“Better than expected”

Ranked #10 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This place seems to get pretty mixed reviews. I thought the room was clean but overall could use some updating to the carpet, furniture, and especially bathroom shower. But like I said it was overall clean which is all I was hoping for. The linens appeared new which was nice. The room was also large and was quiet (couldn't hear neighbors or outside noise). The pool is in the parking lot and is not the reason to stay at this hotel. Also the parking lot is realtively small here but given we stayed during the off season, not a problem for us, but could be a problem during the season. Other than that, I thought for the location and cost, I thought this was a good value.

Room Tip: The partial view rooms on the 8th floor have a balcony that is at least twice as large as all the ot...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ckerber
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thank you for your honest review. I am glad that you were pleasantly surprised with the hotel. We definitely plan on updating rooms during the off season because they do take a bit of a beating during the peak shoulder and summer months. Yes, the parking lot is small in front of the hotel but is does accommodate more cars than our secondary lot across the street. Just to let our readers know; the hotel does have enough parking for all of our guests, even during the summer months, as long as guests respect our policy of one parking space per registered room except for the two bedroom suites, which are allowed two. I am glad to hear that you found the hotel to be a good value because it does remain one of the best values in Ocean City for an oceanfront hotel. I do hope you will plan a future visit and stay with us once again.

Tim Goff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
New Cumberland, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Arrived at 11:00 pm, room was ready, thank goodness. We had two queen beds with pull out sofa. Sofa bed was uncomfortable for teenage boy. Queen beds were okay. Air conditioner was noisy and not consistent in temperature. At first glance the room seemed fine, but then again we had driven 8 hours and were very tired. The next morning the dirtiness appeared. Surface cleaning seems to be the expectation of housekeepers. Hallway was packed every morning during cleaning with bags filled with garbage and dirty towels. Been to many hotels in my life and have never encountered housekeepers taking up so much space while cleaning. They are not very organized. Parking was a nightmare. Didn't care to leave my car in a lot across and down the street to overflow lot. Pool was disgusting. On a brighter note, the location was great if you want in the middle of the action, which was my intent as I brought my three teenagers. If it was my husband and I only, I would go further north and stay. The beach was clean and easily accessible. Their restaurant was adequate, but very noisy later in the day as the bar sits within the actual dining room. I witnessed a family with young children having to eat breakfast with five already slightly intoxicated patrons at the bar at 9:00 in the morning. All in all, it was an average hotel. Good points and bad points. I wouldn't stay here again. I would try another place a little further north.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments. Fortunately we are already planning to replace many of our sofa beds this fall. I’m sorry that your room was not cleaned properly during your stay. I do apologize for the clutter in the hallways. It is difficult to keep trash and linen moving when you have a full house but it is certainly something we can address and work on. Regarding the parking; the secondary lot is across the street. Almost every oceanfront hotel at this end of town has secondary and third lots and almost all of them are at least two to three blocks away from their hotels. As you must have experienced, parking in general in Ocean City is limited so we actually I feel quite fortunate that our second lot is only across the street as compared to our competition. I am glad your kids found the location convenient as most of our guests do. As far as the TAPHOUSE Bar & Grille goes, like most casual sports food and beverage establishments, the bar shares the same area as the dining area.

Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

What attracted me the most in booking this hotel is the location. It is by the boardwalk and close to Jolly Rogers amusement park - which my kids love to go to.
The staff is very friendly and check-in/out is a breeze. Also, I love that the housekeeping replaces everyday the shampoo/conditioner/soap even though the ones from previous day hasn't ran out yet.
However, even though my room is clean and the bathroom is big, it badly needs updating. The furniture, mattress and beddings are obviously old and worn out. I saw in reviews that there are some rooms that's already been updated and I tried to get one of those rooms by calling and asking for it days before my trip. Unfortunately, it did not happen - which I completely understand since calling ahead and requesting for something like that doesn't guarantee that I'll get it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
How I hate to hear that we were just OK. I am sorry that you were disappointed with a couple of things but on the flip side, glad there were some amenities that you did find appealing. I will take your issues to heart and make a concentrated effort to address them in the upcoming shoulder and off season when we try to correct many of our shortcomings, especially after the busy summer season where everything can take a beating. I am disappointed to hear about the bedding. Our bedding has been updated in all of the rooms and we definitely get a lot of compliments on it. The furniture on the other hand is not as new but we have addressed the issue and have planned some replacements of the sofa beds in the next few months. I do appreciate the fact that you mentioned that you had requested something specific but also understand that we cannot guarantee it. We honestly do try our best to accommodate all special requests but sometimes we just can’t and it is based on various arrival and departure patterns as well as room types. Those three variables limit us and 99% of the time it is the cause of why we can’t meet all of the requests of our guests. Thank you for understanding.

