“perfectly decent hotel”
Review of Paradise Plaza Inn

Paradise Plaza Inn
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We went for 2 nights during our Spring Break, and the hotel met our needs. It was clean, and we appreciated the bottled water in our room. We loved being able to see the ocean from our room. The weather had turned so blustery we had little interest in being out on the boardwalk, so it was great to have the view!
Negatives were as follows: the note left by the bottles of water indicated we would be left 2 bottles each day, and we weren't. Also, no cups in the bathroom! I asked at the front desk for another pillow, and the young man on duty looked at me fairly blankly...sure enough, no pillow showed up.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Susie S
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

So sorry that the weather did not cooperate during you recent stay in Ocean City. I am glad you found your room clean and an ocean view to enjoy. It sounds as if you took advantage of the complimentary in room bottled water. I am sorry that we missed getting it replaced in a timely fashion. We are now considering placing cups in the bathroom as they are currently placed next to the ice bucket on the chest of drawers in the bedroom. That should be an easy fix. Do know with the start up of the season once again we sometimes find ourselves short of supplies before our standard stocking orders arrive. I am afraid that this may have been the situation with the pillow. I do apologize for this and hope you will give us a second chance as overall we feel like that we can easily meet your expectations and exceed most others. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed here fall 2011, clean place, great location, decent prices. We ate breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel, they didnt have everything on the menu and service was extremely slow. Other than that we would def stay here again.

Room Tip: we had a room overlooking the parking lot in the back of the hotel. it was nice view of bay and sun...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kimike611

Thank you for your response. I am glad we delivered on a couple of issues that were important to you and that was; “a clean place”, “a great location” and finally, “decent prices”. We take in pride in all of these features as it benefits everyone that stays here. I do apologize for the restaurant. Although the hotel does not operate the food and beverage it is leased out and we are in constant communication with the staff and owners of the TAPHOUSE so we can pass along any positive or negative feedback that we may hear. I know they were winding down a bit in the fall with the menu and staff especially after their first year of operation. Hopefully with the 2nd season getting ready to kick off, they may find that they might be able to remain open on a year round basis similar to the hotel schedule. If you liked the room overlooking the bay and the parking lot, you see one of our ocean front rooms. They are spectacular!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

The location was great and the rooms were clean. The beds were also comfortable. Sadly, the restaurant's grill was broken, which meant a long wait for breakfast (which was good) the first morning and no restaurant the second morning. We also experienced some challenges with the neighbors in the room next to us. It was disappointing that it took numerous tries to reach the front desk staff. However, once we did, the manager responded promptly, took care of the situation and stopped by to assure us that all would be fine. Everyone was very friendly. The managers' special was a great offer that included wine, 2 glasses, and many food vouchers, including one for $40. You couldn't beat the price for this time of year (St. Patrick's Day). We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Be sure to choose a room above the 2nd floor so that your view is not obstructed by the bathrooms (o...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank swhit618

Wonderful, more clean rooms, a great location and comfortable beds! I do apologize for the restaurant grille as the 9th STREET TAPHOUSE BAR & GRILLE just re-opened St. Patty’s Day weekend to begin their second year of operation. I guess all the bugs were not worked out. It does concern me that it took a number of times for you to call down to the front desk to alert my staff that there was an issue taking place in the room next to you. I do remember you as I was the one who responded and stopped by the room in question to address the situation with the occupants there and then your room to apologize and make sure everything with you all were OK. Again I am sorry and I certainly do appreciate you taking the time to report the disturbance to the desk so that it could be addressed and not get out of hand. Glad you enjoyed the Manager’s ESCAPE package that you had apparently booked. Hope you enjoyed the champagne and the souvenir glasses. I hope you return next St. Patty’s Day weekend.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We came to this hotel as part of a group of 10 families. The staff members involved in the booking process and check in were very helpful, especially GiGi and Denise. I had the opportunity to visit several different rooms while I was there with a group, and they were all very nice and very clean. We had the Dolpin 2 Suite and the layout was perfect and extremely spacious.

