“Great stay just need a little work”

Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront
Ranked #32 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My fiancee and I recently went for four day getaway from life. When we arrived, we were told to wait until 4pm exactly and our room would be ready. While in the waiting area, I looked up and EWWWWW the ceiling is disgusting but I decided to wait until I saw the room. My room was right by the elevators (bummer). BUt was very nice and clean. Yes it is a little dated but nothing crazy. The views are nice if you do not mind standing and overlooking the other hotel guest in their pool. The breakfast was good. I ate there every morning. The seafood bar was eeehhhh, nothing to brag about (maybe that is why I only WASTED money once). The waiters were very kind, one even did a couple special request for my fiancee since it was my birthday. The bar outside was okay. VERY VERY VERY WEAK DRINKS. So bring your own. I mainly stayed in the indoor pool since the outdoor pool was always packed. This hotel is not near the boardwalk but it was pretty cool to ride the $3 all day bus back and forth. I also read other speaking of the parking. Thankfully, when I arrived someone just left from a front parking spot and after that I did not move my car until I left. HBO barely played and wi fi was okay. In my opinion, the hotel satisfied me being that I NEVER stayed in a hotel before (too scared of dirty sheets etc) . But I will say there were a lot of 55+ there, mainly at the bar and restaurant and the live band tends to perform for them so it was hard for me to enjoy myself in that aspect. Besides that I loved it. Thinking about going again with my kids.

1  Thank MBks85
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

We're pleased that you stayed with us on your first hotel visit, and we're glad you're considering returning with your children! I'm sorry that there were aspects of your getaway that you were not completely happy with. If at any time during your stay you experience something with which you're not satisfied, please let a management team member know as soon as you're able. We want to resolve any issues for you while you're still visiting with us.

Again, thank you for staying with us, and we're looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Despite the unfriendly and apathetic service from the front desk, the rest of the hotel is fantastic in my opinion. My boyfriend and I got room 1409 which is weirdly placed (by itself on the left of the elevator) but a great room! There is a king bed(SO comfortable) with a TV mounted on the wall, and also a couch with a separate TV area, which was nice. Everything was very clean and updated. The private beach area was nice. Did not spend time at the outside or inside pool but a good amount of other guests seemed to be enjoying them. We enjoyed that there were easily accessible restaurants in the hotel so we did not have to leave if we did not want to. I'd recommend this hotel and there is a good chance I will be staying here in the future!

Room Tip: Room 1409 is great for privacy!
1  Thank Tara M

Thank you for your review, and we're glad that overall you enjoyed your visit. I'm sorry for the unpleasant demeanor you encountered at the front desk. Our staff is generally very friendly and helpful, and I'm disappointed that is not what you experienced. We appreciate your patronage and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Not very happy, the Hotel is ok, the front desk is VERY VERY Unfredly. If you want to check in at 1 pm just forget it. Very Poor Customer Service they need more training.
I will not go back to this Hotel. I book ocean View Room, but I have was Bay View, The MINI balcony is so so so small is patetic.

This Hotel is not that good.

1  Thank Pao N

I'm very sorry that you weren't extended excellent customer service at the front desk. That is never acceptable, and we appreciate you making us aware of the situation. Our check in time is at 4pm, and even when we can accommodate an early check in, I can't recall it's ever been as early as 1pm. We need time for the housekeeping staff to get rooms cleaned after check out at 11am.

Our balconies are standing Juliet-style, and offer views of the bay to one side, and a view of the ocean from the other side. Our suites next door have large balconies that are directly oceanfront, and are available in 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms.

Thank you for making us aware of these issues.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Website said WiFi... could get a signal that could handle a simple picture download. The ceilings in the bathroom need to be cleaned... mold growing in crevices. Behind the deck bar needs to be bleached often... smelly and moldy. The indoor pool drains have a terrible sewage smell as well.
Over all we had a great time , the entertainment was nice, food was nice, all the staff were awesome. One thing that I have never experienced with any other hotel was the problem with a late check out. We have a 1 year old and had a lot of stuff, after staying for three nights in room 1404. I was told 1 hour was the best they could do. We spent a lot of money there... eating breakfast lunch and dinners.... that was a slap in the face. Dennis Lorance room 1404.

• Stayed: August 2013
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

We appreciate your patronage, and are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for the items of issue you mention. Thank you for providing the room number, as it makes it much easier to have the issues resolved.

I'm sorry you were inconvenienced by only being able to check out one hour late, rather than two. As you can imagine, late check out is our number one special request next to an early check in, and since we were full that weekend, we had to limit late checkouts in order to have the hotel ready for arriving guests.

Thank you for your understanding, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

This was our first time to Ocean City and we were a bit skeptical as to what to expect. We checked in at Clarion late in the evening. The service was terrific. Very friendly and fast. We had a two bedroom apartment in the adjoining building. A bit run down but clean, large, and with a nice view ocean view and right on the beach. The air conditioning worked very well (no ugly noisy units) and wifi too. The breakfast Buffett in the morning ($10 per adult and less for kids) was great value.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank UE_DC64

We're very happy you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to welcome you back again soon! Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We just got back from a 3 day mini-vacation in Ocean City and stayed at the Clarion. We have stayed there and at the condos next door several times over the last few years. We have seen the quality of their customer service decrease over time, and now is at an all-time low. When I arrived to check in, there were at least 5 people behind the desk, none of which acknowledged my presence for the longest time, and there was not a smile or friendly greeting anywhere to be seen. Come on, folks, how hard is it to say: "Hi there, welcome, may I help you?" with even a fake smile? The check in clerk never once looked at me as she processed my paperwork. When I asked about the complimentary beach umbrella and chairs that I was supposed to get as part of the End of Summer special deal, she did not seem to know anything about it. Left the desk for a long time, while I waited. Came back and still did not know anything about it. Finally asked her supervisor who was standing nearby, and this lady said in a loud voice: "Well, she'll have to pay for it!" ( Hello, I'm standing here in front of you, you could just speak to me directly, I'm not invisible). When I pointed out the printout that specifically said "complimentary" she huffed and puffed for several minutes before finally giving me a voucher for the umbrella and chairs. Again never once spoke to me or looked at me. Only got a voucher for one day, even though we were supposed to get one for the duration of our visit. I didn't want to argue at this point. Not a great way to start a vacation. Same grumpy people at the desk at check-out. Would it kill anyone to smile and be pleasant to customers once in a while?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ilc937

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were not extended excellent customer service. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and helping us to identify training opportunities. We are also grateful for your patronage throughout the years. I respectfully ask that you visit with us again, and give us another chance to offer improved customer service.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I loved this place, great location, loved the bar with the band playing , we ecspecially loved that it was dog friendly. They even allow your dog to sit at the bar. They have an indoor and outdoor pool, hotel is located on the ocean , we definitely will be back we give it a A++

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Havie1818
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Thanks for the A++! Glad you had a great time. We look forward to seeing you in the future!