“So very close to five stars...”

Eastclose Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hinton
Caterham, England, United Kingdom
“So very close to five stars...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were ckearing out my mother's flat so it was never going to be the happiest of time, but decided that rather than stay in the flat and clear around ourselves we would treat ourselves to a couple of nights at the Eastclose.

It is a lovely place, carefully decorated and the receptionist was helpful charming and friendly when she booked us in and took our order for a newspaper and arranged a wake up call (regretfully for 7am as the bed was very comfortable and I should have been glad of a lay in, only we had people to meet back at the flat by 7.45am who were taking away some of the furniture. We checked breakfast times which were rather late for a weekday, but I guess they dont get many business guests.as it seems to be an incrediably popular wedding venue.

We had a great dinner the first night, as we were just too tired to drive elsewhere but frankly there would have been no need as the menu was comprehensive and the two for one selection was diverse and represents amazing value. As it happened we both chose from the A La Carte menu - and every thing was fabulous - well until the strawberry and Lime Posset which my husband ordered arrived - complete with a rather sharp lump of white plastic buried in it in a rather jaunty manner - looking all the world like a broken plastic teaspoon

I called over one of the staff to enquire whether the abstract art was giong to cost extra or if it was a freebie. Understandably horrified she rushed away to inform the chef and presumably enquire of its provenance. The chef opined it was a piece of a carton that had broken off in the fridge. I pointed out health and safety might take a dim view of storage containers that were so brittle they could break off into other food - but all was smoothed over and I must say the restaurant staff dealt with it smoothly and efficiently. Many places have problems - the skill is how you deal with them.

We staggered up to our very nicely furnished room and were out cold by 10pm (despite the couple in the neighbouring room deciding to reenact the Wre of the Roses (movie version rather and Plantaganents and Yorks) some time arouand midnight. However, we were so tired I cant say it kep either of us awake and we were soon sound asleep again.

And stayed that way until 7.45am - but wait I hear you cry, kind reader, wasn't there supposed to be an alarm call - err, didnt happen. Neither had my morning paper but we were now in danger of being seriously late so shot out of the hotel and off to the mothers. The poor lass picking stuff from there up had t wait for our arrival and ended up having ato pay for an extra half hour of her removers time. I was just a little mortified as I don't do late.

We returned to the hotel for breakfast (which was beautifully prepared) yet there was still no newspaper. At this point I was a little boyond irked and felt a frank exchange of views with the receptionist was required. She breezily informed me that she had no idea why we hadnt had a wake up call and that the papers hadnt arrived yet (10am). They were getting later and later and if I wanted to I could find one of her associates who could look and see if there were any around. I decided to get the heck out of dodge before I really lost my temper. SHe really couldnt see that there was a serious problem or why I was so vexed.

After a very hot and rather nasty day we returned tired and sore around 5pm and I decided I would enquire again after my newspaper (I am a crossword addict and lack of Independent was not enhancing my day). This receptionist was altogether more interested in my woes and agreed with her earlier colleague on the erractic arrival of the newspapers and said she would raise lack of wakeup call with relevant manager. I shared that in my expereience the hotel would be wiser not to offer services it either couldn't or had no intention of providing. If we hadnt been offered a wake up call we would have used some of the tech we had in tow. At last count, one laptop, 2 smart phones, 2 kindle fires and one digital watch any one of which could have been utilised and that I considered this their worst sin - admitedly had my husband swallowed that plastic I may have been a little less sanguine about that incident.

We decided to take our lives into our hands again and eat in the hotel that evening so you can tell the food was pretty exceptional.

And the next morning my Independent arrived with the breakfast.Of course we didnt need an alarm call that day but we had everything set ready for action. I pity anyone in any adjoining room as they may have thought an alien invasion was imminent.

East Close - fire your newsagents - NOW. papers should be there in time for the start of breakfast or havens above you might be forced to TALK to your spouse.- particularly when guests are paying for them. And don't offer alarm calls you cannot make.

