“The breakfasts made it worth the trip!”
Review of Ruffled Duck Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Ruffled Duck Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Such a cute B&B! The proprietors were lovely. We had the West Indies room. The fairly large private bath was across the hall. Not a problem for me. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The AC made the room very comfortable on an unusually warm weekend.

We enjoyed two breakfasts at the Inn. Both were excellent! They'll be enough to bring me back the next time I'm in Oxford.

We'd sailed to Oxford and the only downside was the 15 minute walk to the Inn from the Marina where we docked our boat. But it's a very pleasant walk.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dgb-vienna

Reviewed 2 October 2010

Our hosts and their family were very hospitalble and helpful. The decor was terrific and our room was very private and large with a comfortable bed. It was a short walk to a great restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank directi0nless
Reviewed 4 July 2010

The Ruffled Duck was absolutely one of my most favorite stops on the Eastern Shore. The Inn keepers Joyce and Dennis were very down to earth and genuine folks that made me and my 15 month old baby feel very welcome. The house was beautiful and the breakfast was delicious-I was full all day!
Make sure not to miss it!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank srjenk
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I was amazed and distressed to read the previous review about the Ruffled Duck Inn. We just returned from a four-day stay, and I thought it was one of the nicest B&Bs we have ever visited - and there have been many. The hospitality was warm and welcoming, without being overbearing. We stayed in the Cape Cod Room, an immaculate, bright room with beachy accents. There was an additional alcove with a bed that would fold out to accommodate kids. The other two rooms - one with a bath across the hall - dedicated only to that room) were also themed (Savannah and West Indies) and were beautifully decorated. The rest of the house was lovely, in an elegant yet comfortable style.

The breakfasts were something to behold; each was a three-course meal presented with attractive little detailed touches: a fruit course, a main course, and a little whimsy finale. Imagine, dessert for breakfast!

I'm so sorry the previous reviewer had such a negative experience, especially for a special weekend.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janet M
Reviewed 17 June 2009

M&B's can be really quirky, but our experience at the Ruffled Duck Inn was the strangest B&B experience we've ever had! Here's what happened...

We made reservations to go to the Ruffled Duck for the weekend of June 12-14, which was my birthday weekend. I made reservations about a month ahead of time, and the proprietor asked that I send a deposit. How much? "Whatever you'd like." I sent a deposit of $145, which was the price of one night's room.

We showed up at check-in time -- 3 pm -- on Friday, and there was a big blue tape across the front porch and a "For Sale" sign in the yard. The front door was open, however, and a fan was blowing out onto the porch, so we figured someone was there. After much "Hello-ing" through the front door and around back, we knocked loudly on the side door marked "Private," and 2 women answered -- mother and daughter (daughter and her husband own the inn, mom and dad apparently run it). They told us that they had just painted the porch, so they took down the tape and invited us inside.

After some chit-chat and a tour around the house, they showed us to our room, which was the middle room of 3 guest rooms on the second floor. Our bath was across the hall.

It was a hot, hot June day, so my husband decided he would take a shower. Both he and I removed our hot, sticky clothes and gladly donned the nice, white robes provided for us in the closet. While Hubby took a shower, I unpacked, took down the spread on our bed, and prepared to take a nice, relaxing nap at the start of our romantic weekend.

Shortly after my husband returned from his shower across the hall, I thought I heard a knock on the door. We'd put out the "Privacy" sign and everything, so I was sure I was hearing things. Then, I heard another knock and my name. Yes, someone was knocking at our door!

I turned to my husband -- nude except for his inn-provided robe -- and tried to figure out what to do. Clutching my own robe around me, I went to the door, and there was the owner.

"We have a really difficult situation," she said. "We're over-booked. Would you mind terribly going down to the Robert Morris Inn down the street instead? I've called ahead, and they have a couple of rooms. We'd pay, of course..."

I was dumbfounded. We'd already paid for one night in advance, we were the first guests to show up, and WE were now being asked to leave!!

My husband was livid. I asked him to stay in the room while I got dressed and went downstairs to see exactly what was going on. It seems that another couple had made reservations for what they thought were TWO rooms, while the proprietor thought she was taking a reservation for one room. The two couples wanted to stay together, it seemed like they were afraid to confront them about the error, and so we were asked to leave!

We did leave, because at that point, my husband was mad, I knew the owners would be mad if we stayed (now that they'd made the request that we leave), and in a B&B everyone is together at breakfast. It just was not worth the trouble.

As we were leaving, the proprietor "modified" their offer of paying for the Robert Morris Inn, and they kept our deposit check!

I know that B&B's provide unusual circumstances at times, but this really took the cake. We are furious and, of course, are telling as many of our friends as possible about this bizarre treatment so that they can avoid this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank GroversMom
ruffledduckinn, Owner at Ruffled Duck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2010

This was our first overbooking in our 5 years and we sincerely tried to apologize to the couple who seemed very accomodating at the time. We compensated them by paying for their weekend at another B&B and gave them a gift certificate to return. We do not expect this to happen again and hope this will not deture your consideration of our Ruffled Duck B&B. We enjoy our guests and try our best to make the experience wonderful. Libby Cole, Owner