“Excellent one night stay!”

Island Inn and Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Piney Point
Syracuse, New York
“Excellent one night stay!”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I read through some of the negative reviews talking about the rundown interior, but our room was pretty much perfect with the extraordinary view that everyone mentions. Quiet, clean, everything in working order. Convenient parking. Very nice for the price. Wonderful dinner at the restaurant next door which is only several paces away. So peaceful to wake up in the morning surrounded by water. The balconies on the eastern side of the hotel sit right on the river. We're only here for one night, but wish it could be longer.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
US
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We have some doubts about the place due to it's price (reasonable price) but after reading all the reviews here, we decided to go. We are glad that we took the chance. We are so surprised that the place looks so new. Clean bathroom, comfy bed & pillows, white bedsheets, big bathroom, kitchenette (small refrigerator, microwave, sink, red cherry cabinets), a round table with 2 chairs, a veranda w/ 2 huge adirondack chairs & a round table. You will get a room either with a sunset or sunrise view. We got the sunrise view, it was so nice to wake up with a water view. We watched a couple oystering Friday morning, oysters are served at the hotel next door. The lobby's size is enough for its purpose coz you are not going to stay here anyway. Breakfast is a treat, I'm happy to have hot coffee 24 hours a day. They have bagels, muffins, cold cereals, granola bar, bottled water, etc.....this is a treat!......They have an ice machine that I used to fill my cooler for our day trips. Come here to relax, read your favorite book, have great food and lots of drinks at the hotel next door (Margarita for $7 and great service), you don't have to worry about driving....just try to make it to the hotel door :) . You can drive to St. Michaels (about 45 mins away), Tilghman Island, Piney Point Look Out Park...or just stay in the hotel......I will absolutely return here if I am around the area....

Note: There is no Fitness Center-run or walk outside...No swimming pool-this could be a plus in the future...

Room Tip: Ask for a SUNRISE room...make sure to try to eat at the restaurant next door before exploring somewh...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CC1Us
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 August 2013

It's a nice easy 1.45 hr getaway from Washington DC. Peaceful calm waters and the great water view will surely provide a relaxing atmosphere. Rooms are very clean, spacious and well maintained. What was a bit disappointing is the service. Website specifically says to call prior to arrival to alert the front desk which I did and I was told they were full from the night. When we got there, around 10am, I left my name and number so they can call us when our room was ready while we explored the rest of the place. Three o'clock was the check-in time came and still no phone call from the front desk. Good thing we found a close beach where we swam and then had a late lunch in a nice friendly bar. We came back close to 5pm and the front desk was unattended. After waiting half a day to check in, we still had to wait for another 20 mins before someone came to check us in. Those little details should be addressed because people look forward to their holidays and weekends and it would be nice if we didn't have to wait for those either.

For the peak summer rate we paid, we also expected a little bit more for the breakfast especially since there is nothing close to the hotel for lunch or breakfast. There was no hot food just, packed danishes, boxed cereals and some bagels with no cream cheese and coffee. Nice restaurant next door only opens at 4pm. I suggest for the front desk customer service which includes the tiny lobby to be improved if they want their guests to be happy. Two of the three front desk personnel I met during our stay were not friendly at all and gave us little helpful information about our needs during our stay. Also, boat rental is advertised as an amenity, however, there is only one paddle boat available. I travel all over the world so I can compare about service and details in relation to what you pay for and what to expect.

On the bright side, watching the sunrise from our balcony was such an awesome surprise. The lounge chairs on the balcony were so comfortable for enjoying a cocktail or two. I read the review that the walls were really thin and I agree because I heard all kinds of sounds from the other rooms. Beds and pillows were comfortable and I had a good sleep. The clean room and bathroom was ample in size for a family of three. A swimming pool would have been perfect since there was no beach to swim even it the hotel was on the water.

