“Very Nice Hotel”
Review of Paradise Plaza Inn

Paradise Plaza Inn
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Having booked a room in March for a couple of nights during the week of July 4th, and after reading the reviews for the past two months, I figured the Paradise Plaza was going to be a good choice since, for the most part, the reviews in 2012 are mostly favorable. My expectations were as expected and we had a fabulous time in OC. When we arrived around 11:30am on the 4th I was very surprised that we were able to check in immediately. I was counting on anywhere from 2:00pm - 4:00pm. So thank you very much for that! We stayed on the 4th floor ocean front. The room was very clean and bright. The carpeting was not worn nor stained. The ocean front view was spectacular and the teenage kids really enjoyed the balcony. From the balcony we had a front row seat, and cold beer, to watch the fireworks. The bathroom was clean and it looks like it may have been updated not too long ago. The one review mentioned the shower head was old, we had no issues with the shower head. As mentioned in other reviews, the bedding is all updated, no disgusting bed spreads. The beds were very comfortable. The kitchenette was a big plus for us, and it also has a decent size refrigerator. We had no issues with service or housekeeping, and when we requested more towels from the lobby desk, a knock was at our door within 20 minutes with the towels. Nice job!! The overflow parking lot is only a quarter of a block away, I had no problems parking there. Yes, the pool is in the parking lot, but we were there for the beach and surf, so we didn't even use it. The location is perfect. Instead of driving the car to go up to Jolly Rogers for the go-cart tracks, we used public transportation, the bus, which only costs one dollar each way per person and the bus stop is on the street right at the hotel. This is a very nice hotel and believe me, my wife and myself have stayed in some national chains in Atlantic City, Ocean City NJ, Baltimore, and Orlando FL that turned out to be dumps. With the ware and tare this hotel has to go through, especially each year during senoir week in June, I must say you keep a very nice place. We will be returning next July/August. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin H
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

I wish all of our customers were as pleased with you! I am very happy to hear/see that you noticed that the majority of our favorable comments have been in recent years and the “not so favorable” ones go back as far as 2002. We have made a lot of headway and improvements in the past few years and I am thrilled that you recognized that. I can say that you were fortunate to get in your room as early as you did because in the summer it is a hit or miss and with us turning over 40- 50 rooms a day it is often not until later in the afternoon that rooms become available for check in. Glad it worked out for you. I also appreciate that you look at things realistically and with a full house, the additional parking lot that is literally only a stone’s throw away is not the “6 blocks” some people make it sound. You mentioned a number of the improvements that we have made over the past two years in the rooms. I am not saying we are finished because we are not and we continue to make them every year and have plans for the upcoming year as well. Unfortunately some of the improvements are behind the scenes such as new laundry equipment and energy efficient water heaters that in the long run will add to the comfort of your stay. I am excited that your entire family had a great stay and look forward to your return next summer. Thank you!

Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

I really thought that this hotel was going to be like the tiny gross rooms in wildwood but to my surprise it was much more. We had a suite that was two rooms and if there had only been a bigger kitchen area it could be considered resort size. The beds were extremely comfortable by the way and the sheets were clean and comfy. They do bring you water each day if you allow housekeeping in which was nice. We also needed sheets for the pull out bed the first night and within 5 min of calling down we had fresh sheets warm from the dryer! The bathroom had some asthetically ugly parts, and there was a few dirty spots on the walls that were questionable, otherwise a clean room. I will say that the air conditioning unit was very loud and would start and stop to keep the air temp and it was very loud during any transition. No clocks in the rooms, no utensils or plates even though we had a refrigerator and a microwave. Location with his hotel is absolutely key. It is probably the most convenient hotel considering there is a bar/restaurant right downstairs. The boardwalk is right outside the door and the only bathroom on the boardwalk for 20 blocks is right there too! Awesome Awesome location!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Von1287

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I couldn’t agree with you any more on some of the issues you pointed out and we will certainly keep those in mind as we make additional upgrades this winter. I do wish I knew your room number as the items you mentioned in the bathroom concerns me especially since we did upgrade a few things such as shower curtains, pictures and shower heads this past year. I do know we have some noisy air conditioning units that we do try to repair or replace as we receive complaints. A clock you should have had, the utensils are not something we have put in the rooms in the past but it is something to consider. I am glad you enjoyed the location. Ours is key and that typically is one of the major features, among others that our guests find so inviting. Please keep us in mind for a future stay.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here in June of 2012. We were very happy with the size of our room, extremely clean, friendliness of the staff. Excellent location too. we will be returning!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Linda O
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you! I am so pleased that you and your husband were happy and more than satisfied with your room, the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff. These things we do have control over, the location not so much but everyone does seem to agree that we are truly blessed with an OUTSTANDING location! Be sure to visit us all year!

