year and may even try one of their cabanas. Check it out--I would be willing to bet that with the hundreds of thousands (probably getting near millions) of families with screaming children who road trip here summer after scorching summer, the amount of negative reviews that OC hotels get is drastically higher than most other places. Fear not if you're thinking of the Fontainebleau--as a proud Eastern Shore native, I can recommend it in good faith.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ESVASpiderTerp
What a wonderful and sincere review! We appreciate the thought and time that went into your feedback, and are very happy that you have such fond memories of our hotel and Ocean City. The best thing about working at the Clarion Resort Fontainebleau is that we hear how families have been coming to Ocean City for generations. I myself came here every year when I was a kid, and then when I had a child, I brought her down every summer until we eventually moved here. I hope you keep coming to Ocean City for many years to come. Thanks again for the review, and we’re looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Baltimore
Reviewed 30 January 2011

This hotel has a great location on the beach, but the rooms are marginal. Actually, our room looked nice enough, but my bed sagged (so I was stiff most of the morning), the bathroom hadn't been cleaned well (could feel grime on the sink), the tub didn't drain (very nasty!) and the room smelled like the hotel was trying to get rid of the odor from a smoker. Staff was nice enough and the room was acceptable to the teenagers I was traveling with. The indoor pool is pretty large and it exits to the beach. For me however, a cleaner room would have made the weekend more enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank BrendaBaltimore
Havre de Grace, Maryland
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Travelled with our dog. The first room we got had a terrible smell of pet urine. They changed the room for us which was a plus, but unfortunately the second room had the same problem. 179 usd for a room, I do except that they clean the carpet. They also charge 35 usd per pet extra, they should spend that money for cleaning the rooms.

Im glad we stayed only one night there.

The personnel was friendly and they did allow us walking the dog outside (off season) + it was allowed to leave the dog into the room.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank timppaj
SReed64, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, 3 December 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. I am happy to report that this winter we plan on replacing the carpeting on the pet floors. We do hope you come back to visit and see the renovations we'll be making over the winter. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels