“Functional for Brief Stay. Surprisingly Good Breakfast.”

SpringHill Suites Prince Frederick
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

Clean, comfortable suite (hoped for more space). Essential mini-fridge, microwave, coffeemaker in sink area.

Sofa, desk, & sink are by entrance (away from window), thereby a darker area of the room; not much natural light reaches it, but enough lamps/lighting to be able to work at desk. (Free working internet.)

Surprisingly good breakfast. (Always hope for *additional* healthy choices.)

"To go" bags helpful when you just don't have time to sit down & enjoy your meal. (Wish all hotels would adopt convenience of "to go" containers.) Grab fruit, yoghurt, & a bagel, so you don't have to miss breakfast because you're in a rush.

Unlike Residents Inns & Homewoods, no evening meals, but Jasper's American Grille is across street. Other eateries within short drive.

Lovely Maryland setting, pleasant location for brief visit -- work or leisure.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank gnomemoss
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Prince Frederick

Reviewed 29 May 2012

The room was very comfortable, staff very nice and efficient and breakfast was good and lots of it.

I was down stairs very early, 5:30 am and breakfast wasn't due out until 7am (Sunday) and the lady preparing the breakfast fixed be coffee and omellete without even asking me.

Really nice down home staff at this hote.

Hotel close to Eastern Shore and other Southern Maryland attractions.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GordonFScott
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Flew in for a job interview,,, this was about half hour north of where i needed to be, Awesome time, actually I reserved this online, and when I showed up, no reservation,,, but the front desk was great, no sweat, she also fixed my old rewards card, gave great recommendation to local eatery as well,,, just a great place to stay

Room Tip: higher the better and away from the elevators,,,
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We booked a room for one night for our family of 4. We are moving out of our house and needed a place to stay.

The room was comfy and spacious with a nice little sitting area. It would have been difficult to watch TV while our daughter's slept in the bed b/c of no separate rooms but we're not TV watchers so were fine.

The free internet was appreciated as we worked on moving details.

Breakfast was a bit crowded as there were a few large groups there so finding seating was a little challenging and the line for waffles was quite long.. However, the food was very good and the employee was really working to make sure all food was amply supplied and tables got cleared quickly. She was very cheerful as well so I do not think anyone had to do without anything they wanted, just had to work around the crowd a bit.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: we were given a room on the first floor and feared it might be noisy but had no problems at all. Ev...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Staff was kind an accomodating. Room was comfortable and clean. What more does one need.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This hotel is very, very nice. I had a wonderful stay. My room was incredibly clean, and the beds were super comfortable. There were two double beds, and a seperate seating area which had a desk, a couch, and a chair. The "kitchen area" wasn't much more than you get in other hotels that have a microwave/refrigerator. It had an extra sink, but no soap or anything else was provided. I did not hear any noise from the hall which was also nice.The only two complaints that I have were that the parking is terrible, and that the person manning the desk in the evening was never there when you first walk up. He appeared pretty quickly, but it wasn't as welcoming as if someone was there to greet you upon arrival. He was very friendly when he got to me, though. I did not use the pool or the exercise room. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone else staying in the area!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Stayed at the SpringHill Suites Prince Frederick for one night as part of a group of rooms blocked for a wedding so we received what we thought was a good rate ($119), especially considering it was Labor Day weekend. Booked a suite with two double beds for my family and I. We wanted to like this hotel, really we did. It looked nice in the photos online and appeared attractive and clean upon arrival, but we left with mixed feelings. My family stayed in 3 different hotels over the course of our trip (1 in Hershey, PA, 1 in DC and this one) and of the 3, this was our least favorite.

LIKES:

Nonsmoking property was #1. Both of the hotels we stayed in on this trip prior to arriving in Prince Frederick had nonsmoking rooms but we kept smelling cigarette smoke from somewhere and it was annoying. Having no-smoking anywhere on at the hotel was fabulous! Can't rave about this enough.

Very friendly and helpful front desk and housekeeping staff. They let us check in an hour early which was a god-send so we were able to get to the wedding we were there for on time and everyone working who I encountered greeted me in a very friendly and genuine fashion.

Attractive, clean rooms and the property overall was tastefully decorated and visually looked well-kept (didn't see any coverlets on the beds like they show in the photos though...doesn't matter to me..just saying).

