“Nice location, very clean, comfortable beds, overall good” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Plaza Inn

Paradise Plaza Inn
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
“Nice location, very clean, comfortable beds, overall good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed in a oceanfront room on the 6th floor from March 1st to 4th. Ill have to admit I was a little disappointed with a few things, although I will say overall the hotel was good. First of all several of the amenities I was promised were not provided or not fully provided. Many of the channels on the TV were fuzzy unless someone wiggled the cable, the internet didnt work almost the entire time we were there (although the internet password was changed literally the 1st day we were there as we contacted the front desk the next day about it, it was still spotty the entire time and we should have been informed of the password change),the room safe was closed without a combination, and the refrigerator was broken and froze everything in the fridge portion the whole time. The front desk answered the phone only once out of atleast a dozen different times we called for our various problems. Another thing is that the floor was tiled which wouldnt have bothered me if atleast one picture on the website featured a room with tiling, its very misleading. Also not even the clock radio, a simple amenity, was not functional. All the numbers were just scrambled. Another big thing that grinned my gears was that the website clearly advertises "black-out drapes" as a feature which I liked until the morning came and the room was just overwhelmingly filled with light to the point that I bought a sleeping mask. Although in all fairness the ocean front side of the hotel is also where the sun rises, but it I really don't see how the drapes could ever be considered "black-out". Another biggie is that also under services listed is free local calls, when in the hotel room the phone said it was 50 cents a minute for local calls. Also around 1 or 2am I walked down to the front desk because they weren't answering the phone and there was a walkie talkie along with a little sign that said saying that the person was on their rounds and to push the button and say hello for assistance. I try not to be burden and I don't like to bother people so I just went back to my room. I know I could've pushed the button and got the assistance I needed but I feel like I shouldn't have to do that, it makes me feel weird forcing someone to come back to the desk and deal with some little problem and I'm sure I'm not the only human being who feels that way.

Now for the pros of the hotel. The room had a thermostat that gave you complete and total control, you could turn it to heat or a/c and adjust the temperature and clearly hear the unit click on. I like this because some hotels dont give you much control or dont allow to get very cold and I've had trouble sleeping other places. The beds were very comfortable. The room was very clean when we came in. The view was amazing and the location is unbeatable. You can walk like 10 feet and youre on the beach. The balconies had chairs. The robes were a very nice plus. The room came with plastic cups which was nice for when we got food delivered. The staff was also very nice. I am returning to this hotel for another stay this week and I'm hoping and expecting it will be better than my last.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Vinnie D
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry that you were a bit disappointed with a few things. I am pleased though that despite a few issues, overall you did enjoy the hotel and you shared your positive experiences as well. I am sorry that you were unable to speak with anyone that could address your concerns while you were here as after reading some of them, most of them could have been corrected on the spot. I would like to know what room you were in so I could address the issues with the appropriate department. I am sorry about the TV fuzziness, the Internet, the refrigerator and the “jumbled” numbers on the clock radio. There is no question that the TV and Internet are provided by a third party and they did have to be called in to diagnose the problem. I am sure there are times at your house, as there are in mine, that the cable, TV or Internet isn’t working as it should and we have to summons a technician. I wish we could control these annoying inconveniences that we have come to expect but we can’t. I am honestly not sure why you were not able to contact the front desk as we had plenty of staff on. These other issues, although major concerns of yours, as they should be, could have easily been fixed on our part. As far as the blackout drapes go, all of our department heads have been in all of our rooms numerous times and none of us know of a room without them. We are now on the lookout for that room that is incomplete. Yes we do have a few rooms that are tiled, which many guests actually prefer but unfortunately we do have 18 or so different room types and we cannot show them all on the Web site due to space limitations. You will be happy to know that I did just place an order for new faceplates for the phones as I did see what you were talking about with the “50 cents per minute…” They have been corrected and in doing so, I also made locals calls free. The weekend you were here was the 2nd weekend that we had resumed 7 days a week operation. I know we did not have a full complement of staff back to work so what you experienced at the desk in the early morning could have happened. We have addressed the issue with all of our night auditors and how this behavior is unacceptable. I would like to assure you though that as we rapidly approach our season, we do have full time security that eliminates a night auditor from making rounds. As I mentioned earlier, thank you for your positive comments as well as you had mentioned many and you did focus on the unbeatable location, comfort, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff. Thank you. We look forward to your return.

With Hospitality,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Yonkers
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I just finished a painless reservation process with the front desk my helpers Name was Gi-Gi. Thank you so much for assisting me in my reservations for next month. I didnt feel any pressure or I didnt feel as if i was being rushed. Excellent Customers Service for the Booking aspect.

FYI: I will be checking in at the end of April. Stay tuned for part 2 of this review........