Room Tip: Rooms on facing the water on the third floor for the view would definitely be more relaxing rather t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I was so suprised to find such a beautiful place. I had a one bedroom king suite which was very nice ..had a separate living room.. with a small kitchen. The bed was supreme, with widescreen tvs, nice furnishings. IF you decide to go make sure you bring your fishing rod and tackle box. The only thing missing was a pool my kids wanted. The hotel was busy, so the young lady at the reception was quite busy. just a note to the manager.. the Breakfast ending at 9:00 am? Isn't that kind of early?

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the water.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We used to frequent this place and found it very peaceful and the rooms are well kept. Lately, I am seeing stained comforters, old towels, poorly lit outdoors, missing bikes and kayaks, very poor wifi, unusable grill, chipped paint, broken fixtures, etc.

Also, the staff used to be sooo friendly. Now they don't even smile. When you ask for something, they give you a frown and most of the time say they don't have it which oftentimes is just a basic amenity in hotels.

I heard its under new management. Hopefully the new management address these problems and start renovating or loyal customers like us won't come back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank D Q
Solomons, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

At the end of a winding country road is a transformation of time and space in which you'd swear you had been transported to the tropical shores of Florida. The Island Inn and Suites lies on a narrow spoon shaped spit of land known as St George Island that projects out into a wide expanse of the Potomac River. This location provides half of the 28 rooms a stunning sunrise vista and the other half enjoy a prolonged sunset view. The rooms are spacious and suitably appointed for relaxing with balconies equipped with oversized Adirondack chairs.

The hotel is next door to the famed Ruddy Duck restaurant and bar that features their own craft brews and fresh seafood. The dining room is waterside and easily adaptable to special events. Altogether...Paradise found at last!!!

Room Tip: Enjoy sunset in restaurant and reserve a sunrise room!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hey_Joe54
Baltimore
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I may be giving this hotel 5 stars only because my expectations were low and based on my personal experiences with ratings, I feel I must give this 5 stars IF for only that reason. My husband and I are major travelers to the Caribbean and consider us to be almost experts for those locations. We live in Maryland but had never really explored before and I believe I came about this place from a Groupon email and it was such a good deal that I could not pass up and to my most delightful surprise, ended up being one of the best weekends ever.

The Inn has water on 'both' sides albeit one side is the road side but we are talking very southern Maryland and 'off season' so literally no traffic. I can say that EVERY room is waterfront. We stayed on the bay side (that may not be the correct water term) but our room was definitely a 5. It was very clean, very large, had kitchenette, sitting area, balcony and separate bedroom with king-size bed, flat screen TVS, beautiful bathroom. The décor and bedding was high quality hotel syle. Again, this is relative based on personal experience. The view from the balcony was amazing and they have this long gorgeous pier that makes the setting very Norman Rockwell-ish:)

The front desk was very friendly and helpful. There is also a continental breakfast room/area that is included in the pricing; i.e.; coffee, tea, milk, cereal, Danish, etc. There is a restaurant well known for seafood literally right next to the Inn. Unfortunately, the night we stayed there, it had been booked for a private party so we headed into town and had a fabulous meal with the locals.

Almost didn't want to give away this hidden gem but they deserve for people to know. Again, we went in off-season with alot of the surrounding homes as vacation rentals which were empty so we had the place almost to ourselves which we greatly appreciated. They have kayaks for use which we totally utilized as we did the bicycles, all included.

Highly recommend for someone that wants an out of the way location with not a lot of activity but for a restful weekend or week. Not sure what it is like in the summer months so anxious to read someone's review for that time frame.

5 stars for location, comfort, relaxation, cleanliness (I even tipped the maid xtra). Not for everyone and certainly not for 'party' people but makes a really lovely overnight or weekend stay.
Driving around the area was also enjoyable. Ate homemade ice cream in Leonardtown and a wonderful meal at Café des Artistes, some antique shopping, and just walking around.

ENJOY!!

Room Tip: Bay/sound side facing pier very quiet with a view to die for.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DannaZMD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piney Point
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington Park (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)
Comfort Inn & Suites Lexington Park
Home2 Suites by Hilton Lexington Park Patuxent River Nas, Md
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
#1 of 9 in Lexington Park
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 1 in Warsaw

Been to Island Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!