“Great Seafood Restaurant”
Review of Nantucket's Reef

Nantucket's Reef
Reserve with OpenTable
Nantucket's Reef is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 55 Restaurants in Potomac
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Maryland
“Great Seafood Restaurant”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Went to this restaurant with family and we really enjoyed the service and the food was great. Had the raw oysters during happy hour, an appetizer and for the main entree we all had fish, the fish was fresh very tasty and cooked perfect. If you are looking for a seafood restaurant in the area this is a great place and will recommend it.

“Great Lunch!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My family of five were looking for a seafood lunch and we hit the jackpot! From crab cakes to the fried clams it was all freshly prepared, generous portions and delish! The service was great and while the atmosphere was bit stark/cold the overall experience was delightful.

• Visited July 2014
“Great service and amazing food”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Went with a big group and the service was excellent. Fantastic specials that change often. Definitely can't wait to go back when I am back in the area.

Potomac, Maryland
“Everything was so fresh!!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My first impression of this restaurant was that it felt casual and warm. The wait staff was pleasant and attentive. The salad had fresh grilled corn and fennel in it which were nice additions to the very filling appetizer salad. Then the fish dishes that we received were delicious, flavorful and in abundance. In addition, the restuarant is very spacious so if you use a walker or wheelchair, this is a great restaurant to frequent for accessibility. I will definitely return for a casual dinner, with and without my kids.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Today, I Just Couldn't Find Anything Wrong With the Food or the Service”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Before choosing to eat at this restaurant, I read the reviews to get a feel for the restaurant because my friend wanted to eat here. But I forwarded a bad review to her and we changed our mind of going there.
However, my 12 year old nephew, called and asked if I could recommend a restaurant that served mussels. I remember seeing mussels at Nantucket Reef and went back to their website and on the menu, it was written besides the Wicked Mussels "Popular."
So I sent him a text about it along with other restaurant suggestions. He asked if I've been to Nantucket and I said "No." Being adventurous that he is and likes taking risk, he said "I don't want to bore you to restaurants you've been to. Let's go to Nantucket Reef then." I agreed and tried to be cautious by adding "Remember, I've not eaten here yet. We will be taking a risk." Risk was very fine with him. And he's only going to be 12 in November!
It was past 2 p.m. when we arrived and by the time we ordered, all the guests who were there earlier have left and we had the whole restaurant to ourselves. Our waiter was very nice and confirmed that their mussels are very popular. When I asked what was the bestseller or popular besides the mussels and which are his favorites, his eyes lit up and with an accompanying smile, he said the lobster and crab no cake sandwiches. He described both in detail and after visually clicking the description of the no cake (no fillers like others which taste like flour), we decided to have two lobster sandwiches, one crab no cake sandwich and one order of mussels for the appetizers (but no chorizo please because my nephew does not eat pork).
After a few minutes, our waiter came out and said they mistakenly added the chorizo so they were cooking another batch of mussels again. We told them we didn't mind waiting at all. But we were glad of their honesty. They could have just taken out the chorizo and given it to us. So to me that's a plus for them. Trust is important especially when it comes to food. I just read the news about the McDonalds and KFC in China that got victimized by the meat supplier, Husi Food Co. They were selling expired beef and chicken to McDonald's and KFC and other restaurants. I saw the video where they picked the chicken nuggets that fell from the moving tray to the floor and back to the moving tray. That is disgusting. So TRUST is very important to me when it comes to food.
When the mussels came out, it looked really fresh. It was the size we liked too. The sauce was just delicious as you soak the garlic bread into it. THUMBS UP! LIKE! All three of us agreed it was definitely a good choice.
Our two lobster sandwiches and one crab no cake sandwich arrived right after with the accompanying ketchup and mayonnaise, French fries, and corn on the cob. I split it in half and my sister spit her other half and we gave it to each other to try. But the half alone was very filling. The French fries accompaniment was just the way we like it. Mix the ketchup and the mayonnaise together and they compliment the fries! Couldn't eat the other half because the lobster sandwich was very filling. We all had the other half to go along with the corn.

When we got the bill, prior to going to the restaurant, I googled for a coupon and found two. One for $20 off if your bill was $50 and above. The other was buy one and get 1/2 off on the next one. Our bill went over the $50 and so we used that coupon. The waiter came back with the deducted $20 off and told us that they were giving him the mussels with chorizo that they cooked by mistake. It turned out to be a blessing for him! And we were also happy that he can have his favorite mussels added to his late lunch.

I believe that sometimes we go to a restaurant and we're not happy with the food. Maybe the supply that came that day wasn't fresh. Maybe it's not as good as your previous experience. Every day is different from yesterday and tomorrow. We just have to enjoy whatever comes our way and see the positive side of things. I never really give an excellent rating to a restaurant because there is always room for improvement. But when I can't find anything wrong with the food nor the service, they deserve it.

Once I got back to my office, I emailed my friend whom I convinced not to go because of some bad reviews I read. She was quite happy with what I experienced and she wants to go there. So definitely going back with some more friends this time.

All reviews are helpful whether it's a bad or a good review. But if you're curious, just go ahead despite what you've read. You may be pleasantly surprised that it suited your taste!

Life is short as we've seen from the news. Let us enjoy life. Enjoy our food whatever comes our way. Cheers!

1 Thank Parisbreakfast