Claude

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank C W
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your 1st experience with the Paradise Plaza Inn with us and others. First impressions are always important and Customer Service is one aspect that I am constantly trying to stress to our employees and continually improve on. Gi Gi is very good and we are fortunate to have her. As much as we would like all guests inquiring about rates to book with us, we don't want them to feel pressured. It is human nature to shop the competition and we feel confident that we have the staff, product and price value that will keep guest coming back. We look forward to your stay.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

The manager of this hotel truly understands the importance of making the guests happy and making sure that their stay is all that it can be!
We have stayed at the Paradise Plaza Inn many times and kept coming back because the views from the balconies are beautiful and the rooms are great and have jacuzzi tubs. We recently stayed over the long weekend after having not been able to go on a vacation for 6 years. I called the hotel directly and made a reservation and got a premium room on the 8th floor and even got a returning customer discount and saved around $100 for the weekend which was awesome! The first two nights of our stay were not the best because there were technical issues with the jacuzzi tub which was disappointing and they did try to fix but it got to the point that our last day there they moved us to another room which was really nice because it had two balconies, it would have been awesome to have been in that room from the beginning, but we didn't let the issues ruin our trip but it was a little disappointing because every other time we had stayed here the experience was wonderful. After we got home I wrote an email to the manager expressing the disappointment and issues that we experienced during our stay and he has to be the best manager in the world and truly knows the importance of customer service because he absolutely has made things right for us and definitely has a return customer for many more vacations. This hotel is like all the other beach hotels but honestly the customer service is above and beyond at this hotel and I would recommend this hotel to anyone! From a romantic weekend to a family vacation it is just perfect!!

Room Tip: The best rooms are 805 and 802 they are bigger and atleast 805 has two balconies!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jen D
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you so much for you honest review. Again I apologize for the inconveniences you and your family incurred during your recent visit. I am extremely pleased though that we were able to resolve the issue to your liking and we haven't lost a long time customer. Customer service is one of the major details we are concentrating on this year with all of our staff. In this day and age it is so important and it is one of the main areas that can set us aside from our competition. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.

Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

The Paradise Plaza Inn is a clean hotel with a courteous staff. However, I reserved an "ocean front" room a few weeks in advance during off season, and was greatly disappointed when I was assigned a room on the second floor because my "ocean front" view was obscured by a very large "comfort station" (aka toilets!). The Paradise Plaza Inn should bill these rooms as Ocean View, but certainly not Ocean Front. So while the hotel is very nice, I may not stay there again unless I can be guaranteed a room on the 5th floor or higher.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Cindy F
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Cindy, thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am pretty sure you wrote this review during or right after your stay with us as we just recently had a situation where we were replacing tile and carpet in a number of rooms and we had a large kids group coming in that had to be on the same floor. Although it is technically the "off season" we were limited to the number of oceanfront rooms available so we did have to put many of our oceanfront arrivals on the second floor. Unfortunately there are 2 or 3 oceanfront rooms at the north end of the building on the 2nd floor that although they are oceanfront they do have a bit of an obstruction from the city owned changing/comfort station. I am pleased though that you found the hotel clean and the staff courteous. Please if you do decide to stay with us again, which I hope you do, definitely request a higher floor and we will do our utmost in accommodating your wishes. Unfortunately as with most if not all hotels, we can not guarantee anything although we feel 99% confident that we can at least meet your needs. Thanks again for staying with us and we do hope that you give us a second chance.

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I recently called to make reservations for September.

I spoke with someone at the counter who was very professional and courteous.

I am vacationing this year with a Vietnam Veteran who has multiple injuries from the war and has problems sleeping so I explained to her that his needs are either a hard sofa or a clean floor to sleep on to alleviate the aggravation in his back. She was able to suggest a room that sounds like it will suit all of our needs wonderfully. She even went as far as to explain the different views from the balconies of different floors to determine which would make my vacation even more memorable.

It isn’t often these days that you find customer service that is friendly and helpful.

Although I have not yet stayed at this hotel, she assured me that the hotel and rooms are in very good condition and that I will be very happy with my stay. After speaking with her, I believe that this will be a wonderful place and I am looking very much forward to spending my vacation here.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachel1218
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am extremely pleased to hear that your 1st impression of the hotel has been so positive. We are constantly striving to improve our customer service, friendliness and hospitality as in this day and age, first impressions and one on one communication is so important yet is often now between a person and a machine/recording. I feel confident that we will live up to your expectations and please, if we don't, stop and ask so we can correct the problem immediately.