Fellow travellers, this is a lovely hotel, with charming friendly staff who want to make your stay the best it can be - I would say book with no hesitation and we probably will return - such a screaming shame it was let down by such silly things. Silly until youre at the sharp end that is.

Room Tip: we were in room 16 which faced A35 but good double glazing - slept like infants.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lesa M
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
So pleased to read you would return despite the annoying issues you have raised. Indeed newspapers are an issue and you are quite right that maybe we should not offer them. Our dilemma is that providing no service may become a point of contention with guests who might not expect that our paper boy was so unpredictable.
We all hope to see you again and thanks for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had a mid week stay as a party of four. When we arrived we were greeted by very pleasant bar staff .. Had lunch and as we had been told we could check in at 2 ..it was now 2.45 we went to the hotel reception desk...the young lady was on the phone to someone she obviously knew well and continued to talk..I coughed politely and she put her hand on the phone and asked me what I wanted when I said to check in she said could I just wait one minute as she was trying to fix credit card machine..we wandered about for 10 mins came back she was still on the phone and made no effort to attend to us...luckily a man saw us came over and booked us in. This woman obviously needs customer service course! We were directed to our rooms ..it would have been nice to have been shown and perhaps the needs to help with luggage would have been better.
The rooms are lovely, we had number 1 and 2 number 1 is much bigger and flat all over, good for me as am disabled. Both bathrooms are huge with claw foot baths and huge showers. Toiletries are of good standard and the rooms are decorated to high spec. Room 1 has huge French style bed and 2 lovely little chaise ..the wardrobe is large but has no full length hanging space. Tv is very large with good reception. Wi - fi is free but doesn't work in this room. Room 2 is smaller but just as nice but has a walk a wardrobe but no seating! Good tea making supplies. Would benefit a couple of things to bring it up to perfect an information booklet with perhaps sample menus or available room service. List of breakfast times and restaurant opening hours. Pen and paper, but that's just being picky. There is a busy road outside with lots of traffic but even with windows open didn't bother us that much (but we do live in a busy town) After the first night we were surprised by the cleaning (or lack of it) in the rooms both beds had just been 'pulled across' and not properly made, the floors had not been hovered as previous guests had left sequins on the floor and they were still there. Breakfast on the first day was well cooked with two egg full English, breakfast on the second day was not as well cooked with one egg full English and shared baked beans, the choice of fruit would have been good. Grounds are very nice with big bean bags, out size chess set and nice short walks. Overall its a good hotel but just a few tweaks could make it a great one, staff whilst polite seem not very experienced

Room Tip: We had room 1 which is huge with a massive French style bed and large bedroom the other couple in th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank SableMable
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you, we take all your points on board and appreciate you taking time to bring them to our attention.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We held our wedding at the hotel in June and it was a wonderful day that ran very smoothly. We were granted access the night before to set up the marquee which was very helpful as we had many personal touches including vintage china and our own vintage champagne saucers which despite some hesitation the hotel agreed we could use. The marquee is a delightful bright area perfect for a summer dinning and the staff were very efficient and friendly. Our room for our first night as husband and wife was a wonderfully huge room with roll top bath, breakfast was great and it was lovely to dine again with a selection of our guests who had filled the remaining rooms at the hotel. Although 10am checkout is slightly hard after a day on the champagne it is understandable considering the amount of weddings the hotel hosts. We could not have asked for more for our special day and this venue offers class, great location, professionalism and great value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Emily G
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments, it was a pleasure to contribute to your day.
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

