“Great Place for Breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles

Suburban House Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 68 Restaurants in Pikesville
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Germantown, Maryland
“Great Place for Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

This is our 3rd visit to the Suburban House. All 3 visits have been very good. Restaurant is in an older building, but it is clean and pleasant. Breakfast is wonderful, especially the bacon, Challah bread french toast (very interesting) and the kugel casserole. Service by Betty, who always seems to be there, is friendly and complete.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Ellicott City, Maryland
“First time and would not return”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We went here for the first time tonight and it was not nearly as good as expected. The matzo ball soup was straight out of a Campbell's can and the matzo ball was horrible. My corned beef sandwich came out incorrectly as a Reuben and the onion rings were overly breaded. My wife enjoyed her fried chicken and said it tasted like chicken from the Amish market (wouldn't surprise me if it was).
The waitress was trashy and I was reminded of her name by it tattooed on her neck. She was the worst waitress.

The staff should be a little more authentic to the type of restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mark R
“Terrible customer service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

I really don't know how Suburban House stays in business. We have had many problems over the years with them. This time was the "straw that broke the camel's back". We were given a credit for use at Suburban House after my Father-in-law's funeral. We would like to use it for the unveiling of his headstone. We received the credit in March after the funeral. We called Suburban House to find out what the amount was and to tell them that we would use it for the unveiling. They sent us a letter but it got misplaced so they sent us another letter. Unfortunately we don't remember ever having received the second letter. Last week we went to Suburban House and told them what happened. They said that they couldn't do anything about the credit because they needed the letter. We asked them if they have a record of the transaction. Paul, who handles these matters, told us that he would have to look. He said for us to go home and check again and call him. My husband called 5 times and Paul refused to check their records. Now, if we use them for the tray, they refuse to give us the entire amount plus they won't deliver the tray to us.
We are also dealing with Gourmet Again who has been an absolute pleasure. We also saw them last week and they went into the office, found our credit on their computer and immediately set things up for a tray from them. No hassle and no problems. We have decided to never deal with Suburban House again and told them to keep their tray. We called Gourmet Again and ordered the second tray from them. Again no hassle.
Because of Suburban House's poor customer service, we will never eat there or use them for anything.
One other problem we had with them years ago was that my Mother-in-law ordered a Chinese chicken salad. She was eating when she came across something strange. She pulled out the item with her fork and we were shocked to see that it was a plastic glove. We called the owner over and he didn't act as though it was a problem at all. We should have stopped going there then but there aren't many delis in the area.
Other people have also had bad experiences so again I am surprised they can stay in business. Well they have certainly lost us as customers.

Visited September 2013
7 Thank Abby R
Potomac
“Surburban House 1700 not 911 Reisterstown Rd”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

Hadn't been there since the old place burnt down as I live near D.C. The reuben I ordered didn't have much corn beef on it but was very good. The four overdone, hard union rings stunk! I got a 1/2 pound of white fish salad to go. When My wife and I eat it, we found a thin blue rubber band mixed in. This place has become a sad joke compared to what it used to be. One circle is one too many but I guess I have to give it one.

Stan G

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Stan G
Baltimore, Maryland
“A Regular Cutomer but not sure now”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Usually go here for breakfast and lunch on weekends with my girlfriend who absolutely loves this place. Was very excited when they began staying open for dinner. However, this evening we decided to go for dinner since we had errands to run in Pikesville. I ordered a cloak and dagger sandwich and was very disappointed. The rye bread was not fresh and broke apart as soon as I tried to pick it up. The corn beef was very fatty and placed on the bread in such a manner that it looked as if the end of the corn beef was used and smashed so tightly that it did not lay on the bread in a uniform way. I probably will never order it again.

• Visited May 2013