Eastclose Country House Hotel
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa(New Milton)
US$1,011
Premier Inn Christchurch Highcliffe(Highcliffe)(Great Value!)
US$133
PremierInn.com
Lord Bute Hotel(Christchurch)
US$163
US$333
US$275
Hotels.com
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
US$96
The Kings Arms(Christchurch)
US$152
US$136
Agoda.com
Travelodge Christchurch(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
US$64
Travelodge
    Moorhill House Hotel(Burley)(Great Value!)
    US$175
    Travelocity
    • Breakfast included
    Premier Inn Christchurch West Hotel(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
    US$105
    PremierInn.com
    Captain's Club Hotel(Christchurch)
    No availability for your dates from our partners
    All reviewseast closenew forestfull englishtoaststaff were very friendlywedding venueevening mealmain roadroad noisebride and groombar areasteakwhole experiencewedding packagefrom start to finishmain courseattention to detail
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 27 January 2014

We've just come back from a weekend break at the Eastclose, and highly recommend the hotel. Staff really try and do whatever they can to make you feel welcome, the rooms are fabulous, and the food is excellent - full of flavour without resorting to the usual trick of piling on the salt and cream.

As the title says - this was the nicest hotel in the UK we've stayed in. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are worth it, as they're quieter and have a great view.
    • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
    Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for your very kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife booked a two night break via wowcher including dinner on arrival night and breakfast for each day. It was for my 40th birthday, the location is lovely set in fantastic grounds. We were in room 8 overlooking the gardens, the decor was lovely and well put together only build would be a little lamp / light by dressing table for putting make up on(did not bother me).
    Dinner was lovely and great choice of good and service also great nothing too much, staff very attentive.
    Overall we would both return and would recommend other to visit given the chance, as for complaints by others unfortunately you just can't seem to please everyone. Thanks again for a great break.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your lovely comments, we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

On arriving at the hotel we were welcomed by a lovely courteous lady, she informed us of breakfast times check out times and meals times with additional information that we were allowed a selection off all of the menus.
    We went to our very lovely decorated room which was immaculately clean with amazing views of the rear gardens.
    After settling into the room we went for a walk around the gardens and noticed a considerable sized decking area with tables and chairs off the rear garden.
    We had a walk around the shaped path area that lead us to old walled garden area which was perfect for a fresh country walk with my partner before our evening meal.
    We wandered back into the hotel and sat by the open fire and had our drinks brought over by the professional barman.
    There is an ambiance about the hotel; it is a lovely old building and its decoration and furnishings were in keeping with its age and character
    We returned to our room and prepared for our evening meal.
    We arranged to meet friends in the bar for pre drinks and then went for our meal in the restaurant.
    The food was excellent, cooked to our requirements. The staff were pleasant and came and asked if our meals were ok, if we required drinks and coffees etc.
    We had a very comfortable night, very peaceful and quiet.
    Our breakfast was very tasty, we had a selection of continental and full English all freshly prepared.
    When it was time to check out we expressed to the gentleman on the desk that we had a very relaxing refreshing stay and would recommend the hotel to any of our friends and family.
    We consider this to be a very good value for money stay.
    Highly Recommend.

Room Tip: Room 11 (just the job)
    • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
    Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thanks, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I bought the Wowcher deal for this hotel (£89 for 1 nights stay and 2 course dinner), I had a look at the reviews of the hotel and looked into the smallest room we could be given (considering this is what to expect when booking with a deal, I am realistic unlike some people who think they ought to get something for nothing)...

We arrived at the hotel after a lovely day out Beaulieu on Monday 20th January at around 4.30pm, we was greeted by a lovely man who worked there or seemed to know exactly who we were and was expecting us (yes I had to wait for a few minutes at the desk, as this man was also running the bar too, which is all in the same room, I did not mind this at all and did not see it as a slight problem, as he professionally acknowledged me from the bar whilst serving, to let me know that he would be over as soon as he could). We were told where to find our room, given our key and also confirmed the time we had a table booked for dinner. No, we were not shown to our room, and our bags were not carried to our room for us, but this was not a problem at all, we didn't expect that.

