“Relaxing, beautiful, historic!”

The Woodlawn Historic B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Ridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Close to Point Lookout State Park on the Bay.
House is very old but well-maintained.
Complimentary wine tasting most days.
Copious and delicious breakfast included while enjoying water view at picture window.
Friendly owners & staff.
Got a great deal, and was told we could get same price next time!
Book far ahead - it is very popular!

Room Tip: Main house is Best!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Martha S
There are newer reviews for The Woodlawn Historic B&B

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Jim - Thinking of Woodlawn all the time. My grandmother (Marion Conrad) will be 100 years old on March 30th. She is still strong and tells us stories after stories. She is always talking about the awesome time she spent at Woodlawn reminiscing of all the by-gone days of when her mother and all her siblings were born at Woodlawn at the top of the stairs in the tiny room. She is amazed at the room under the dining room where her grandmother hid when he escaped from Point Lookout. I truly want to come again and stay at Woodlawn. Again thank you so much for sharing our beautiful ancestral home with us and others.

Therese DeSanto
Virginia Beach

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Therese D
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We selected this B&B as the venue for my parents 40th anniversary celebration. We were not disappointed! From the moment we arrived, we felt right at home and can't say enough wonderful things about our hosts, Jim and Maggie. The views are breathtaking! I made one of my photos the desktop background on my computer at work and my-coworkers ask if it is a real picture because it is so beautiful. We utilized the main house as well as all of the guest houses and this was the perfect set-up for our extended family. I highly recommend Woodlawn and definitely plan to come back again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Becky B
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My wife and I truly enjoyed this scenic getaway! Upon arrival, Jim, an outgoing owner and host, told me both his father and son were named Harold. Later that evening, after following Jim's recommendation for some pizza, we found ourselves instead in the midst of a local annual chili cook-off contest. We went with the flow and had unlimited chili with sides, plus a beer each, for a total of 8 dollars! So I knew for sure we were not in Kansas anymore, and certainly not in our Maryland suburb of DC! We sampled up to 22 different varieties of chili, and as we were leaving we overheard someone tell another who won the cook-off. It was Harold, the bartender, who had also won the year before! Upon return to the Woodlawn B&B, we learned that among the 4 or 5 other couples there, one from Pennsylvania was also named Harold!

This serendipitous aspect of our quick getaway to Maryland’s western shore continued the next day as well. We visited a carwash just north of Solomon's Island. While waiting for one of 3 or 4 stalls of the carwash to become available, a fellow using the stall at the end waves at us to use his! He explains that he still has $4 worth of time left and doesn't need it! Hop on in, he says. So we scored a free carwash, but we were more impressed with how cheery the fellow seemed to be about being able to do us a good turn!

The wine tasting was a nice opportunity to meet 4 or 5 other couples, and was complimentary as part of the stay. I tend to like most wines, purely for the anti-oxidants and resveratrol, of course. But my wife managed to discover a new favorite, which was their Barbera wine.

Most rooms have an excellent water view, as did ours on the second floor of the main house. It also features a separate sitting room, plus a luxury bath! The latter includes a large whirlpool tub, separate shower, two vanities, and a walk-in closet.

We contemplate a return with kids/grandkids where we'll likely stay in one of the nearby adjoining cottage suites that also enjoy great water views. Hopefully soon!
- Harold HH

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house, 2nd floor, rear bedroom with luxury bath. A good choice!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harold H
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We tried this B&B after finding them on Grouping. The location was gorgeous, I would like to experience it in the Spring. We arrived late at night and the owner, Jim, left a note and key for us. We appreciated the effort. The cottage was nice but could've been a bit cleaner. We loved the bed and linens...very cozy. Breakfast is continental...not what is expected at a B&B. The food was basic store-bought pastries and yogurt. The coffee was the best part. We met up with Shirley (sorry if the name is wrong) and other guests for a wine tasting. They have a lot of wine so everyone can find something they like.Shirley was very friendly and accommodating. On a recommendation from Jim we went to Courtney's for dinner. He described it as a local dive with great seafood. I was glad we went expecting a dive...it certainly was. The seafood was okay but not worth the cost. Service was verrry slow. Our second and last morning we decided to sleep in and skip breakfast. When we went to check out, Shirley was waiting for us and warming pastry in the oven. We appreciated the effort she put into giving us breakfast to go! We certainly didn't expect it to be waiting for us. Overall it's a nice place but I would wait for another groupon-type deal to go again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was lucky enough to discover Woodlawn a few years ago when I was visiting wineries in Southern Maryland. The B&B also serves as Slack Winery, which is a bonus for any wine lover. I returned for the delicious wine 2 times after the initial visit, but always wanted to stay and enjoy the grounds which back right up to the water. I finally got that chance when we held a small family gathering there.

Planning for the get-together was entirely stress free, thanks to owners, Jim and Maggie. Both were more than accommodating and they truly felt like they were part of our family. They went above and beyond what I expected them to do, and were exceptional with answering any questions we had in a timely manner. They take pride in the Estate and what they do which reflects in the kindness and respect given to their guests, along with the cleanliness of the rooms, which are spacious and beautiful!

The hosts, wine, breakfast, scenery/location and company couldn’t have been better. Everyone enjoyed themselves, and I’m certain that Jim and Maggie will be seeing many members from my family return for another visit!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank McJB410
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

This was our fifth or sixth visit to Woodlawn and the experience keeps getting better. This time the wine tasting on a sunny Sunday afternoon was a highlight. And the location, on Calvert Creek, could not be more beautiful. It's a special place we plan to return to many times in coming years.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank TMonk260
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridge
Island Inn and Suites
Home2 Suites by Hilton Lexington Park Patuxent River Nas, Md
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
#1 of 9 in Lexington Park

Been to The Woodlawn Historic B&B? Share your experiences!