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Not sure if I want to share. I love this hotel. They give a great returning customer discount. We just returned from a week at the Paradise Plaza Inn. The rooms are huge with a large bathroom and jacuzzi tub. I love the complimentary bathrobes and water bottles. Such a nice touch you just dont see anymore. The location off of 9th street on the boardwalk is perfect. There is a Sunsations and T Shirt shop on the first floor. Make sure you tell them you are a guest at the hotel for a discount. Staff suggested a great place to eat for seafood and breakfast.
From the outside the Paradise doesnt look that spectacular but rest assure it is. I really do not want to share this great hotel so dont take my word for it :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DawnM296
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you for kind review. It is always a pleasure to hear of one’s positive experiences. We are very fortunate to have such a strong repeat customer base and although we do offer a returning guest discount and despite some negative reviews every now and then I feel quite strongly that the cleanliness of the hotel and the staff are primary reasons our guests do return so frequently. We do have a number of different room types and many of them do have Jacuzzi tubs as a popular feature. The complimentary bath robes come in especially handy with these rooms or any room for that matter after one has showered and you sit relaxing in the cool breeze on your private balcony. You will find that guests couldn’t agree with you more regarding the ideal location or the convenience of the eateries and souvenir shops located on property. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We have been coming to ocean city every year for vacation(20+ years) and this was our first stay here. From check-in to check-out i enjoyed everything the paradise plaza had to offer. The room was spotless, staff went out of the way to accommodate our every need, great location, and the taphouse bar&grill great. My wife and kids agree that the paradise plaza inn will be the only place we will stay when we come back to ocean city.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

I wish all of our guests were as happy as you were! I realize that can’t be the case but do appreciate your comments and praise. First of all it was your first stay with us. Thank you for giving us the opportunity. I am so glad you “hit” on all of our “hot buttons” or at least those issues that I have the staff concentrate on and hopefully deliver. Room cleanliness, hospitable staff, location (I have nothing to do with that but can I take credit?) and the TAPHOUSE. It is leased out but I do like to know when they are doing a good job or not as I can share the comments with their managers. I am glad that you may have found your home away from home. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed for four nights during the Fourth of July week. The room was pretty clean we were skeptical whenever we came to check in because we used the bathroom in the lobby and it felt like a gas station bathroom, you didn't even want to touch anything in there. Not really any complaints location was good, housekeeping brought towels, pool could defiantly be better located, I'm not a fan of swimming in a parking lot ( yes I realized you can't control that now just want everyone to know that that's where it is at.) and the partial view was still very nice. My one complaint is that my friend locked herself out of the room while my boyfriend and I were still on the beach so she went to the front desk and asked for a new key and they handed one over just like that. They didn't verify anything not even that the room was in MY name. I found that pretty sketchy there is noway that the front desk can keep track of who goes in what room at all times. At least verify that she was actually getting a key made for the right room who knows with people these days you could've let a complete stranger into my room!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sar428
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you for your most recent stay and comments. I hope you had an enjoyable and memorable 4th of July weekend. I do expect the rooms to be clean so I was glad to hear that yours was. The lobby bathroom, I do apologize for that but I can honestly say that is not the norm. I do know it can get that way on occasion because 90% of guests checking in ask for the bathroom location as they walk through the lobby door and unfortunately it is the only one we have. I can understand that after a long 3 – 5 hour drive that would be high on anyone’s priority list. The staff realizes the frequency it is used with 50 – 60 room checking in from 1 – 5 that we do try to routinely clean it in the early morning, lunch time, early afternoon and later in the evening. It can get overwhelming when people also use it as a changing room after leaving the beach and don’t bother picking up after themselves. Lastly, I too am concerned that your friend was able to go to the desk and get a replacement key to the room without being questioned. This is disturbing and clearly shows some lack of training or just plain carelessness. I admit this is a basic security issue that should never happen. Thank you for bringing it to my attention as I have shared your comments with the staff and how that is to be handled in the future. I hope this does not deter you and your friends from returning.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

very unwilling to accommodate needs in general. very lazy staff and non responsive management.

