“I was challenged...”
Review of Billy Goat Trail

Billy Goat Trail
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Potomac
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I recently hiked the Billy Goat Trail A, with an experienced hiker. My first time hiking! Did wear hiking boots...glad I did...had some slippery moments that would've caused a sprained ankle. Toward the end of the trail, I dehydrated (no fun), but I hung in there and completed Trail A. Was still sick when done...I did have plenty of water, but it really didn't help me much. I should have researched the "do's and don'ts" of first time hikers. Regardless, I would do it again...it was a lot of fun and challenging.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"the cliff"
"take your time"

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I'm never disappointed by this hike! I've hiked this trail at least 5 time a year for the past 15 years and there's always something new to see. It's my favorite day hike in the DC area. It gets very, very crowded on a nice weekend day. It's best to go on a less than perfect weekday early in the morning or later in the day. If you are going to visit more that 4 times a year, it pays to get the annual Great Falls pass which costs $20 and is good for both the Maryland side and the Virginia side. You can also park for free across from the Old Angler's Inn if there's space.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Challenging hike in beautiful setting. Have to do some scrambling over rocky portion. Part of the Great Falls Park. You should also go to the Great Falls overlook.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Several sections of this wonderful trail to choose from, readily accessible from the C&O towpath. I usually park across from the Old Angler's Inn, head toward Great Falls Park (MD) along a very scenic section of the towpath, and access the Billy Goat Trail at the "covered bridge" and hike back on the challenging terrain back to my starting point -- a comfortable 2+ hours' outing. Sturdy shoes a must for the rocky, uneven "path" - which is often a scramble over boulders, including one very steep incline (or descent, depending on where you started out) with footholds along a crevice between the rocks. Not for those with vertigo or serious joint issues....Great for families with kids who can hold their own on steep terrain for a couple hours, hikers who like variety and views, and the occasional dog with long legs (leave your dachshunds at home.) Take a picnic, and of course, water - there are stretches along rocks in the open sun.