“Decent Value hotel (will be an EconoLodge next year).”

We can't find prices for this hotel
EconoLodge Oceanfront Ocean City
Ranked #74 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Bloomsburg
“Decent Value hotel (will be an EconoLodge next year).”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed here one night, Sunday, Sept. 15th. This is the "off season", yet it was the very end of OCMD "bike week" and was still kind of a busy night. I researched this hotel on TA, and decided to give it a try. We were pleased, and would go back again if I am able to get a good deal again. I found an excellent deal for an OF room (on line), so my review is of the OF building. The property consists of 2 buildings; one directly OF, and one behind it, separated by a parking lot, which is referred to as "city view" in the rates on-line.

The cons:
1). NO SCREENS ON THE BALCONY DOOR!? I LOVE to listen to the sound of the waves/ocean, especially at night when I'm sleeping. To me there is no better sound on earth. I looked, and NONE of the OF rooms have screens on the balcony slider doors. I can only speculate that this is either due to security issues OR, concern with storm damage during thunderstorms and people leaving the glass doors open when they are not in the room. Still, this left me in a quandary of sorts ....... do I leave the door open at night and risk flies/mosquitos or, worse still (to me) leave the OF balcony door closed and miss out on my favorite part of an OF room! In the end, I decided to leave the door open after 11PM because I know mosquitos are very weak flyers (and there was a pretty strong breeze) and figuring that flies are mostly out in the daytime. We ended up with 2 flies in the room in the morning when I closed the door shortly after sunrise.

2). The balconies are only "semi-private". The divider between room balconies is a metal panel, but it is not a complete panel, all the way to the floor, and not all the way to the rail ........ it is partially open, so if you have neighbors on their balconies you will not have as much privacy as you might have expected.

3). ONE elevator in the OF building to serve 48 rooms on the 2nd floor and above.

4). The outdoor pool WAS cold as others have mentioned, but then this was Sept. 15th.

5). The bathrooms/shower rooms in the indoor pool area need a bit of sprucing up.

The PROS (and, there are MANY more PROS than cons)!!

1). LOCATION/LOCATION/LOCATION. Gorgeous, wide stretch of beach here!! Within walking distance to Higgin's Crabhouse, Wendy's, McD's, Anthony's Beer/Soda/sandwiches, etc., Papa Johns, small convenience stores, right across Ocean Hwy. from a large theme park for children (sorry, don't remember the name), easy walking distance to one of the best happy hour bars in OC (Coconuts Tiki Bar @ Castle's in the Sand - Live music early - sometimes 12 - 8 or 9 p.m., and they get good bands!!), only approx. 2 or 3 short blocks to the end of the boardwalk, and only 2 properties down from the Dunes MANOR (not the "regular Dunes motel) hotel, which has a nice, cozy, romantic OF dining room, a very small bar, and (main reason I am mentioning it) a very nice, wide OF deck lined with rocking chairs and an expansive view. For the price of a cocktail from the bar you can sit and spend some time just rocking away, enjoying the quiet, the view and even a do a bit of reading.
2). OF building is a small, 5 story building with 60 units, 12 across.
3). EXCELLENT views of the ocean and beach, especially 3rd floor and above.
4). OF units are well equipped mini-efficiency units for the price, with microwave, coffee pot, mini-fridge, storage cupboards, melanine (plastic) cups, plates, utensils, ironing board and iron.
5). Our unit was very clean. The bedspreads/linens were what you would expect of a budget hotel, but everything was clean, smelled clean, etc. All of our towels were bright white and nice smelling, and not the "thread bare" that is often associated with budget hotels. Plus, our cleaning lady (an older lady) was an absolute DOLL, and it is obvious that she takes pride in what she does!
6). They allow you to have 6 people in these units for whatever rate you obtain. There are two double beds and a sofa bed, with a "half wall" between the region of the 2 dbls and the sofa bed (which is near the OF slider door). Sheets for the sofa bed and extra blankets provided.
7). The outdoor pool deck is quite nice, with very nice chaise lounges and a few tables with umbrellas.
8). The indoor pool area was large, had quite a few lounge chairs, and the pool was warm, fairly large and appeared clean.
9). AC unit was efficient and quiet and bathroom has wall heat if needed.
10). Flat screen tv on a swivel stand that can be directed towards the beds or the sofa.
11). Continental breakfast is sparse (coffee/tea/hot chocolate, package oatmeal, watered down juices, bagels, packaged sweet rolls) but available.

