“Loss of caring”

Ranked #22 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania, United States
“Loss of caring”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We pulled in on our 1st vacation in 5 years. Staff would not let us check in early or even want to hear about it. Even though they were not busy, and they had rooms. When we finally got our room we requested a cot. Then again requested a cot 4 hours later. And charged us $10.00 per night extra!! Then went down to desk to request it again at 11pm. They said they spoke with us and we said we did not want it???? We asked them to have the inside of the window washed. They said it may be on the outside. I took my finger and showed them it was on the inside. They said they would have it done. The next day we asked again to have it cleaned... The next day we again asked to have it cleaned..... We added an extra day to our stay and they told us it would be $20 more than the other nights... It was a Thursday and they had an half empty parking lot. Then when we checked out and left we had to turn around as they charged us $40.00 more than quoted.

A few of the staff was caring. Many were tired of being there and not happy. Not really where you want to spend time off and have some comfort.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Nanaimo,BC
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The room was large and front desk was friendly.
Had to move rooms because shower didn't work. Ice machine broken on our floor.
Rooftop restaurant was terrible. Walked out after waiting 40 min for our food order,place wasn't busy!

Room Tip: Check the shower before unpacking
Bavaria, Germany
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We've stayed at the Fenwick Inn because the hotels where we wanted to stay (in Rehoboth) were either too expensive or not close enough to the beach. The Fenwick Inn seemed to offer a good value for the location. I booked an ocean side room, which means it faces East, but there's no view.

Check in is strictly 4 o'clock. The front desk was happy to check if the room was ready at 1:30 pm and 3:45 pm, but in both cases the answer was no and that check in starts at 4 pm. I want to make sure to mention that it was no problem to park at the hotel and use the pool even though we were not checked in yet. They also suggested we go to Peaky's since we arrived at lunch time. We went to Billy's Subs & Pizza across the street instead since it had better reviews, but that didn't work out at all. We left a review of Billy's separately.

After lunch we went to the pool. It's the first thing you see when you walk into the lobby. The pool no longer sports the rain-shower umbrella that you see in the pictures, but my kids loved it anyway. I agree with other reviewers that the water is cloudy though. My little one is only a year old so I had to get into the water, but I wasn't excited about getting any water on my face. The pool walls are grimy. It was a big hit with the kids, me not so much. Towels are provided, but they are really small, well worn & rough. I probably should mention that I did pick this hotel, because kids don't seem to be a problem here and can have fun. The safety "scoring" of the steps into the pool (to stop you from slipping) is very rough. I accidentally bumped into it and it took the skin right off my shin. Just beware of that and you'll be fine.

We tried to kill some more time on the beach. Not sure if it's a seasonal thing, but I've never encountered so many biting flies. So be prepared and bring bug spray. Beach chairs are available for $4 to rent if you don't want to bring your own, but it truly is just a short 1 block walk to the beach. I figured there would be a boardwalk all along the beach, but that's not the case. Obviously not the hotels fault, but it made stroller walking along the beach impossible.

About the room: We had asked for a quiet room so our kids wouldn't wake up if there's a lot of coming and going. We did get a room on the 3rd floor, but it was right in front of the elevators, which had me concerned. Turns out that didn't add any noise troubles. We slept very well and the kids slept right through the night. During the main season and on weekends, that might be something you want to avoid though.

The room itself was clean and did not have a funky smell like other reviews said. Just in case I had brought a can of Lysol, but didn't need it. The bathroom was falling apart a little bit (tiles coming off, bottom parts of mirror coming off and wall paper peeling off, but I carefully checked for dirt and it was CLEAN. All grout was fresh and there were no hairs anywhere or mold or other things. I had no problems letting my kids into the tub or romp on the floor.

The beds were very comfortable, there's a refrigerator and a microwave as well as a basic cable. I would have loved a hair dryer just to be able to blow some sand out of our shoes and out of the stroller. The hotel added a Graco Pack'n Play to our reservation as requested and there was no extra charge for that. If you're planning on doing that bring a crib sheet or a blanket, because there was no sheet for the crib and I didn't want my little one having to sleep on the vinyl cover.

We went to Peaky's for breakfast and had no problems being served. The front desk also gave us the "kids eat for free with adults buying an entry" vouchers, which wasn't part of our reservation and a nice touch. The voucher was accepted for breakfast and we didn't have to pay for the kids. Just remember to tip on the bill including kids though, after all your server still serves everyone. The food was good and plenty, my son's chocolate milk came in a covered cup with a straw, which avoids spillage. Always a good idea :) My older one distracted himself with the crayons and coloring paper until his food arrived.