My first impression of the bar/reception/restaurant area was how beautiful it was, the lovely smell of the wood fire, the old country style interior with the modern twist in the lighting, just relaxing. We went to our room (number 5) which was at the front of the house, and yes you could hear the road from the room, but nothing too loud (it isn't like it is the m25 outside). I would however suggest that if you have super sensitive ears, to request a garden view room (we however, did not feel the right to request a room when we had bought a cheap deal, and I am glad we didn't as I thought our room was lovely). The decoration was lovely, boutique style and modern clean bathroom. The little box of coffee, tea, hot choc and biscuits was a lovely touch.

We went down for dinner & was told that even though we had the deal, we were still allowed anything from the menu, no limitations, which was amazing. Now the food......... just WOW!!!!! BEAUTIFUL ..... I could not fault one thing about it, some of the best food I have ever tasted and to top it off amazing service once again, attentive, friendly and patient. We then moved into the bar area for some cocktails, the bar man warned us that he hadn't made many cocktails before, but we did not mind, working behind bars in my life it is nice for someone to challenge you in a friendly way with drinks you need to make, and he made them beautifully ... lovely cocktails for only £7 each.

Lovely nights sleep, road noise was not an issue for us, at some point in the morning we heard noise from an upstairs bedroom (footsteps etc), and yes it was pretty loud considering the thin walls and floors etc, however this is an old building and I didn't really expect anything different.
    When reading these reviews I have heard about music from downstairs being heard from upstairs etc, we were lucky, I suppose to visit in a very quiet time, but if you feel this may be an issue, then call the hotel and ask if they have any weddings/parties booked for the weekend/weekdays, before you choose to book and complain about the noise. As for the rooms being dirty..... they were far far far far from it, I have seen a review saying someone did not want to take off their shoes??? SERIOUSLY??? My room was spotless!

Finally I did not get up for breakfast in the morning, however my partner did. He was once again served by the lovely gentleman in glasses (wish we had got his name), who had been still serving in the restaurant when we went to bed, and was told, was once again he was friendly and polite.

A final note - My partner come back to the room after breakfast in complete shock at how rude some people can be, he told me about how people were not even given this lovely and friendly (to us) male waiter a please or thank you when serving them during their breakfast...... so these people that have given the bad reviews, maybe you should look a little closer to home as to why the staff did not bend over backwards for you during your stay.

Thank you to all the staff at Eastclose and Conqueror restaurant for a lovely stay, and we will be back very soon.

23 & 25 year old couple :)

Room Tip: If worried about road noise, request a garden view room.
    • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

I am sorry that you had too witness the rudeness of the guests that have since written 2 scathing reviews. We try hard to provide everything a guest might need to have a great stay but relationship counselling is beyond our offering. As usual the hotel was to blame for their unhappy stay. Again I am sorry you were subjected to these sad people. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I purchased a wowcher deal for this hotel to take my husband away for his birthday to the beautiful New Forest. The venue had brilliant reviews, the website looked the part, and the images of the hotel in all its glory were amazing, so it was a no-brainer to book for two nights. As I had said on the phone it was for a birthday the manager Simon did a free up-grade, which I really appreciated. However, on arrival to the hotel it is between two places, and along the busy A35, although this is in the contact details as Lyndhurst Road, so the location is not great. The images of the hotel do it great justice as its so shabby, and whilst I do appreciate the age of the building, that's no excuse. Internally it really needs up-dating/modernising/painting as all the furniture is, and sofas are, really worn/dated. It tries to be chic, but in our opinion it doesn't work, and we were left visually disappointed. I wish I'd taken more photos so you could see for yourself.

On entering our room we were shocked at the horrible smell about it, I can only describe it as when bedding hasn't been changed for a long time, like sweaty/smelly, although the bedding looked and smelt okay directly. I did ask for an air freshener because of this, but it never came so we slept with our window open. The carpet looked like it needed hoovering, and was stained and so old and worn looking. I like a place that although hundreds have been before me, I can walk on the carpet without my shoes on and feel okay, here I kept my shoes on. The windows were also rotten and cracked in the wood; for noise purposes, I would of hated a room facing out to the road, we were lucky to be facing out to the garden. On the plus side the size of the room and the TV was really generous. The bathroom had also been refurbished, and although the floor was lino the rest was a very nice quality.

Sitting enjoying drinks at the bar late afternoon there was a girl around 10 years, whom I believe was the daughter of a staff member, that on two occasions stuck her hand into the after-dinner mints jar and had a good rummage around to pick her mints, that was gross to witness, especially as we were offered the very mints after dinner, but seemingly deemed acceptable by other members of staff as the girl had no cares in the world! The backs of the sofa's could do with a hoover as when my husband's phone slipped down the crack and we had to lift up the cushion there were crumbs and rubbish everywhere.

