“Just another day in Paradise!”
Review of Paradise Plaza Inn

Paradise Plaza Inn
Ranked #11 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“Just another day in Paradise!”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stay in the 2 bedroom - 2 bath Dolphin suites. I wish they were ocean front! But they are beautiful rooms and very spacious. It is the PERFECT location on the Boardwalk. This is the 3rd time we've stayed at Paradise Plaza - and again I must say the staff is stand-out when it comes to friendliness. Just a very plesant staff. The hotel offers free bottled water, coffee, and name brand shampoos & soaps. The Tap House Restaurant offers very affordable prices. Parking is easy. The pool is big - bigger than most found on the Boardwalk. I just can't say enough.... very - very pleased.... Now -- just to figure out how to get the returning customer rates! I'm told they offer them!
Oh - one more thing.... the beds are so comfortable! And fabulous comforters -- not those typical scratchy yucky "hotel" comforters!

Room Tip: 5th floor has a laundry room which is a huge plus... We've only stayed in the 2-room dolphin...
1 Thank lesliematheny
, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Thank you for your continued patronage. I too wish the Dolphin Suites were oceanfront as they are extremely popular and the only rooms that can accommodate large families and then not to have any that overlook the ocean. It is a shame but well beyond our control. I am pleased to hear that you have returned a number of times. I am also thrilled that you found many of our services and amenities to your liking and that they exceeded your expectations, especially the friendliness of the staff as we have really been concentrating on that and some of the recent reviews, as I am sure you’ve seen, the guests haven’t had the same experience with our staff. Nonetheless we will continue to strive to have the best customer service in town. Yes and on your next visit, be sure to ask for the “Return Guest Rate” that will afford you the largest discount that we offer returning guests for their loyalty. Finally this year we were able to get rid of the dark, heavy bedspreads and lighten the rooms up with a lighter, whiter, refreshing bed ensemble. I look forward to your return.

Tim Goff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We just returned from a 4 night stay here and were very happy. We had a mini suite, room 713. This worked out really well with 3 small children, having 2 separate rooms. We also had 2 balconies, a small one off the back of the hotel and a large side one with an ocean view. I was pleasantly surprised with the size of the ocean view balcony and the fact that it has 2 lounge chairs and a regular chair that fit easily. It was also nice that there was no roof above us due to the design of the building, so it was a very open balcony. I also was pleased with the view of the ocean, it was much better than I thought it would be when it said "partial view". The comforters on the beds were very clean and bright white and the beds were comfortable. The carpet/ceiling/couch could use some updating. Another downside was the bathroom was very small, much smaller than an ocean front regular room that our friends stayed in. You couldn't get the door open and walk in and around to the shower without running into the toilet, unless you closed the door first, so it took some maneuvering. I realize this can't really be helped and wasn't that big of a deal. The wifi also did not work, we gave up trying after a couple days. They said there were too many people on it. We loved having the fridge, and the small kitchenette area was nice, especially having a 2nd sink. The pool was a little disappointing, from the pictures you can't tell that it is literally in the parking lot. We actually didn't use it until the last day when I took my son there, and I was impressed by the cleanliness of the pool. The beach and boardwalk access at this hotel are great, we loved having a Dairy Queen under the hotel and also a beach bathroom happened to be right in front of the hotel which was convenient. We would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank ColonRN
, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
I am very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay in Ocean City and at the hotel. I know what you mean about the large balconies on that side of the building on the upper floors, very spacious! I too think the new bedding ensemble is light, cool and aesthetically pleasing, certainly much more attractive than the darker, dated, bed spreads. Unfortunately we do have a few "oddball” rooms that have the smaller bathrooms but they are not typical of the entire hotel. I was made aware of the Wi-Fi issue in June and it indeed turned out to be a problem with our equipment being a little outdated to handle the traffic so we have upgraded our equipment and it is being installed the second week of July. The pool certainly isn’t what the hotel is known for due to its size but it still is nice amenity and enjoyed by those that get tired of the beach. As you mentioned, the location and convenience of the stores and eateries on property are definitely a nice benefit. We look forward to your return and thanks for your comments!

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Don't stay here! It's dirty, the service sucks. They charge a too muchmoney for crappy service.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Evaeve00
, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
I am sorry you were unhappy and displeased with your stay. It is disappointing to hear of your issues, although you were not really clear on exactly what the problems were, because many of our recent reviews have been quite positive in both cleanliness and staff friendliness. When you host over 2,500 room nights in the month of June we will have issues, we are only human and we will make mistakes and training is never ending especially with seasonal staff. Thank you though for letting me know so I can pass this along to my staff to let them know that not all of our guests are happy ones.

Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 July 2012

This is our second year staying at the hotel. Last year we had ocean view which was beautiful! The room was very clean and the staff at the hotel were great! The maids were more than happy to give you anything you needed and made sure you were happy with your room. This year we had problems, but it was out of their control. We couldn't get into our room the first night due to mechanical failures with the air conditioning so they put us in another room for the night. It was a nice room with a bay view. The view was pretty. The next day we checked on our room and they still didn't have the unit fixed and they didn't know if it would be fixed that day or not. They sent us to the 8th floor to check out a room they had that we could stay in for the rest of our stay. It wasn't the original type of room we booked. We booked a room with a jacuzzi. It was a large room with a king size bed and LARGE balcony. We had partial view of the ocean. It was on the 8th floor, which is the top floor of the hotel, and the view was amazing! You could see everything! At night it was beautiful with all of the lights from the hotels. Since we did not get our original room and we were inconvienced, they did not charge us for the rest of the week. We got 3 nights free. We only had to pay for the first night. My sister and her husbands family have been staying there for over 8 years and go back every year. They also had a situation one year with their room and they gave them two nights free for the following year. We will be back again next year!

