“Best Hiking Trail around PERIOD.”
Review of Billy Goat Trail

Billy Goat Trail
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Potomac
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is my favorite trail and has been since I was about 5 years old. With children of my own now I just can't wait to let them experience this. Best days to go are overcast and slightly cool. The trail has many options for the virgin hiker to the novice.
Its sad to see that people actually don't go here as much as when I was a kid. Literally you could not park in the lot most days now there are plenty of open spaces.
When I was a kid they use to run boat tours down the barges man that was the best. They don't do that anymore due to funding cuts but it was amazing to watch. If you are visiting the area for a tour of DC I would defiantly check this place out. There is more to life than man made structures and beauty to be found even in this big city.

1  Thank D_Kirk2013

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We live in the DC area and whenever people come to visit we take them on the Billy Goat Trail. My brother and his 4 kids, 9-15 came last year from Fla. They said it was the favorite part of their DC trip. They arrived yesterday for this year's visit and today we did half Billy Goat Trail A again (starting from Old Angler's and ending at the marker (2?) that heads back up to the towpath. It was about an hour and 20 minutes. The sign at that point said 1 mile to the trailhead at the falls. But it was 12:30 and we were hungry. Before they leave I think we'll park at Great Falls and hike the other half. I agree with the other comments - water is key.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We visited here while in the DC area and it was fantastic. My wife and I have three girls ages 9-14 and they did fine on the trail. But, if you have young kids, you need to be extremely careful where you're stepping. You are essentially walking from one rock formation to another and there is some climbing involved. They don't call it the billy goat trail for nothing. There were a few moments when we asked ourselves if we made the right decision, but it worked out fine. I will say that we only did part of the hike - at the halfway point, there is an option to get back on the main trail back. It took us about 1 1/2 hrs to do half, but we took our time.

The views are very scenic and definitely would do it again. If you're not looking for a good workout, do a different trail. If you want a little adventure and some awesome views, make sure you go on the Billy Goat.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I recently hiked the Billy Goat Trail A, with an experienced hiker. My first time hiking! Did wear hiking boots...glad I did...had some slippery moments that would've caused a sprained ankle. Toward the end of the trail, I dehydrated (no fun), but I hung in there and completed Trail A. Was still sick when done...I did have plenty of water, but it really didn't help me much. I should have researched the "do's and don'ts" of first time hikers. Regardless, I would do it again...it was a lot of fun and challenging.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I'm never disappointed by this hike! I've hiked this trail at least 5 time a year for the past 15 years and there's always something new to see. It's my favorite day hike in the DC area. It gets very, very crowded on a nice weekend day. It's best to go on a less than perfect weekday early in the morning or later in the day. If you are going to visit more that 4 times a year, it pays to get the annual Great Falls pass which costs $20 and is good for both the Maryland side and the Virginia side. You can also park for free across from the Old Angler's Inn if there's space.