It was off-season, so the pool was not opened. However it did look very small and it is located in the parking lot, which is less desirable than one that is by the beach. But it personally doesn't bother me that much...I am there to enjoy the beach, not a pool!

We are in the process of working with Group Sales dept again to book another block of rooms for June. This hotel is a great value for your money.

- A very satisfied, repeat customer

2  Thank kalnix
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

I am not sure what group you were with but thank you and I hope everyone had as many positive things to say about the hotel as you did. I am happy check in went smoothly and quickly and yes GiGi and Denise and are both very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately as you mentioned, our pool is small and I would tend to agree, I would prefer it to be oceanfront but there are not too many in Ocean City that can be. Nonetheless, when it is open, it is clean and refreshing and only a few steps from the ocean! I am thrilled to hear that you are working with GiGi again to book another block of rooms in June. I also think that are price value of this hotel is far superior then any of our competition. See you soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Paradise Plaza is at great location 9th street and Boardwalk. Not far from the main area of boardwalk shops and restaurants.
We have been staying at Paradise Plaza inn since 2006.
The first year we stayed in the "Dolphin" suit it over looked the pool and slight view of the bay. The next visit we stayed on the 4th floor Ocean front, it was great! each time we stayed we had a different room, but really could not complain about any of them. One visit we did call late and were unable to stay in an ocean front room but we stayed in an ocean view room on the north side of the building... Not crazy about this view of the other hotel, side public parking and slight view of the ocean and boardwalk but the rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. The maid service never gave us a problem with our request. We did have one issue with the curtins in one room and the staff came to our room we showed them the issue and with in minutes they were taking the curtins down and informed us they would be replaced by the time we got back from lunch..Extra towels, soap anything you need their staff was always happy to accommodate you in every way. When we return to Ocean City we will be calling and making our reservations here at the Paradise Plaza Inn on 9th and boardwalk.

Room Tip: Ocean Front, its a little more expensive but worth it. Great view of the boardwalk and beach. Ocean...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Bobby D

Thank you for all of your positive comments about the hotel. Your first impressions mirror those of most of our guests, the great location on 9th street and the boardwalk and in the heart of the main area for shops and restaurants. We certainly appreciate your loyalty to the hotel and that you have been repeat guests for so long. As you mentioned, the Dolphin Suites are nice and roomy but the view is not its primary feature. With 18 different room types you do get a wide variety of selection and views and unfortunately with only 89 rooms we do not have many of any one room type. I am pleased that you found housekeeping and the staff both friendly and accommodating and the rooms clean. We constantly strive to meet these expectations. We look forward to your next visit to Ocean City. Do keep us in mind and please mention our hotel to your friends and family.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I was recently at the Paradise Plaza Inn for a high school reunion. The staff treated us so well. The rooms were clean and exactly as promised. I think we took over the hotel and restaurant for the weekend, but no request was a bother or trivial. I would suggest this hotel to any of my friends. The rooms were spacious.

Had a great time and the venue and it's staff contributed to the overall reunion weekend.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean front room! So nice to look out and see the water!
2  Thank rethlaw
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