Absecon, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a great stay! The hotel staff was great. Our room was cleaned and stocked with fresh towels and bottled water daily. The location was perfect. We walked everywhere we wanted to go and left our car in the lot. The $10 vouchers to Tap House were a great surprise!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Beks0818
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. I am glad that you had such an enjoyable stay. That is our ultimate goal to have every ones stay as pleasant as yours and helps me realize that we are doing a lot of things right despite falling short of some guest’s expectations. Thank you.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family stayed in the 2 bedroom 2 bath dolphin suite. We arrived 15 mins before check in and were told that the maids just went in to service our room we already had our bags on a cart so we waited in the lobby a few minutes after 4 we were told the room was ready. That should have been our first hint - housecleaning doesn't do much. We had 3 adults staying in the two queen beds room and 2 adults staying in the king room. When we arrived at the room we noticed that there were dents all over the door and the bottom of the door was bent - trouble all weekend with this door closing properly. Entering the room we realized there were no updates done to this suite at all. Beds were gross - bed skirt was two times the size it should have been, dirty stained all over and awfully wrinkled. The sofa in the room was also worn out and disgusting we didn't use that at all during the stay. The king room was barely large enough to move around the bed. Had a large red stain in the carpet at the end of the bed. The shower head was falling out of wall. Air conditioner was not working in that room so service had to be called. Got back to the room later that night and air conditioner was corrected but dirt was all over bed from ceiling tiles being moved and a small bug was crawling on the bed. First nights sleep didn't go so well the queen bed that my husband and I slept in sunk in towards the middle so the entire night I tried to crawl out of the middle where I kept rolling. Left room to head to beach and door was open for maintenance closet trash all over floor - disgusting! Got back from beach later in day housekeeping still hadn't arrived they were in our hallway and asked if we needed service we said yes and they came knocking within 2 mins so we had to get ready while 2 maids were in our room. Watched mirror get wiped off with dirty towel no cleaner. Asked for more washcloths this time because 2 were originally put in room for 3 people. This time I received 2 again and had my husband go back out and ask for more. He was handed more hand towels - had to explain wash cloths are the small ones. Parking lot is very small because the pool sits on the one side of the lot. We hardly ever got a spot had to go to overflow parking which is down the road on the other side of the street. One trip into parking lot there was a intoxicated man standing in the spot refusing to move out of the way. Forgot to put parking pass back in Jeep (can't leave in while driving with no doors) parked in overflow lot and received two notices next morning that vehicle was to be towed. That would have been a perfect end to this horrible stay.

Room Tip: don't stay in dolphin suite - needs updating
1 Thank Dawn F
I sincerely do apologize for your disappointing stay. This is certainly not the norm for the type of service and/or accommodations we provide. I am not going to make excuses but just accept the fact that we are not perfect and we failed in providing you with the vacation stay you were hoping for. Fortunately from reading other reviews, I think you will read/see that this is not typical.

Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stay here every time we're in Ocean City. Last time was in July 2013. Everything was wonderful except the weather.

We've had trouble this year because my husband started a new job (limited time off) and we were all booked for a nice long Labor day weekend when a family emergency occurred, so we had to cancel. We tried to book for another weekend in September but they were full and even though it was passed the 72 hour cut-off for a refund they gave us our deposit back. We are forever grateful and we will come back in October and many more times in the future. We will never stay anywhere else.

The incredible staff is kind, professional and go out of their way to treat you special.

Room Tip: Ocean front with Jacuzzi are the best rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pmcc44
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind review. I am sorry to hear about your family emergency and hope things work out. I am glad to hear that we have earned your business. Best of luck to you and your family during this trying time.

Skillman
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The hotel was dirty and there was no service. It is nothing like it is described on their website. I would not recommend this hotel at all. The rooms were old and dirty. The door to the bedroom was broken and my daughter could not open it to get out. The price was not worth it and there are so many other properties at the same location that I heard was much better. We were there just one night but that was more than enough

5 Thank Debra Y
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay. As I have mentioned before and have tried to explain, we are only human and we will make mistakes. Cleaning over 2,600 rooms each month in July and August and being in the service industry with a number of ever changing employees, we are bound to miss things and unfortunately, on occasion disappoint a guest. It is certainly not our intention and trust me; I would love to get through the summer with absolutely no issues! I would have hoped that you called the front desk to have maintenance come repair your bedroom door. As far as the price value not being there, I beg to differ and from my experience and listening to our repeat customers, we do have one of the best price values of any oceanfront hotel in Ocean City.