The rooftop terrace at Peaky's is nice. I could definitely see myself enjoying an early morning coffee or a glass of wine at night up there. I think I read somewhere that the elevators at the hotels run slowly, but that wasn't our experience at all. I think there were three and as soon as you pushed the button one opened. Didn't take long to ride either. The lobby bathrooms could use an update. They looked clean and smelled fine, but I'm turned off by black toilets. I need to see if they are clean or not.

In summary: I think the Fenwick Inn is a great value when you're traveling with young kids and need a place where they can have fun. Our room at the Fenwick Inn was clean, quiet, spacious and the beds were comfortable. The rate was great, having a kid friendly restaurant and the beach just a block away is also a plus. The pool was our rainy day insurance and is fine for kids. I recommend the hotel to families, but not couples.

Here's my tip for making the most out of your stay. Take your car for a sunset ride on the Coastal Highway to Rehoboth Beach. We left at 6 pm and had an amazing ride. Takes about 20-30 minutes to Rehoboth, but it's well worth it and you avoid Rehoboth hotel rates. At times you ride between the bay and the ocean and the setting sun will cast such a beautiful light. The bars along the road are so inviting and invoke a true vacation feel and the homes are stunning! The bridge that you'll be crossing is also really nice, especially on the return trip when it's all lit up. In Rehoboth we parked close to the boardwalk, $3.50 for 2 hours. It's easy to get around there with a stroller and it's beautiful. We particularly went to Rehoboth to eat at Zogg's, a hidden gem we fell in love with previously. It's a rum bar with live music, kids can be kids, the food is amazing and it has a very tropical feel to it.

Room Tip: We asked for a higher-up room so my kids wouldn't wake up during the night if there was a lot of...
1 Thank Schlossie
pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was our 2nd year for the Fenwick Fling package the hotel offers. What a deal, 3 night stay breakfast each morning, and a $40 dinner voucher for 1 of 10 different restaurants. $50 if you use the vouchers upstairs at Peaky's. 2nd time better then the 1st. We got an ocean facing room this year. Nice Clean room, new carpet, comfy bed, nice view. Staff was very nice at the desk and the bar and the restaurant. This year the food for breakfast was Very good. Last year they were in a transition changing to Peaky's and it was kinda eeehh. This year you're greeted at the entrance and seated quickly even if they need to seat you in the bar area (bar not open then of course) coffee always full and they were very pleasant wait staff. That was breakfast, our dinner was Amazing you MUST try the Crab Bisque, and the Peaky's Famous Corn Bread is Awesome. We had a $50 voucher but I would pay full price anytime and still rave about our meal. As with some other reviews I dont see all the bad things other have seen. Yes it is an older hotel, it is dated, but it is still nice especailly for the price. Am I really just a very lucky traveler or are some people overly picky ? We will be going back every year for my wifes birthday this is what she wants from now on and it is so worth it. We really enjoy the Fenwick Inn. Keep up the good work Fenwick Folks. Thank You

1 Thank leeandtee
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed a week in a room on the 6th floor, the room was awful it had mold and water stains. They tried to charge me $217.00 charge for smoking in the hotel when all I did was bring a bottle with ashes and butts back from the beach and put them in trash. I had a person come to my room to see there was NO SMOKING going on in the room and they still charged my credit card. The pool was full of kids jumping and running. I would Never Never Never Stay Again!

Room Tip: Awful Not a healthy place with the mold and peeling paint on ceiling
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bricker1018

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Not horrific, but not good. It is near enough some of the beach and such but FAR from main OC, MD attractions & HIGH price for what you get. Indoor pool and jacuzzi, but so overrun with ill-supervised children, don't expect to get to use them. Rooftop restaurant, no service to be had, so we left. Facility shows its' age and needs better upkeep (cracked tub, filthy shower-head, odd smells after cleaning made me sick, only shampoo & soap, no hairdryer). Staff was adequate & relatively pleasant, as was parking, but expect to park in the back lot, & then you get to go by large trash bins on your way in. Adequate if you can't get anything else, but I plan to avoid it in the future.

Sharon Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed at the Fenwick Inn during the second week of August with my mate. We had reserved the room under their Fenwick Fling promotion. This promotion included along with the room, breakfast for two for three mornings, one dinner for two (value of $50)' and six vouchers for restaurants, miniature golf, etc. You are able to select the vouchers with an on-line reservation.

The hotel itself wasn't that bad. It is about a block away from the beach, but not close to the boardwalk. That was a plus for us because there wasn't a lot of noise. There is a pool and hot tub at this hotel along with the rooftop restaurant, Peakys. We ate breakfast for the three mornings and dinner one evening there. The food is okay. I enjoyed the meals.

I would not have a problem returning to this hotel for another stay in Ocean City, Maryland.