i called the hotel 2 days in advance to ask for an early check in because of logistics, and my twin babies needs. i was told verbally that it wouldn't be a problem over the phone. we arrived close to noon, and re advised the front desk staff of our situation. they took our number and said they would call. we waited patiently watching no less than a hundred people check in before us. while waiting i noticed a lady came to the desk and returned her key, and stated thanks for the late check out. this was at 3pm 3hrs later, it was very bad communication to have a family waiting with infants and to grant a late check out. this was just the star of the wait, check in is posted for 4pm we did not reach our room until after 530pm!!!!

i have 2 year old twin sons, and i booked in February, and stated that i needed two cribs via reservation notes. i was given one crib and, a whole lot of grief. they sent a pack and play covered in excrement and a very rich unbearable smell. i was promised by management that they had ordered cribs and made due for the time. two days later the same pack and play was sent to my room, in a slightly better condition. it looked like someone hosed it off. the front desk and management never properly addressed the problem. i was offended by being ran in circles and non direct answers.

my vacation was a disaster! my children were unable to sleep in one small crib. we had no place to lay them down for naps. there where a number of things that could have been done. there was absoloutely no attempts by the paradise plaza staff to meet my needs. it was very unpleasant i basically pleaded with some one everyday for help with no usable response.

i have a family of six total including two teenage boys. we were on the 5th floor where the cleaning staff had its office, and supplies. this office was also apparently used on daily basis by the staff to smoke pot! the smell was unmistakable daily!

no explanation, or compensation of any kind was offered for all the inconvenience's. not even a mention of fault or apology!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Brian A
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

I apologize that you had such a “disastrous” stay. That certainly is not our intention or something we are proud of. Your comment regarding the “lazy staff and non-responsive management” truly shocks me as I make it a habit to talk to any disgruntled guests and rarely does my staff not bring it to my attention when there is a potential problem. This review was the first I heard of any instance involving a disgruntled guest with twins and crib issues but then again I am not here 24/7. If it had been brought to my attention, I would have responded to you in person just as soon as I got word. I am sorry that didn’t happen.

As with the majority of guests that call prior to arrival to inquire about checking in before 4 PM, we constantly reiterate to them that we cannot and will not guarantee a check in prior to 4 PM. If you decide to arrive prior to 4 PM that is your prerogative but you are taking a chance. There is not a hotel in this town (or the country for that matter) that does not have a posted check in time, typically 4 PM with a few at 3 PM. Ours happens to be “check in is after 4 PM”. We have no control when prior guests check out of their room so you could have arrived before the previous guest in your room even check out?! Yes you may see other guests checking in early, before 4 PM because they are more than likely in a different room type. We have over 18 room types some with very few rooms in that category. So depending on what room type you had, there may have only be three of those rooms so we have to wait till one of those 3 rooms are clean because that is what you were reserved for. So I would like to reiterate to any quest traveling and staying at ANY hotel, don’t arrive too early before that hotel’s scheduled check in time or you just might have to wait.

I am sorry we didn’t have enough cribs. During the summer there are a lot of families traveling with children and when they show up without notice or decide to extend their stay and not return their crib, we may run out. We don't have a dozen cribs sitting around. Because of this I have mentioned to my staff if we run out of cribs and need more, we will have to make arrangements to rent them and pass along the cost to the guest. In your case, they were complimentary. Hopefully we can access a rental shop if it is not too late.

I understand that you were on the 5th floor and yes our housekeeping staff’s office/lunch room is on that floor and I can tell you without hesitation, despite what you are insinuating about my staff smoking pot on a daily basis that can’t be farther from the truth. I do not disagree that someone couldn’t have been smoking pot on that floor because we often have to approach guests with management and security and yes, sometimes get the police involved. This is something we can’t control and have to deal with the best we can on a case by case basis. After all, almost always they have been guests in the hotel.

I apologize that you were unhappy with your stay and certainly wish you had not experienced the inconveniences you did. Despite our goal of wanting to do everything right and making everyone happy, we can't, we are not perfect and we will make mistakes. It is human nature especially when you have dozens of employees and no one person can be everywhere at one time.