3 Thank Terry M
, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
First of all I am sorry that the room that you had requested was unavailable due to mechanical difficulties but am thrilled to hear that you realize it was an issue that was beyond our control. Often guests don’t seem to understand or sympathize with us when we have plumbing, heating or A/C problems. We don’t want these issues anymore than a guest does and what many don’t seem to understand is these problems can just as easily occur at ones home and there isn’t a utility company or contractor out there that will be giving them any compensation. We are fortunate to have a variety of room types and even if someone does not get a requested oceanfront room, we have a number of partial view rooms that have other features that make them just as relaxing and enjoyable. It sounds like you were able to get one of these. It is not common practice for us to comp rooms if a guest is inconvenienced but what we do try and do is address the situation, find an alternate solution and fix the problem. Since specific room types are a request only and not a guarantee we sometimes do have to move guests around so we can accommodate everyone. Nonetheless, I am happy that you had an enjoyable stay despite the moving around and hopefully we have found a loyal customer(s) s long as you return to Ocean City. Thank You!

Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is the second year i've stayed at the hotel and have had great experiences both years. The employees we were in contact with were very friendly and willing to help, never felt like a bother to anyone. The room was very clean, loved having the free bottles of water in there, ample space. The oceanfront rooms are definately worth it. We enjoyed looking over the boardwalk and the beds were very comfortable. Had a late check in and the security guard offered to help us find a place to park as the lot was full. Will definately be staying at this hotel again next year.

Room Tip: The Marlin Suite is very nice, has two balconies, and has loads of space!
2 Thank Jessica P
, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Thrilled to hear that you are a repeat customer and plan on returning. We have really made an effort to work on our customer service mainly because in this day and age of computers and automated systems, one on one communication is a key area that can set us aside from our competition. Clean rooms are a must. Most of our guests will agree with you that the oceanfront rooms are well worth the additional cost as activity on the Boardwalk and the ocean front views are what OC is all about! Glad you enjoyed the complimentary bottled water. You mentioned the parking lot was full but I want to take this opportunity to let you know and any other guests that might be reading this; we do have a secondary parking lot just across the street (a stone’s throw away) so typically parking is not an issue as long as you know about the second lot. Fortunately security was able to find you a spot which was probably in that lot. We look forward to your return visit!

York,PA
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This was our first time staying at this hotel. It was clean and convenient. We chose a non- smoking ocean front room on a non- smoking floor. There were two different groups of guests that stayed in the ocean front room next to us during our stay that smoked on their balcony. The smoke drifted over to our balcony. We did complain to the front desk and they said they would call and tell them that smoking was not permitted on the balconies on non-smoking floors. When it happened again with the next group of guests, I confronted them myself. We have never had to deal with this before. The hotel clerk mentioned that the smoking policy might be changed in January to a completely non- smoking hotel. that's what it will take for us to return next year,

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ben7476
, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am pleased that you found the hotel clean and convenient; unfortunately I am sorry about the smoking issue. I specifically remember talking to you during your stay and despite me talking to the guests personally, I am sorry that you had to confront them directly as well. This has always been an issue, can guests smoke on the balcony of non-smoking rooms or can’t they? Although we tell guests that they can’t, we have very little control on what they do once they are in their room. Unless we constantly watch the balconies from the Boardwalk, it is difficult to enforce until we have a guest bring it to our attention. As I mentioned to you during your stay, we remain aware of the problem and are still considering making the entire hotel a non-smoking property. Please keep an eye on our Web site because if and when we become a non-smoking hotel, we will post it to alert future and repeat customers. If this does happen, hopefully it will be done before your next visit to OC so you can give us a second chance. Thanks again for your comments.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I really did NOT like this hotel. The outside of the hotel from the boardwalk looks very inviting, but this place is NO PARADISE to me,especially for the price!!! The hotel pool was tiny & had a view of the parking lot. It was dark & dim. Everything was old & did not feel very clean. IMO if the hotel is SUPER CLEAN that makes it for me. I suggest: new bright paint, bright white bed spreads,better lighting & a deep clean,everywhere. Then it might seem more like Paradise. On the upside the location can't be beat.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank 2012Happy2012
, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
I am so sorry that you were not pleased with the hotel. I see that you were last here in July 2011, just about a year ago so I am happy to let you know that most of the things that you were not pleased with have been changed. I am sorry the pool is small but with oceanfront property at a premium, it is difficult to have a large outdoor pool. At least we have one and for the most part, most of our guests come to enjoy our outstanding beach front, Boardwalk and central location. The majority of our reviews this past year have commented on the cleanliness of the hotel, the building was power washed and “spruced up” this May and we have completely upgraded our bedding ensemble by doing away with the dark bed spreads and going with all white triple sheeting with a white duvet and a accent scarf at the foot of the bed. They look much fresher and definitely lighten up the rooms. Since it has been a year since you were last here I would like to invite you back so you can experience the changes and give us a second chance.