Winchester, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I don't even know where to begin between power outages, clogged toilets, exploding lights bulbs, and no pillows. I'll start by saying I do not consider myself a difficult person and I am not that hard to please.
Ok, so 4 of us shared a room with 2 queen beds. First off, our room was nothing like we saw in the picture. It didn't even fit the description we read when we booked the room. The kitchenette was literally right beside one of the beds with only about 2 feet of floor space in front and we didn't have the living area that was described. We decided to just let it slide because we were ready to start enjoying our vacation.
The problems really started when we had to go through a total ordeal to get a pillow, which involved calling the front desk numerous times to ask, and waiting hours, before finally being told there were none. Seconds after i had walked by the front desk and asked for a 3rd time to get a pillow, and was told there were still none, i step onto the elevator with a hotel employee and ask him for a pillow. Miraculously he shows up at our door with a pillow within 5 minutes. The front desk/housekeeping apparently didn't want to be bothered to look around for one or just figured it was easier to brush me off then check to see if any had become available.
The next night I am taking a shower and getting ready to go out. Our bathroom had a big bulb in the middle of the ceiling that was set on a timer. I obviously had the light on while i was showering and as I'm looking up rinsing out my hair, THE BULB LITERALLY BUSTS AND GLASS EXPLODES EVERYWHERE. I'm in the middle of a shower at this point and there are large and small shards of glass all over the bottom of the tub, all over the floor outside, on my body, EVERYWHERE. I carefully rinse off and step out while everyone was standing outside the door asking me if i was OK and what had happened. We cleaned up as best we could and called the front desk to let them know what happened. Luckily, i was the last one in the shower so everyone was ready and we were still able to go out. When we come back a few hours later, the bulb had been replaced, but there were still shards of glass all over the floor. The large ones were gone, b/c we had picked them up, but you could still see pieces of glass everywhere. I cannot understand how maintenance wouldn't think to or want to sweep up in there? We obviously had no broom. So i call down and tell the front desk that we need the glass swept b/c we don't want to cut our feet. We decide to go out for an hour or so so they can take care of the problem. We get back, and they STILL haven't swept the floor. You would think that glass being all over a guests bathroom floor after a bulb exploded on them in the shower would put us near the top of the priority list for service. Not only were we not at the top, they were just totally ignoring us. I have NEVER been treated like this by hotel staff; just totally disregarded.

The next night, the women are blow drying their hair and the power goes out. At this point, b/c of what we had experienced, we were certain it would take them hours to flip the breaker or whatever else needed to be done. Fortunately, they did restore our power within about 15 minutes or so.

NEXT, the toilet clogs up. Despite the fact the front desk sounded totally annoyed by another call from us, we did get maintenance up fairly quickly to fix the problem. At this point, we started to get a feeling from the front desk like they didn't want to be bothered with us. Like we were a nuisance or something. It was just totally uncomfortable. Especially considering the fact that none of these problems were our fault. We didn't want the stress of dealing with room problems, or staff who were ignoring us or annoyed by us. We just wanted to relax.
As hard as you try, it's impossible to be treated this poorly and deal with so many accommodation problems and not have it put a big damper on your vacation. Instead of enjoying yourself, you think about how you're paying good money only to be totally brushed off and treated like you don't matter. The staff just did not care about us. They just wanted us to shut-up, pay our money, and go on our way. That's how we were treated anyway. You know how you're usually disappointed to have to go home at the end of a vacation? Well, we were excited to be leaving the Paradise Plaza and all these problems behind. The only positive thing i can think of is the location. Other then that, I could never imagine staying there again and i highly recommend you avoid it if at all possible.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Matthew T
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and share your comments with us and unfortunately your disappointment with your stay. It is tough with a smaller hotel such as ours with 18-20 different room types to be able to show them all on a Web site or in a brochure. Although you may have a room that is oceanfront there may be some differences from room to room and unfortunately it usually the “luck of the draw” as to which room you will receive upon check-in. I do apologize for the attitude you said you received from our staff, which actually surprises me. There is no excuse for maintenance to not clean up the broken glass or at least following through with Housekeeping to make sure it was done. The issues however such as the heat lamp bulb “exploding”, the blow dryer kicking off the breaker and the toilet getting clogged can happen anywhere including your home and are certainly not specific to the Paradise Plaza. I do agree with you however that the way they were handled is and I do apologize. I wish that you had asked for a manager so we could have addressed your issues immediately rather than waiting 6 months to write your review. Since we are somewhat seasonal our front desk staff does change, nonetheless I will share your review and experience with our current staff to remind them of how to handle a guest’s complaint and to properly follow through. Please accept my apology.

Pottsville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

This was my second consecutive year staying at PPI. Overall, the stay was nearly perfect. The staff is friendly & very helpful. They cater to your needs the best they can. The location on the boardwalk is perfect. The lobby is very well kept as was my room on a daily basis. The only two issuses I have is the somewhat dirty restroom in the pool area and the 2 fire alarms that went off in the morning the week of my stay (one being Labor Day & the other alarm 2 days later). I understand that things happen that are beyond anyone's control and you also rather be safe than sorry. It was more of an annoyance than anything. Looking forward to year number 3 this summer.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Kevin W
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Thank you Kevin for returning to the Paradise Plaza. We certainly appreciate all of our customers but especially the loyal ones that return on a regular basis! We are glad that you found the hotel clean, accommodating and met your needs. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the pool area, we obviously need to keep a better eye on that during the summer months when it is open. We have discussed plans already to address this in the upcoming season. I couldn't agree with you more about the annoyance of the fire alarm going off twice while you were here but I am glad to see and hear that despite the inconvenience you understand the safety issue and the fact that we don't have any control when it goes off, false or otherwise. Thank you and we look forward to your return this summer.