“Good or bad depending on your point of view”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Pocomoke City
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Small town, not many hotel option to begin with. Felt like going back in time to the 50's. Expansive area backed by the woods. You could literally pitch tent and have a real picnic. Extremely friendly people running the hotel.
If you think it is camping with kids but with benefit of hotel amenities then this place is a great fun place to stay.
If you think you are in a good size city with lots of hotels then this place is a really old dump.
In any case, there's certain olden days and adventurous charms about the place that I can't dislike.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank 48Traveling

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We were greeted warmly at the desk. Our room was back from the highway among the pine trees and looked to have been recently renovated. Saved 70-80 dollars over actually sleeping chincoteague (about 20 minutes away) but still got all the benefits of visiting the beach and seeing the ponies. Basic continental breakfast, but that is what we expected. This place will be in our plans next year and so is the nice discovery center in downtown pokomoke city!

Room Tip: it is right on the highway to the rooms away from the road among the huge pine trees were very quiet...
Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dougn H
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We were traveling down to the Outer Banks, this time with the dog, so we needed a dog-friendly place for the night. I've stayed in the 'choice hotel' brands before, usually because that is where a client puts me up. However, this place was right out of the 60s. I recollect vividly the trip in my father's '56 Chevy Belair from Chicago to Palm Beach, and staying in one of these flea-bag type hotels somewhere right off the brand new interstate in Nowheresville Georgia, with bugs, cracks in the wall, shower that didn't work, and my Mom insisting she was sleeping in the car. Well, this place didn't have the bugs.... but it does have a drive up check in window.

Someone had made an attempt at updating the rooms, with new, but cheap mattresses, granite counters, etc. but the drapes still had holes in them, sneaker prints on them (yes, sneaker prints), the bed looked unmade, and the shower didn't work. Stains on carpet, stains on furniture.... We were outta there by 4am!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We weren't asking for much but we do expect a clean room. This room was not. There was a bad smell throughout the room. The bathroom was not clean and the tub leaked. There were at least a dozen flies in the room when we first came and I had to kill them all. Or so I thought as a couple more appeared. Wifi was very spotty and I had to call the office to try and reset it. We booked through Expedia who stated that a roll away bed would be an extra $10/night. But the motel said no, it's $15/night. They did have a breakfast each morning which was OK but the coffee was not. In the end, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Every time we tried the key, the handle would not let us in. My friend tried, I tried, and the manager came and it opened. Every time we needed to get in, same scenario. The room was dark and dank. We could see the shower wall never dried, so there is mold growing behind the wall. At night the air conditioner seemed to be pumping in toxic smells from outside. A woman two doors down knocked on our door and asked if our room smelled awful. She could not stay because of her asthma. The continentall breakfast was pretty sparse. The ice machine is locked up in the lobby at night, so we could not get ice for our trip. Migrant workers use this place and drink beer outside most nights. We felt uncomfortable going to the pool as we had to pass by them. All the hotels in Chincoteague want one week's reservation during the pony swim, so we were stuck with the EconoLodge. It needs renovation! Do NOT go there.

Room Tip: Pass this place and go to Ocean City, MD.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I am rating this 4 out of 5 stars, with the assumption that this is out of Econo Lodge level hotels. this wasn't a 4 star hotel, but that wasn't what I was expecting. It was a roadside motel.

I booked an Econo Lodge with great trepidation, but it was the only place relatively nearby Chincoteague on their peak week of the season (the pony swim). They also did not require a multi night stay as did other hotels.

The lodge was clean, recently renovated and much more than I expected for a motel where you park in front of your room. The front desk clerk, who I suspect was an owner, was quite pleasant and helpful. It appears that one section of the hotel was more recently renovated than others, and she very kindly put most of the guests in that section -- apparently, the rooms were a little bigger and everything was newer.

They had cable, HBO. Bathroom was spotless. Carpet (which is sometimes sketchy in motels) was fine. Linens were modern and clean. It was quiet. I have absolutely no complaints!

One note -- if you use your GPS to find the hotel, you will end up in the middle of a cornfield! I had to call to find the place. But, I noted that throughout Chincoteague, so I suspect that it has something to do with a NASA facility nearby and a built in error for GPS.

Room Tip: if you are on the street facing the hotel, the rooms in the back, left are larger and I suspect more...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank michelleg650
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed there for four nights and will stay again if am in the area. The room was just as advertised ,clean and upgraded and everthing works.I get the feeling that they will continue to renovate over time.
The property is just off Rt.13 but is very peaceful and quiet.The room divider works well because I had four nights of sound sleep. The free WIFI was great.
Overall its a nice property, and the owner were very nice .If you are not very picky type,then this place will work well for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
#4 of 21 in Chincoteague Island
Waterside Inn
Waterside Inn
#5 of 21 in Chincoteague Island

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!