“Good deal and location but bathroom needs TLC” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Paradise Plaza Inn
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good deal and location but bathroom needs TLC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Paradise Plaza Inn is in a great location. Heart of the boardwalk and in the middle of all the action. Good amount of parking and overflow across the street. They have great offers for offseason. We used the two $10 tap house certs and the $40 dinner voucher. Was a little disappointed that the "chilled champagne" as it was sparkling grape juice. In a past visit, it was actual champagne.

The bedroom/living area itself was decent and was clean; room 606. The bathroom on the other hand needs help. Our drain stopper was broken (completely shut and immobile) when we got in the room. The staff was attentive and addressed the issue quickly. When it came time to shower we noticed quite a few other issues, the curtain rod brace in the center was broken, the tub handle plate was almost completely screwed off. The jacuzzi jets did not work (which was a bummer); button was extremely hard to push in and nothing happened. There was no bath liner, so when taking a shower the floor would get soaked. There was no exhaust fan (or it did't work) and the heat lamp would not shut of when timer ended….had to force it off. Bottom line, the whole room needs to be updated; new paint and fixtures would even help in the short term.

I understand the wear and tear in OC….a lot of careless people tend to tear stuff up. Especially if it's not their own; which is not right. Paradise is still one of the better choices in OC and is fair for a budget.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael M
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
I am pleased to see that you recognized our “great off-season” offers. I want to apologize for your disappointment with the sparkling grape juice with your “Escape Package”. That was our mistake as we “assumed” that you did not want champagne since you had noted on your reservation that your wife was pregnant. My apologies and if you had brought it to our attention during your stay, we would have corrected it immediately. I am sorry about the issues with your bathroom but glad to hear that the staff addressed them quickly. Also thank you for letting me know your room number as I have addressed the issues with our maintenance department and am having them take care of anything that has not already been corrected. Thank you for sharing with potential guests; our fair and good price value.

Tim Goff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We visited the Paradise Plaza this past weekend. I can tell you it was great. We arrived Friday afternoon at about 4:30 - given our room key and about 15 minutes the desk called to ask if all was good. It is clean, the views are fantastic and the price is reasonable. I would recommend this to anyone visiting Ocean City. Also the 9th Street Taphouse is a great place to eat. Take the elevator down and you are there. From the last trip I used the photo of the sunrise for the cover of my Calendar. Have to love it. Will visit again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am glad to hear that you have become one of our loyal “repeat customers”. We are very fortunate to have such a following of returning guests and we certainly try hard to do as much as we can to retain our current guests as well as attract new ones. We look forward to your future visit.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Because of the other great Trip Advisor reviews, I decided to stay at the Paradise Plaza Inn on a Saturday night at the end of April. I was looking to surprise my boyfriend with an overnight beach trip for his birthday. I wanted something with an ocean view that wasn't too expensive. When I booked my very reasonably priced room (for Ocean City boardwalk prices) online through the hotel website, in the comments section, I did say it was a surprise trip for my boyfriends birthday. When we checked in to our room, we not only had the ocean front room I requested, but we also had a side deck. In the room, they had placed balloons, a bottle of champagne and 2 glasses, a rose and little trinkets out. My boyfriend was very touched by that little extra - it really made the trip that much more special for him - and it was a great surprise for me as well, as I was not expecting that. The only staff I had any interaction with were the two girls working the front desk and they were super friendly and helpful. The room was large and clean, and the views were amazing! It was nice being right on the boardwalk - it allowed us to get out and grab dinner or drinks without walking too far. We had a great time! This hotel definitely went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant, and I will definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review! I am so pleased that the both of you were pleasantly surprised and your boyfriend’s birthday was a memorable one. It is compliments and acknowledgement like this that may it worthwhile and rewarding to all of our employees. Thanks again!

owings mills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Sadly, I only stayed at the Paradise Plaza Inn for one night during the Ocean City Half Marathon. We arrived later in the evening and found our room to be very clean, spacious and comfortable. The bed was super comfortable and huge! When the sun came up the next morning, we discovered a HUGE balcony with a great view of the beach and ocean! The shower was clean and the water was hot and plentiful. We had to check out shortly after the race and didn't get the chance to use the $10 coupon for the Taphouse that was on site :( The staff at the front desk was friendly and attentive as well. I hope to be back in the summer!

Room Tip: The rooms on the 8th floor seem to be the best!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Samanthah1
Thank you for staying with us during the OC Marathon. My daughter also participated in that race that weekend. It is unfortunate that you were only able to stay one night only to arrive late and leave early after your race. Please do try and return when you can stay longer!

Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had a really nice relaxing two night stay at this hotel over Easter 2014. My partner and I would like to return sometime in high season. We arrived after a long drive around 11pm and the night time staff was efficient, friendly and jokey guys making arriving seem like fun despite the late hour. The day-staff, were more professional, and gave us great tips on restaurants the locals use including a neat spot for a quick Easter brunch.
The hotel is right on the boardwalk, it was not high season, but I bet in high season it would be in the fun, but not in the worst noise. It is safe and easy to get to the beach and boardwalk even at night. The hotel gave us coupons of the Taps grill, which we did not use, but it would have been nice to get a free drink or breakfast - nice touch!
The room was very clean, not posh, but not run down either, no weird smells. It had a good shower, and supplied robes and had lots of storage for clothes etc. We had two comfortable double beds and our room had a sofa and small table, nice sized TV. The balcony over the boardwalk was the best part and we slept with the door open to hear the ocean. The room had a microwave and medium sized fridge, and one cup at a time coffee maker, but no plates, bottle openers, cups or cutlery or anything like that. Empty cupboard above the kitchenette, where these things might be stored our snacks, if we were there longer it would be easy to have light meals inroom.
The elevator is very slow, and I tended to use the steps instead which were not that well marked or inviting. The elevators were definitely a negative. I would not over pay for this hotel, but for a decent price, you get good service, a clean bed, a great location, free parking and an ocean view.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are well worth it
2 Thank Goplacesfromhere
Thank you for staying and sharing your Easter weekend with us. We appreciate your kind remarks. I do apologize for the “slow” elevators. Honestly they are no slower than other hotel that is sold out and admittedly they do get a workout as summer quickly approaches and more and more nights, both weekday and weekend are sold out. We still believe that we are one of the best price values in town for an oceanfront hotel that is clean, comfortable and friendly.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Our reservations were for one Saturday night stay. When booking online at the beginning of that week, I selected the option for a beachfront room. Although the website said the option was not guaranteed, I called the night before we left and was told with confidence that my room would be as I booked. The staff member was excellent on the phone. Upon arrival at the check-in time @ 4pm, the room was ready and the staff was friendly and competent. The room and bathroom looked and felt very clean. The room was also an absolutely adorable two-twin bed/w a Jacuzzi in the bathroom. There is a little balcony that overlooks the boardwalk and the beachfront view is absolutely lovely even with the all-glass sliding doors closed. We found parking to be easy even though we were in the "over-flow" lot across the street. The location of the hotel to attractions is a huge plus. The beachfront room wasn't cheap @ 150+ for a night, but I felt the experience was totally worth it. This would be highly recommended for young couples or a group of friends hanging out in OC for the weekend. I hope your experience will be as wonderful as mine!

Room Tip: The beachfront room is great, although if you're on the 1 or 2 floor, I can see how it could get...
1 Thank OsB4Hoz
Thank you for your nice review. I am glad you found everything accommodating. I would like to mention a side note to those considering the Paradise Plaza that all but three of our rooms (king beds) have 2 queen size beds and not “twin” size beds as indicated in your review. I just wanted to clarify this to potential future guests that this is not the case and assume that this is the type of bedding we have in our rooms. We hope to see you again as a return guest.

Clinton, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Super thanks GiGi, we appreciate the warm friendly welcome upon our arrival. Suite #704 accommodations were superb! The ocean view with balcony - the sound of the ocean lulled us to sleep nightly. There is construction taking place on the outside which might detract a little from the curbside view. However, once you enter this older hotel you will see how well maintained it is. Instead of carpet on the floor, which holds odors, dirt, etc., there is tile. A bottle of water, for each occupant, every day of your stay. The added bonus was a GROUPON special. My husband just retired three weeks ago and this was a good three day get-a-way. I appreciate the fact that you do not have to pay for parking. So many hotels have this added cost - which is a negative in my opinion. The heating/air conditioning unit was extremely loud. We loved our stay so much we are looking for another bargain. We have also told several of our friends about this hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean View is a MUST. There is a kitchenette - bring items from home that just need microwave heati...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for acknowledging Gi Gi, she is truly an asset for us. You sound like many of our guests that love to keep their slider door open so they can hear the gentle sound (or roar) of the ocean. I apologize for the construction in front of the hotel that was going on during your stay. Naturally with many construction projects, we had no idea of when it was to start and then with the wild winter weather, there were delays. It should be completed before Memorial Day which is right around the corner. I am sorry about the loud heating/AC unit. We try to address that problem whenever we are made aware of it. This was our first experience with Group On and had many favorable comments so we do plan on repeating the three month campaign in the fall. Thank you for passing along your experience with your friends and our readers alike.