Summary: If you can get a deal you are happy with, this place is a good deal. I personally would pay up to $30/$40 more per night for the OF units during summer season, because the view is fabulous ........ trust me on that one!!

Room Tip: Request a room 2nd floor or higher in the OF building. 1st floor rooms in the OF building have no p...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nittfan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Got my room on an employee discount rate as I work at another hotel elsewhere. I was on the second floor in the streetside building. Had to get maintenance to come and remove the mold in the a/c unit as it flared my allergies up. wanted to move to another room, but it was really just as bad. very musty smelling and rooms are very worn out. Complained about the people in the room next to mine and was told that they were checking out that morning. I've stayed at nicer hotels in OC. If you want a cheap stay, then this is your place. Definitely don't get what you pay for. Should have complained to the owner. Hope the oceanfront rooms are much nicer than this. I will never stay here again unless its a free night. I would like management to contact me.

Room Tip: Avoid the streetside building.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank micheley307

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed one night at the Rodeway - the second floor of the street-side building - and would stay there again.

Pros: room was clean and cool, did not smell and had a nice patio. Staff was friendly and parking was easy. The location is good but not overlooking the beach. Breakfast is packaged oatmeal, bagels and danish with OJ and coffee. Pool was nice but was across the parking lot.

Cons: we had difficulty with the toilet and the desk had to come up twice to plunge. Both times they responded quickly and were courteous about it. No coffee maker in room. Sheets were a bit thin but not ragged.

Thanks

Room Tip: Rodeway has two buildings. The cheaper rooms are in the one we stayed in and ours was fine.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul S
jmrwest
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Hotel was very nice, staff were friendly and helpful. Great view of the ocean, and two blocks from the beginning of the boardwalk.

Complimentary breakfast was weak. Bagels and muffins. There was free coffee and juice.

Room Tip: There are two buildings. If you want ocean front, be sure to note that. The other building has &qu...
1 Thank jmrwest
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Pros: Our room was on the oceanfront...a beautiful view. Everything looked clean when we checked in. We were right on the beach and only 2 blocks from the boardwalk.

Cons: We realized that some of the plugs in the room did not work. So, it was a pain to try and share the couple that were working. The people in the next room were smoking the whole week we were there and that bothered us a lot. The front desk said there was nothing they could do to help. The cleaning people asked us each day if we wanted our room cleaned....is that optional? The indoor pool smelled so we tried to stay in the outside pool which was freezing but the kids got used to it. Front desk had to come to our room 2 times to unclog the toilet. We realized by the end of the week that they were only "surface" cleaning and that is just gross. Also, the breakfast consists of bagels, danishes, coffee and juice. They are in plastic bags and tasted pretty old.

Overall, even with the beautiful view and great location...we would not stay there again.

1 Thank coneja74
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This Rodeway Inn has two buildings. There is a motel unit which is just that, a motel, fronts a main street with the back facing the parking lot. It is the cheaper option and is still a short walk to the beach. We were in the Oceanfront building. These units are efficiencies...we had two double beds, a convertible sofa, a patio (1st floor, balcony on other floors), a mini kitchen with sink, cabinets, refrig. and microwave, and a decent bathroom. The room was very clean, comfortable and steps from the beach. The Oceanfront building has a very nice indoor pool as well as an Oceanfront seasonal, outdoor pool and lounge area.

The boardwalk ends at 28th street. This hotel is at 30th, so the only thing between the hotel and the beach are the dunes. The beach is beautiful. In season it is guarded and umbrellas and chairs are available for rent.

You are very close to many restaurants and entertainment options. Great for families.

In the evenings you can drive down to the beginning of the boardwalk and park in the public inlet parking lot. (fee)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda S
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Pros: This hotel is 2 blocks from the boardwalk so you miss all that traffic and can easily jump on the tram and ride to the other end. The beach was busy but not elbow to elbow like I've seen it off of the boardwalk. We loved our ocean front balcony room- couldn't have asked for anything better. I read some reviews that had problems with staff but all of our encounters were pleasant.

Cons: The outside pool is in the shade by 5pm (mid august) and the water is freezing! The grounds around the hotel look like they worked really hard on making it look nice 2-3 years ago and nothing since. I thought the price was a little expensive for a room and nothing else since we didn't use the ice pool and there was no real breakfast.

My family and I had a great time here and may return depending on prices.

1 Thank Eiffel82