“Disappointed”

Ranked #11 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
new jersey
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I took our daughter and family on a 5 night vacation. We were very uneasy about coming to this hotel because of it's reviews. We stayed in room 516. A 2 bedroom suite. Our room wasn't ready until after 4. We arrived about an hour early with a 2 year old and a 6 month old after a 5 hr trip. I think they could have been a little bit more accommodating and maybe put a rush on the room. Some of our issues were. The door to the room stuck so bad the baby woke up every time you tried to enter or leave the room. The cable didn't work, luckily my son-in-law works for a cable company. Wi-Fi is next to none. Both bathroom toilets took forever to flush and the bathtub filled up with water during our showers.Not a good thing for a disabled man who loses his balance. Our bed in the extra bedroom laid on a broken box frame. The water was outdated by a month. Never thought of looking but on our last day for some reason I looked. My husband and I are not the kind of people to complain. So we didn't. We made the best of the situation. The hotel is very dated. For the money we paid I would expect a lot more. Maid service was a different time every day. Usually after 4 so we would just ask for towels and water. We replaced our own garbage. Parking is ridiculous! My husbands sister arriving the day before us stood in a parking space so my handicapped husband could park. There is NOT enough parking for the amount of rooms they have.You should be assigned a numbered spot.

Now for the good things. The hotel is perfectly located. Steps from the beach. Our air conditioning worked very well. Water pressure was very good. The pool was very clean. Elevators were ok.
Paradise Plaza Inn needs to put some money into this place. Its a very nice place if it had a little TLC.
My advice, make your own fun. You can't please everyone.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend Room 516. Your view is the parking lot, pool, and a very small bay view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
I can certainly understand how anxious you were to get into your room after your 5 hour trip with two young kids. We are very accommodating and most often all of our arriving guests are in their rooms before 4 PM. We only have four two bedroom suites, like the one you were in. We have no control over when previous guests vacate their room so we can get into it. As far as putting a “rush” on the room for you, what do we do with the other 30 or 40 rooms that have also arrived prior to check in want to get in early too? If rooms are not ready when guests arrive, we always give out their parking pass and allow them to park and change cloths if necessary. We even offer to call them if their room becomes ready before 4 PM. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced, however all of them could have easily been corrected by our maintenance department if you had not waited till check out to let us know. I wish you would have brought them to our attention sooner, we would have not thought of you as complainers. Like all hotels, we too are not perfect and have issues. We need to have these types of things brought to our attention so we can address them immediately. I do need to correct you about the bottled water. The water is not outdated. If you had read the label and date more closely, the date printed on the bottle is a “produced” date not an expiration date. I wouldn’t think that water had an expiration date. Despite what you said, there is ample parking for all registered guests. Guest’s with handicap stickers can park in any empty space. We can’t help that the 5 handicap spaces in front of the lobby were taken. As far as assigning numbered spots, what if you checked in and your assigned spot was across the street in the secondary lot? I doubt if you would like that. I think parking on a first come, first serve basis works the best. FYI, all Dolphin suites (the 2 bedroom suites) are Bay view; overlooking the bay, pool and parking. None have an oceanfront view. I do appreciate you sharing the fact that there are positive things about the hotel.

Tim Goff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The only hotel I stay at in Ocean City MD! Great staff, clean comfortable rooms! Prime location with everything you could need in OC in walking distance. Oceanfront, jacuzzi tub, nice balcony, great pool & the best shops within the building.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for making us your 1st choice when you come to Ocean City. We DO appreciate your business as well as your kind words.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Paradise Plaza is a great little hotel on the boardwalk. We've stayed there several times and wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Ocean City. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful, including accommodating our room request. And the view of the ocean from our ocean front room was spectacular. We will definitely return the next time we're in Ocean City.

• Stayed August 2014
I am glad to hear that you are one of our many returning guests and you took the time to write a review to share with other potential customers. We can always use the favorable comments as it seems that every time we receive a negative review it takes 10 positive ones to make up for it. Thank you!

Bolivar, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We enjoyed our vacation very much. We stayed at this hotel the beginning of August 2014. We had a room with an Ocean Front/Boardwalk Balcony which we enjoyed very much. The hotel was very quiet. We did not have to wait for the elevators as previously described as other visitors who complained about that. Front desk staff was very nice. The only problem we had was we ran out of toilet paper and there was not a spare in our room. I called down to the front desk and they never brought one up. I had to go out to the Cleaning staff cart and get my own roll of toilet paper and we never did get one delivered to our door. The Wi-Fi was very slow and pretty much nonexistent at times. We enjoyed being able to park our car and not move it. We used the bus transportation system. We would definitely stay here again. It was also nice to have beach access right in front of the hotel. We enjoyed the kites that we could see from the balcony and we also saw dolphins and many boats coming in from fishing as there was a Marlin Fishing tournament. We loog forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get the ocean front balcony. It is worth it just being able to sit out on t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for your review and comments regarding your stay. I apologize that a staff member(s) “dropped the ball” regarding the toilet paper. There is no excuse for that. The Wi-Fi, I do apologize for that, instead of commenting on that, you can take a look at some of my previous responses that addresses that situation. We too look forward to your return visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This is my 3rd time staying here and it won't be my last. We arrived very early, room wasn't ready, but we were given our parking pass and she took our phone number to call us if our room was ready before check in time. We got that call! The staff is so friendly and helpful. Anything we needed, they were on it. The room was clean, the view(bay) and location were perfect, although next year will be ocean view or ocean front. Parking is limited on the main lot, but there is overflow parking across the street, so no major problem.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to once again host your family during your recent visit to Ocean City. Love to hear that the staff is friendly and accommodating. We truly appreciate our loyal returning guests and thank you for your business.