The dinner that was offered as part of the package consisted of two courses; I had chicken wings, and my husband had the anti-pasti; both were utterly delicious, and generous in portion. I had duck for my main, that although was a little dry, it was a really tasty meal. My husband had T-bone steak, which was a really fatty cheap bit of meat, and over-cooked, so he was not happy.

The breakfast area houses one small-medium table consisting of three types of cereal and juice, and doesn't have fruits or yoghurts available. On sitting you can order the type of fried breakfast you require, which came promptly, and was tasty.

My husband and I went to sleep around 11:30pm, but at around 12:30am we woke up to a couple in the next room who weren't even being noisy, they were just talking, but where the walls were paper thin and our room had an inter-connecting door it woke us up (we could hear every word) until they went to sleep around an hour later (we were just so pleased one of them must of been too tired ;-)). We then heard another couple settle down for the night a bit later as they walked passed our room, again not being loud. Then around 8am we heard someone walking around in shoes on a hard floor above us so we had a really crap nights sleep :-( We leave our young children with Granny to get away from it all, with the major factor of actually managing to get a good nights sleep!

After the first night we went out for the day and when my husband said he 'didn't want to wake up there on his birthday' and 'dreaded not being able to sleep' we cut our loses and stayed at another hotel. On leaving the hotel prematurely the guy at the desk apologised and 'didn't know what say', and as such we didn't incur the surcharge for the Friday night stayed. I would say this is a 2 star hotel so if you like feeling 'looked after' in 4-5 star hotels don't stay here, and definitely don't judge this book by its cover ;-)

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in room 9 or the one connected to that room, I'm guessing 8, unless your a heavy sleeper! Get a room that backs onto the garden. Find a different hotel!
    2  Thank Malice77

Thank you for both yours and your spouses separate reviews which apart from your differing opinions of breakfast are almost identical.
    I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us on your Wowcher deal, our obvious aim is to ensure that all our guests have a relaxing time and that they wish to visit us again without the deal.
    Our hotel and restaurant was fully decorated a few years ago, but we understand that everyone is entitled to an opinion and that personal tastes do often vary and we are sorry that our décor offended you. It does, however, undergo continuous maintenance and decoration throughout the year as we have such a high volume of satisfied customers passing through its doors.
    This includes carpet cleaning, painting and general housekeeping which is kept at a very high standard. Unfortunately, being situated in the country next to a working farm, some smells do occasionally drift over to us, but I have never had them attributed to our bedrooms before.
    I am glad that you enjoyed your meal in the Conqueror but am sorry that you did not enjoy the steak. All our produce is freshly prepared and wherever possible sourced from local suppliers. Our staff have no issue with replacing anything that may not be up to our usual high standards, all that we ask is that you mention it when prompted during our table checks, as indeed is the case with any problems that may arise within the hotel. We certainly do not use ‘cheap’ meat or any other ‘cheap’ products, the reputation of the restaurant is only going from strength to strength and is reflected by the continuing support of our numerous regular customers and by the large volume of restaurant guests that are visiting us throughout the winter months.
    In response to your ‘overall’ comments, Trip Advisor monitors all activity with respect to reviews, and would be the first to remove any comments that were untruthful or not genuine. That being said, the 2 reviews that you have put forward about us, does not reflect the usual high standing of the hotel and other reviewers may even see it as unfair or untrue, or even a way of publicising a local competitor. Whatever the reason, I’m sure that after the second, identical review that appeared almost instantly after yours was published, most reviewers or potential guests will recognise a ‘one-off’ for what it really is, and discount it amongst the numerous glowing reviews from a lot of genuinely satisfied customers.
    I have taken several photos of room 9, our settees and the lobby and posted them to this site for readers to form their own opinion, they do not represent your description and I too wish you had posted photos of the offensive décor and poor maintenance, it would have helped me understand. The ones you have posted do not reflect your thoughts. Its also a shame the smells cant be confirmed in a review. With the exception of the forest and farm neither myself or any of my staff have a clue what you mean.
    Despite what you think we work extremely hard to satisfy our customers and the good reviews we receive are hard earned. Your bad experience is unfortunate but is it absolutely necessary to post 2 identical reviews.