“Cancelled booking”

Eastclose Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hinton
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

We booked the East Close for two nights for our wedding night. We went and had a look at their bridal suite which was gorgeous, the whole hotel has been refurbished to a high standard since the new management took over. We walked through the restaurant too which was beautifully refurbished.
One slight gripe- we made our booking in December but had a phone call this weekend to say they had to cancel out booking as they had not realised they had a wedding booked for that weekend. We are so disappointed as the room was very good value for money and we want somewhere special for our wedding night.
This hotel was taken over in Novemeber, previous to that the hotel had a poor reputation so this new management cannot afford to be making 'mistakes' with bookings. I declined the offer of rebooking for a different date as I hope I will not have to repeat my wedding day!
I cannot fault the hotel itself but I would recommend making sure their rooms are actually available to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed: January 2013
Eastclose_2013, General Manager at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thanks for your review, Im sorry we had to cancel your bedroom. To explain, we had a wedding enquiry that required all our rooms to accomodate their guests, Im sure you appreciate why the decision we had to make was made. To eleviate this in the future we have blocked bedrooms on any dates we anticipate a wedding enquiry, we hope this will help. Thank you.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Me and my fiance stayed at the East Close recently and I have to say that the whole weekend was excellent. The establishment is under new ownership and that has made a real difference.
The hotel is located in a beautiful location in the New Forest and from the moment we arrived the service was exceptional. The staff are very friendly and are always happy to help. The room was clean and was very grand. The decor of the room was very quirky and the view was magical.
The food in the Conqueror was delicious and again the service was faultless.
As a whole experience I would highly recommend staying at the hotel. A perfect retreat for a romantic getaway.
Me and my fiance are getting married their very soon and we cannot wait!

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden view room and it was a real treat!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary C
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you had a great stay with us and I know that all the team are looking forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel for your forthcoming wedding.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

the hotel itself is really lovely, my boyfriend and i took our towels out in the backgarden and a member of staff pointed us to the best sun spot to catch some rays in private. The breakfasts were amazing, cant fault it. The one and only downfall is that the road noise kept us awake the first night, the second night i had a few glasses of wine so i was out for the count.
I would advise people to go to this hotel but do take earplugs if you have a room that faces the road.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thanks for your great comments and sorry you found noise an issue this must have been a conqueror double which are noisy during peak travel time, I note your stay was some 9 months ago, the hotel is now under new ownership and Im sure you will find some great changes when you revisit us.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

My husband & I recently had the most wonderful day of our lives, at our wedding held at the Eastclose hotel. When we found the venue a year ago, we knew the moment that we walked in that this would be a great choice for our special day. It is the atmosphere, decor, perfect size of venue, the food & the friendliness of the staff that were the attraction for us. In the run up to our wedding we ate in the Conqueror Inn restuarant on numerous occasions as we were showing off our venue to all of our close friends & family. The Sunday lunch is such good value & really delicious. The wedding was everything that we dreamed it would be, from the planning, to the girlie meal the night before, to the ceremony, champagne reception, through to our wedding breakfast in the conqueror inn, to the evening reception, we loved every single minute. The staff are an absolute credit to the owners & many of our guests have commented on how much they enjoyed the venue, as it felt so glamourous & friendly & fun. We could not have asked for more & our expectations were very high, so the team had a lot to live up to! We cannot thank you enough for am unforgetable day....

Room Tip: Ask for the garden facing rooms as these have beautiful views over the grounds of the hotel & th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank knightayc
Eastclose_2013, General Manager at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

We are all so pleased you enjoyed your wedding. Thank you for your compliments about the staff and service I know everyone here enjoyed looking after you on your special day.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We had a fab meal at the Conqueror Inn (adjacent to the hotel). It was good value, excellent quality food, lovely decor and very comfy sofas for after dinner drinks and coffee. Highly recommend. Did not stay at the hotel as we have a caravan locally.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you, we are looking forward to looking after you when you are next visiting the area.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

we booked an early dinner here..all was fine to start bar the heating that had broken down(ie very very cold!) and the speaker having to be turned down 2 ft above our heads!..we had hoped after apparent new owners, that this hotel would rise from the very hit and miss it was previously...starters were fine...then we waited 1 for the mains... I ordered £18.95 sirloin medium..it came cooked raw in the middle..over cooked on the outside ,and medium in inner side..it was small...tough..cheap meat that had the texture of a leather sole and was the worst steak ive ever tried..my mother had the pork...it too was impossible to cut ,and was an awful cut of meat...the manager appeared 25 minutes later and apologised and offered free sweets..this was now 2hours 20 minutes into our meal ..my mother having missed her starter had no food!..by this time we had given up, as had the moody waitress avoiding our table..we even had to go into the coat rack to get our coats!..we paid and left..never to return until reviews are more favourable... this restaurant has poor quality food ..badly run and staff that are totally disinterested in serving you promptly and with good quality food. it looks like a good wedding venue but as far as a local dining spot goes it falls way short of acceptable food quality.pity..

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank citytrader5
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2013

I am of course very sorry that you had a bad experience with us. Indeed the hotel does have new owners, I had owned the hotel for a matter of days when you visited, I have pondered for over a month about how to response to your review and would address your comments as follows:
I have discussed in detail with my staff and management about your experience and in knowledge of the specific circumstances that lead to your poor review I am confident for the future. Heating, music levels and service have all been addressed which are essential elements that create a platform for guests to enjoy their experience with us. We cant make people enjoy themselves but we can certainly stop them if we get it wrong and of course a poor experience is easily compounded upon.
We dont want to be pretentious or gimmicky with what we offer, what we are aiming for is to offer good value traditional cuisine at reasonable prices. This is already becoming evident but striving for perfection is of course an endless battle. Chef, our general manager and myself have taken considerable time to choose where we source our products from and being local and of exceptional quality are important.
If we do have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future I would appreciate you emailing me at the hotel events@eastclose in order that I can meet with you and make your arrangements personally.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Booked a single room for one night mid-week so I could enjoy a special occasion with friends. After seeing a couple of old reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. Arrived with just enough time to shower and change before I should have been joining my friends in bar. What a treat. I was quickly and politly booked in and shown to my room which was a large sized single with on-suite, flat screen tele. kettle, phone, all the towels and complimenteries you could need etc.
I arrived back at the bar in time to get a drink before we were all led to our table in the resturant. Inspite of the size of our party (18) and the other diners the staff were fantastic, serving good hot food, taking wine orders and clearing empties,spent crackers etc. Nothing seemed to much trouble and the meals were exactly as they should be, with all the trimmings and accompliments to suite. The whole experience was fantastic and we could not have chosen a better venue. We would definately go back again and I would advise anyone reading past reviews to take note of the dates of the reviews because some places do take notice of customers comments and the new management here have definately got there house in order.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Eastclose_2013, Guest Relations Manager at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and dinner, having recently been taken over by a new company we are seeing some positive changes. In time we hope to achieve consistency with our reviews. Thank you

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton
South Lawn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Woodlands
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton

Been to Eastclose Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!