Hagerstown MD
Reviewed 16 August 2014

True to my 2013 review, when we returned to Ocean City this year, we returned to Paradise Plaza Inn. And glad we did. To repeat my praise from my previous review, the location is great. This year we opted for an ocean front jacuzzi room and were quite pleased. As promised, the old bulky TV had been replaced by a nice LG flat screen. Also, the dirty carpet had been replaced by a tile floor, a very nice touch. No traces of smoke anywhere. Parking in the main lot is limited and tight, but the overflow lot is half a block away with plenty of space. In fact, we opted to park there all the time, even if the main lot had room.

Biggest complaint - the internet service. Yes it's free, but it is HORRIBLE. Plain and simple. This is one area they did not improve over last year, but they really need to fix this. Nearly impossible to pull anything up - weather, restaurant reviews, attraction schedules - nothing.

Other than that, just some little annoyances. First day, housekeeping came into the room without knocking. Said they were checking to see if there were 2 robes in the room. We told them there was only 1 and they said they would bring another one back. We asked them to bring some toothpaste and they said they would, but they never returned with either the 2nd robe or the toothpaste. Also, the jacuzzi tub was VERY slippery - getting in, getting out, even just moving around to shower. Need to put something in those tubs to protect people.

All in all it was a good stay. While we may not necessarily go back again next year (especially if they don't upgrade the internet service), this hotel will certainly stay near the top of our list.

Room Tip: Ocean front, without a doubt.
Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
I am glad that overall you liked the hotel. I am sorry about those issues that were overlooked. THANK YOU for making the comment about our parking! I hear constant complaints about how terrible it is. I am so pleased that you said it was a half block away (which it is) and there are ample spaces. I am just as frustrated as you were with the Wi-Fi service. I am copying my response from the previous guest review. In this day and age with the rapidly changing technology and families using multiple devices (Family of four; four phones, kids with electronics, iPad, iPhone, laptop, etc.), it overloads the system. More and more people are using devices to download, stream movies, etc. and those guests that just want a phone connection can’t get one (at least thru Wi-Fi). We have full intentions of having a new system in place by next season. We are strongly looking at a system that provides free Wi-Fi to those guests that want to make a simple phone call or look up a number or address. The other guests that want to stream movies, download, login to Webinars, etc. and need the larger bandwidth and speed, they will be accessed a daily Internet fee. I am disappointed to hear you say that “all in all it was a good stay” but you wouldn’t come back because of the Internet service. I do hope you will at least check back with us next year to see if we made Wi-Fi upgrades.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My family stayed at the Paradise Plaza Inn for 2 nights/3 days. We were on the 3rd floor (the best in my opinion). The beds were comfortable, the bath & body works toiletries were nice, and the room was big, and clean. The free bottled water was a nice touch also. The view of the boardwalk, and beach could not be beat. However, the wi-fi was HORRIBLE, my kids couldn't connect to their electronics that required reception, and I could only use my cell phone when on the balcony in a certain position. The parking is also a huge problem. The entire time we stayed there, we couldn't park in front of our hotel, because all the spots were taken. Beach goers, and people visiting the Taphouse Bar & Grille that's located in the hotel took up all the parking spaces. We had to park across the street in an "overflow" parking lot near the candy kitchen. Paradise Plaza Inn does not enforce the "park by parking pass only" rules. We paid good money to stay there, and others who didn't stay there got to park in the spaces that were suppose to be for hotel customers only. I told the manager, and they appologized. Nothing they could do other than say they try to enforce the parking rule with security. Half to 3/4 of the cars in the lot didn't have a parking pass. Sadly, we won't be back because of the poor wi-fi reception, and the parking.

3 Thank PINKIE615
You hit the nail on the head! “The kids couldn’t connect to their electronics”. That is exactly what our situation is here. In this day and age with the rapidly changing technology and families using multiple devices (Family of four; four phones, kids with electronics, iPad, iPhone, laptop, etc.), it overloads the system. More and more people are using devices to download, stream movies, etc. and those guests that just want a phone connection can’t get one (at least thru Wi-Fi). We have full intentions of having a new system in place by next season. We are strongly looking at a system that provides free Wi-Fi to those guests that want to make a simple phone call or look up a number or address. The other guests that want to stream movies, download, login to Webinars, etc. and need the larger bandwidth and speed, they will be accessed a daily Internet fee. This will become the norm. Regarding the parking, I have repeated myself in response many times. There is enough parking for all of our guests. I am amazed that people constantly complain about walking across the street, yes, across one street to our secondary lot! All I can say is when you return to Ocean City and book another hotel ask about their parking. Ours is far more convenient than most and it IS free!