My son and daughter in law held their wedding reception here this June and it was absolutely wonderful. The decor fitted well with their vintage theme and we were able to bring whatever we wished to enhance the event. There were several planning meetings with the wedding co-ordinators and manager to ensure the day ran smoothly. A. marquee was available which we chose not to use but instead used the Garden Room which sat 80 for the wedding meal. Guests could spill out into the superb grounds, where there was patio furniture, soft chairs and an outdoor chess set. The staff worked tirelessly throughout the day and evening and helped connect computer equipment to a TV screen for speeches (something we would have struggled with). We employed a 4 piece live band for the evening reception when a further 60 guests were invited. The live music went down very well, even though the area they performed was quite small. The dance floor was full most of the evening. The guests were booked into the exclusive side wing above the reception rooms and the bride and groom's suite was included in the package. The budget rooms above the Conqueror were also used. In the morning we all ate breakfast together. We thought the 10.00 am checkout was rather early, but on reflection, we managed.
We would like to have seen the wedding co-ordinators wearing an appropriate professional dress or uniform at the planning meetings, but this was just an observation rather than a direct criticism.
Eastclose have weddings tuned to perfection and we all just loved every minute.

Room Tip: The rooms in the reception area are superior to Conqueror.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank KennedysHampshire
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments, its great to read how much our efforts are appreciated.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Checked in last week for 1 night. Pointed out to the staff that the carpet in our room wasn't the cleanest (Room 4) and was immediately offered Room 2 as an alternative. Both these rooms are superior rooms, which on the whole are beautifully decorated with lovely large bathrooms.
Ate off the two for one menu for dinner; this is unbelievable value @ 4 courses for approx £15 each!!
The food was delicious with a great choice of wine too.
A very comfortable nights sleep was followed by an equally delicious breakfast.
Would definitely return and stay here again!

Room Tip: Superior room with big bathroom.
1 Thank Basilbalti
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thanks for your review. I am sorry you had concerns with the carpet, we do have them cleaned by a professional cleaning company regularly but all our bedroom carpets are cream so it only takes one accident from the previous guest to cause a problem. Thanks for taking time to review.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We have just spent two nights at the Eastclose Hotel to celibrate our 15th wedding anniversary. One of the reasons for choosing the hotel was because it was dog friendly and they made us and our little dog very welcome. We stayed in a dog friendly room and it had the benefit of its own entrance which made early or late walks with the dog really easy. The gardens are lovely and back onto open fields. We had a lovely meal on our first night and the T-bone steak was one of the best we have ever eaten and what can we say about honeycombe cheesecake - absolutely gorgeous! Breakfast was also very good and we enjoyed the full English plus toast, cereal, fruit juice etc. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. Short drive into Christchurch. Would we stay again, youbetcha! A big thank you to all, who made our stay special.

1 Thank Mark C
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Lymington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Staying at the hotel for a fabulous wedding we checked in to a tiny dirty room, there was a horrible smell in the room which we reported to reception to which no action was taken, the staff seemed in a daze and completely confused when we asked to eat breakfast on the patio. By the time they brought the sauces, coffee and butter over the meal was cold. On check out I was not asked how my stay was and very little interest was taken in our stay or comfort. We requested a morning paper but it was not delivered. The bathroom did not have the essentials like soap.
Overall the lack of up keep of the hotel and uninterested staff lead to a disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
You asked if you could move rooms on arrival before you had seen the budget room you had been allocated by the bride who's wedding you were attending. The hotel was full, the bride had booked and allocated the rooms to all of her guests having inspected them.

We provide a high standard of toiletries in the room, if there was something missing it would have been good if we had had an opportunity to correct a missing item had this been the case.

There was no smell in the room when we went to investigate, you had however opened the window so I can only assume it must have been a temporary smell.

It would have been far more helpful to us if you had decided to have breakfast outside prior to ordering it and it arriving, this would have allowed us to prepare the patio table, take your order and serve your tea and coffee in advance of the freshly prepared breakfast arriving.

Our staff do care and are interested but we could not move the room you had been allocated by the bride of the wedding you attended who had booked and allocated all the rooms, sorry.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
South Lawn Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea

Been to Eastclose Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!