Breakfast included. Can't comment on the food because we missed it, but it was an attractive dining area. See that under "dislikes".

Conveniently located

Room temperature easily adjusted and able to maintain comfortably

Hide-a-bed was actually fairly comfortable

DISLIKES:

Let me preface my complaints with a caveat that I didn't bother to register them with the hotel staff because we were only there one night, and a very rushed night/morning at that, and figured nothing would be remedied in time for us to enjoy the changes. I was just too exhausted to bother. When we got home I attempted to email the manager via their website and couldn't even find a "contact us" button. The friendly lady who checked us out at the front desk asked if everything was satisfactory and I admit to grumbling, "It was fine" because we were in a hurry to get out of there on the road for our long drive home.

My number one complaint was that the pool and hot tub were DISGUSTING. Took my daughter swimming late in evening after returning from the wedding (nice that its open to 11pm). We were the only ones in the pool, so it wasn't that. It was neat and picked up, but the water was greenish and very cloudy. It didn't smell like chlorine at all. There was a nasty stain and residue all around the edge. It made me shudder once I was in it and realized how gross it was. My daughter got out more quickly than me and went right over and got in the hot tub. I followed her in and then just as quickly got us both out. It was even dirtier. There was a brown, sludgy film all around the top edge of the side and they were not stains...I was able to move the sludge when I touched it with my finger. My daughter was even grossed out and it takes a lot to gross out a precocious 6 year old. I have honestly never been in a pool that was this icky. I swim in a lake all summer long and don't get freaked out by things like this easily but I couldn't get the two of us into the shower fast enough. *shudder* Hopefully it was just a simple matter of them getting their chlorination regulated but until they do, I would suggest staying away. Even the pool towels appeared stained by the icky water. And when I sat down in one of the chairs by the towel stand to take off my shoes I noticed little tiny ants all over the floor. My daughter even had one crawling up her leg I had to knock off. This was a big deal. We choose our hotels based on swimming availability because its a little something special that we can look forward to enjoying and we were not able to enjoy this pool at all. Oh, and the photo of the pool and hot tub on their website is NOT of the pool at that hotel. Definitely not the same place. Must be a stock shot of a Springhill Suites pool or something because the layout was totally different, etc.

Fitness room and pool bathroom were closed/out of order.

No idea how the breakfast was. The book of info. in the hotel room said it was served until 10am, 7 days a week, including holidays, but unfortunately for us, at 9:15am we were told that it ended at 9. My daughter said she thinks the girl who checked us in the day we arrived mentioned that but we were in such a rush to get checked in and to the wedding on time I have no memory of it. So, possibly my fault, but even so, they should change the time in the hotel info book in the room if that's the case.

The towels in the room were thread-bare and dingy. I actually got my hair tangled in a snarled piece of the towel that had broken loose.

The little kitchenette came with 2 mugs, 2 glasses and a pkg with 2 paper plates, and 2 sets of plastic cutlery and napkins. No other paper towels, cutlery, bowls, etc. So even though we had brought cereal and milk with us we had to eat it out of the glasses. Again, if I had asked, maybe they would have scrounged something up for us. The staff seemed great. We just didn't have time to mess around with that.

The ice machine on our floor wasn't operational, but the one on the floor below us worked fine.

The a/c unit was so loud we had to turn it off if one of us was standing near it while trying to talk to someone across the room if we wanted to hear each other.

The layout is bizarre. The doors are at about a 90 degree angle from the hallway so your door semi-faces the door of the room next to yours, and they latch oddly so you have to really slam it to get it shut. I didn't go to bed until after 1am and the folks in the room next to us were in and out of their room at least 5 times after I went to bed, with their door slamming behind them on every in and out. It woke me up over and over again. Didn't hear noise other than that, but that was enough!

All in all, it wasn't a horrible property for the price, but if I was in the area again I'd probably give another place a shot...especially if they had a pool that looked clean. Kind of sad because with just a few changes - clean and chlorinate the pool and hot tub, get rid of the ants, fix the fitness room, get better towels, etc., this hotel might have received 5 stars from us.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prince Frederick
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Chesapeake Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons
Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina
Quality Inn Beacon Marina
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington Park (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)
TownePlace Suites Lexington Park Patuxent River Naval Air Station

Been to SpringHill Suites Prince Frederick? Share your experiences!