What a great weekend. It seems that your entire group had a wonderful time despite the weather not exactly cooperating for being at the beach! We are glad you found the hotel, staff and restaurant up to your expectations. Hopefully you won’t have to wait for another anniversary reunion to come back to visit. Thank you for recommending us to your friends, we certainly do appreciate it.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed in a oceanfront room on the 6th floor from March 1st to 4th. Ill have to admit I was a little disappointed with a few things, although I will say overall the hotel was good. First of all several of the amenities I was promised were not provided or not fully provided. Many of the channels on the TV were fuzzy unless someone wiggled the cable, the internet didnt work almost the entire time we were there (although the internet password was changed literally the 1st day we were there as we contacted the front desk the next day about it, it was still spotty the entire time and we should have been informed of the password change),the room safe was closed without a combination, and the refrigerator was broken and froze everything in the fridge portion the whole time. The front desk answered the phone only once out of atleast a dozen different times we called for our various problems. Another thing is that the floor was tiled which wouldnt have bothered me if atleast one picture on the website featured a room with tiling, its very misleading. Also not even the clock radio, a simple amenity, was not functional. All the numbers were just scrambled. Another big thing that grinned my gears was that the website clearly advertises "black-out drapes" as a feature which I liked until the morning came and the room was just overwhelmingly filled with light to the point that I bought a sleeping mask. Although in all fairness the ocean front side of the hotel is also where the sun rises, but it I really don't see how the drapes could ever be considered "black-out". Another biggie is that also under services listed is free local calls, when in the hotel room the phone said it was 50 cents a minute for local calls. Also around 1 or 2am I walked down to the front desk because they weren't answering the phone and there was a walkie talkie along with a little sign that said saying that the person was on their rounds and to push the button and say hello for assistance. I try not to be burden and I don't like to bother people so I just went back to my room. I know I could've pushed the button and got the assistance I needed but I feel like I shouldn't have to do that, it makes me feel weird forcing someone to come back to the desk and deal with some little problem and I'm sure I'm not the only human being who feels that way.

Now for the pros of the hotel. The room had a thermostat that gave you complete and total control, you could turn it to heat or a/c and adjust the temperature and clearly hear the unit click on. I like this because some hotels dont give you much control or dont allow to get very cold and I've had trouble sleeping other places. The beds were very comfortable. The room was very clean when we came in. The view was amazing and the location is unbeatable. You can walk like 10 feet and youre on the beach. The balconies had chairs. The robes were a very nice plus. The room came with plastic cups which was nice for when we got food delivered. The staff was also very nice. I am returning to this hotel for another stay this week and I'm hoping and expecting it will be better than my last.

3  Thank Vinnie D

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry that you were a bit disappointed with a few things. I am pleased though that despite a few issues, overall you did enjoy the hotel and you shared your positive experiences as well. I am sorry that you were unable to speak with anyone that could address your concerns while you were here as after reading some of them, most of them could have been corrected on the spot. I would like to know what room you were in so I could address the issues with the appropriate department. I am sorry about the TV fuzziness, the Internet, the refrigerator and the “jumbled” numbers on the clock radio. There is no question that the TV and Internet are provided by a third party and they did have to be called in to diagnose the problem. I am sure there are times at your house, as there are in mine, that the cable, TV or Internet isn’t working as it should and we have to summons a technician. I wish we could control these annoying inconveniences that we have come to expect but we can’t. I am honestly not sure why you were not able to contact the front desk as we had plenty of staff on. These other issues, although major concerns of yours, as they should be, could have easily been fixed on our part. As far as the blackout drapes go, all of our department heads have been in all of our rooms numerous times and none of us know of a room without them. We are now on the lookout for that room that is incomplete. Yes we do have a few rooms that are tiled, which many guests actually prefer but unfortunately we do have 18 or so different room types and we cannot show them all on the Web site due to space limitations. You will be happy to know that I did just place an order for new faceplates for the phones as I did see what you were talking about with the “50 cents per minute…” They have been corrected and in doing so, I also made locals calls free. The weekend you were here was the 2nd weekend that we had resumed 7 days a week operation. I know we did not have a full complement of staff back to work so what you experienced at the desk in the early morning could have happened. We have addressed the issue with all of our night auditors and how this behavior is unacceptable. I would like to assure you though that as we rapidly approach our season, we do have full time security that eliminates a night auditor from making rounds. As I mentioned earlier, thank you for your positive comments as well as you had mentioned many and you did focus on the unbeatable location, comfort, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff. Thank you. We look forward to your return.