“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #11 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Newark, Delaware
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We visit Ocean City several times a year and my teenagers have begged to stay at a hotel on the boardwalk. No where near the top of my list, but when I saw the offer for Paradise Plaza on Groupon, I thought I take a chance. The price was right and the Tripadvisor reviews were ok.
Well I was pleasantly surprised. Arrived at the hotel at 1PM and our room was available. Room 206, ocean front and my first thought was too close to the boardwalk. Elevators were clean, halls were cleaned and had a nice fragrance. The room was 2 double beds, a kitchenette, and a couch. Enough room for my crew.

What made this hotel a surprise. The cleanliness. The bed linen was very comfortable ( and I travel frequently, staying at top line hotel) and noticeably soft. The bathroom respectful and clean. The balcony over the boardwalk -- high enough not to be right in the mix, but close enough to feel the excitement and the pulse of the beach. I was concerned we might have noise at night, but it was quiet. The staff was also top notch. Very friendly.

My only con was the minor construction on the front of the hotel. It was a little eyesore but didn't take away from the experience.

For a short stay at the beach, I will come back again.

1 Thank LovetoRoam527
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay. I wish all of our reviews were as kind as yours. We certainly do hope to see you again in the near future.

Tim Goff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were there last weekend and have stayed at the Paradise many times in the past. Every time, the service, the staff and the rooms have exceeded our expectations. It's a wonderful place to be! The ocean view is absolutely beautiful!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank aerosmith001
Thank you for your kind compliments. We appreciate your business.

oceangal914
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I visit Ocean City every summer and decided to try this hotel. Upon arrival I was asked for the credit card I used to make the reservation. She ran my credit card several times and told me it came up declined, which is very embarrassing. We gave her another card, received our keys and proceeded to our room. I immediately called the bank and was told my account was fine and that she typed in the wrong number three times. After we settled in, I went down and told her what they said. She just looked at me. No apology or anything. Our room was average at best. Floors were dirty. We could feel the sand when we walked on the floor. The latch on the door going to the balcony was broken. We were only staying for 2 nights, but if it had been longer we would have definitely requested our money back and gone elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oceangal914
I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay. We are human and we do make mistakes. Our standard practice is to scan credit cards for exactly this reason; to eliminate inputting incorrect credit card numbers. There are also times, with all electronic equipment there can be a disruption in the Internet, which can cause a connection to fail briefly. Please accept my apology for my staff not acknowledging your concern. Being peak season, at the beach with a full house, sand is tracked through constantly and can appear or reappear only minutes after a floor or elevator has been vacuumed. We do try our best to keep up with the heavy traffic the best we can.

With hospitality,

Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Great location on 9th. We had an amazing ocean view room (406) with a balcony and 2 queen beds plus a sofa bed. The room was spacious and clean with a small kitchenette.

We were on the boardwalk near tons of shops/eateries and beach entrance directly across from the hotel. We were also 1 street from the bay side and could easily ride to B to all the hot spots in Ocean City.

You can only park 1 car in the very small on-site lot. We found free parking a few streets away but it was inconvenient. The lobby entrance has some minor construction which was an eye sore but you could still easily access the hotel. The elevators were very slow and we took the stairs most of the time. Only 1 of the elevators accesses the on-site restaurant, which we didn't know and spent time riding throughout the hotel. Hotel does give you $10 toward the Taphouse food/drink for each night you stay. We used ours for breakfast.

There were quite a few bachelorette parties and 21st bday parties but if you go to bed early - be prepared for some rowdy neighbors.

Room rate was reasonable since we split it by 6. Not sure I would stay here if I came with my husband and son. But overall, very pleasant stay at an ocean front hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank allisonh51
Thank you for your review. Am glad you found the room comfortable and clean. We do have a great location, ideally situated within walking distance to tons of activities. Unfortunately, although we do have parking for all of our guests, if we are sold out, it is almost impossible to offer additional spots to guests travelling in more than one car. All registered rooms are entitled to one parking spot and those guests in a Dolphin Suite are entitled to two spots. I apologize for the minor construction. That project has taken longer than expected and unfortunately we have been at the mercy of the contractor. Fortunately that is now wrapping up.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The staff at Paradise Plaza Inn was amazing, I arrived early and my room was not ready yet but they let me park early and let me store my breast milk in their staff fridge. They also allowed me to use their conference room to nurse by baby. Once the room was ready I received a call by the front desk and was allowed to check in early. The next day at checkout time they once again allowed me to store my milk so that I could continue my vacation at the beach! I'm amazed at how considerate they were! The only down side was that they only provided one parking space per room and the lobby was quite small but the service made up for it entirely. The rooms, on the other hand, were spacious and well kept and the view was amazing. I will definitely be staying there on my next visit!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grecia O
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to have you as our guest. I am pleased to hear that our staff went out of their way to accommodate your special needs. I am particularly pleased to hear that you plan on returning for a future visit. We appreciate your business.

Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our family came down to Ocean City this past weekend June 6th-June 9th for our kids Sand Soccer Tournament. This is our third year staying at the Paradise Plaza Inn on 9th street and we couldn't have been more pleased. We were originally told that we couldn't check in until 4:00 p.m. and much to our surprise we were able to check in when we got into Ocean City at 12:00 p.m.(we left early to beat the traffic) The staff was so friendly and more than accommodating to our needs. Our room was very clean, and I can't say nicer things about the cleaning staff. Our room wasn't cleaned after being out of the room for 6 hours on that Sunday. When we came back we realized it hadn't been touched yet. I saw the cleaning people in the hallway and asked them when they thought they could clean it because we wanted to get ready to go out. They stopped what they were doing and said "They would do it right now". We were so appreciative and thankful for that. We already booked our room for next year's Sand Soccer Tournament. Definitely one of the best hotels in Ocean City Maryland.

1 Thank Nicole K
Thank you for your return patronage. We truly appreciate our return customers that are so loyal. We also love playing host to many of the Sand Soccer Tournament families. I do apologize for the time it took servicing your room. We do try and get to our check out rooms first thing so we can accommodate those guests arriving early as we know that they want to be checked in as soon as they arrive if possible. Unfortunately this means that our stay over rooms usually get serviced later in the day. We do try to accommodate everyone the best we can and am pleased to hear that the staff stopped what they were doing to tend to your needs.

Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Manager Jen was great at accommadating a few families that chose to stay at the hotel for the Soccer Tornament. She made sure our rooms were ready early for when we arrived and called to inform us that it may be a little later than she anticipated due to them looking at the sofa bed. When we arrived, she personally went and checked on our room to make sure it was ready. The whole staff was nice and personably and ready to help.

Thank you for a good experience.

Room Tip: I personally liked having the ocean VIEW. It allowed us to see the beautiful ocean but there was no...