“Perfect Getaway with Perfect Hosts”

Inn at Huntingfield Creek
Ranked #2 of 10 Rock Hall B&B and Inns
Rockville, Maryland
“Perfect Getaway with Perfect Hosts”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I were looking for a quick two day vacation somewhere near our home outside of Washington, DC and stumbled (online) upon the Inn at Huntingfield Creek. We decided to give it a try (even though I am particular about the B&Bs I like) and we were not disappointed. We had a wonderful two-day getaway at this picturesque bed and breakfast set on a beautiful property. We had beautiful views out of the front and back of the house in our cozy upstairs room, enjoyed delicious, home cooked breakfast and lively conversation with the innkeepers - Joanne & Jim, who felt like family - and fellow guests, and loved strolling the grounds. Having a pool on property was a definite plus but not as much as the colorful vegetable and cutting garden, herb garden, patio with plenty of places to relax, cottage garden, sunflower field, a small lake (with adirondack chairs, of course) and direct access to the bay. Every building on property is perfect - I wish we had an event coming up so we could stay on property and utilize their perfect barn (with chandeliers installed!!) Even Joanne & Jim's three dogs added to our experience - following us around looking for adventure with us! We couldn't have been happier with our choice! Joanne & Jim not only filled us in on the town of Rockhall, past and present, but directed us to all of the best places to eat, drink and watch the sunset! The Kitchen at Rockhall was delicious- one of our favorite meals ever! We had a blast listening to live music, eating crabs and watching the sunset at the Waterman and lunch was delicious at Harbor Shack. Everything about our trip was perfect and we hope to come back and visit again soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
James R, Owner at Inn at Huntingfield Creek, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
That really does sound perfect, Julie! We're so glad that you were able to take advantage of your time away and really relax -- there's nothing more rejuvenating than watching the sun set over the lake! Thanks for sharing your kind words, and please keep us in mind next time you need to get away from it all!

Warm regards,
Jim and Joanne Rich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
NYC
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I got married at the Inn this past weekend. We've stayed there before and fell in love with the place, and that is why we knew that it was the only place to have our special event.

In every aspect, Huntingfield excels. Here's how to think of it: Your coolest friends have invited you to stay with them at their gorgeous 70 acre estate. Their home is your home. Even their three dogs, Java, Jezebel and Maggie, will follow you around as if they're your dogs.

The grounds are immaculately manicured, large but still intimate, with creative decorative touches everywhere. There's a pond with fountains, an inlet from the Chesapeake with a dock, fields of sunflowers, sculptures and artwork strategically placed.

The inn and the cottages are beautifully decorated but with modern amenities. There are numerous private spaces where you can stretch out and make yourself at home. Get your friends and fix yourselves some drinks and hit the pool, or hang out at one of the many indoor or outdoor spaces. Fire up the grill behind your amazing cottage if you want to.

But the best aspect are the owners, Jim and Joanne Rich. The fact that they manage this operation flawlessly is a given. What makes it really great is that they're so fun and smart and interesting. Again, the experience is that of staying in the beautiful home of amazing friends.

There is simply no point in staying anywhere else but Huntingfield if you're on holiday in the area. If you have Jim and Joanne host your wedding, you will experience flawless perfection in the execution. The praise from our friends about every aspect of our wedding could fill a book.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cgiuffre
James R, Owner at Inn at Huntingfield Creek, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Craig and Wendy, we hope your first few days of marital bliss have been wonderful! Both of us are grateful for your kind words and are delighted that we met your expectations and that you are pleased. We truly wish you will return when in need of some tranquility...we and our four legged friends will be here to greet you!
Heartfelt thanks,
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

With three of our kids at sleep away camp and the fourth on vacation with some cousins, I decided to book a belated anniversary getaway with my husband. Our summer was filled with lacrosse, soccer and swim meets, with very little downtime for my husband and me. We live in a touristy town along the Chesapeake Bay, so I was looking for a place not too far away that wouldn't be filled with tourists. Rock Hall seemed to fit the bill. We booked at two night week day stay in the Pond Cottage. i waffled back and forth between a room in the house itself versus one of the cottages, but was so glad I splurged on the cottage. It was exactly what I was looking for…the room was so comfortable with a king size bed, gas fireplace, nice reading chair, microwave/mini fridge, coffee station, even wine glasses! The bathroom was large with a modern shower and jacuzzi tub. Sliding doors led to a small deck with adirondack chairs overlooking a pond with amazing landscaping. We enjoyed two nights sitting outside with a glass of wine, relaxing in the peace and quiet. It was perfect.

Some thoughts about our stay. We were greeted by one of the staff as we arrived a little late and missed Jim and Joanne who had gone out to a meeting. The staff member showed us all around the public spaces, the breakfast room, the spacious reading/lounge room full of books, a fully stocked fridge with beer, wine, soda and water as well as freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. The grounds were just beautiful with adirondack chairs scattered about, a hammock, salt water pool. We quickly headed out b/c it was a Wednesday night - even in summer, most/many of the few restaurants in town are closed on Wed nights, and those that were open closed at either 8 or 9pm. Afterward, we sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful evening.

The next day, we had breakfast with four other couples, three of whom were checking out that morning. Breakfast was very filling with numerous choices, all delicious. After breakfast, we took our bikes and rode down to the National Wildlife Refuge - from the Inn, it was about 7 miles each way, but with the couple of trails we took along the way, the total trip for us was over 17 miles. I am NOT a big cyclist…I usually just take a leisurely 2mile ride around my neighborhood with my kids, but the road was absolutely deserted of cars and completely flat. It was a relatively easy ride with beautiful scenery. Once we got back, we were hungry from all the exercise and headed into town for lunch at The Kitchen which was very good. After lunch, we headed back to the Inn where we basically had the place to ourselves! We swam in the pool, chatted with one of the property managers, then my husband went off to lay in the hammock while I lounged by the pool to read. My husband played ball with the friendly dogs while chatting quite a bit with Jim about the inn and the local area.

As part of our package, we received a voucher for a Sunset Sail, so after the nice, relaxing afternoon, we headed to the marina for that. Joanne had kindly made the reservation for us when we booked our stay. We had perfect weather and really enjoyed the sailing. Afterward, we had drinks and appetizers at Watermans as it was too late to get dinner anywhere after we got back. We then headed back to the Inn for a glass of wine on our private deck. Just lovely.

I can't say enough about how relaxing and peaceful our stay was. There isn't that much to do in Rock Hall, as it's really a small fishing village, but that is exactly what I was hoping for. Though I know my kids would enjoy a trip to this Inn, I decided to keep it a special place for my husband and me to enjoy again in years to come. We definitely will go back again! In fact, one of the other couples we met had been coming there for many, many years.

One last comment…I was waffling back and forth initially about whether to book here or the Inn at Osprey Point. Though I cannot compare the two since I've never been to the other, after seeing where Osprey Point was located, I was so happy that I chose the Inn at Huntingfield Creek instead. Though I'm sure Osprey Point is lovely too, the 60 acres of beautiful landscaped grounds at Huntingfield Point, and its more private location, were just what I was looking for. It's just as close to town as Osprey Point just on the other side of town, away from all the marinas.

Room Tip: We splurged on a cottage for more privacy. The Pond Cottage was amazing - a beautiful view of the p...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fourkids4us
James R, Owner at Inn at Huntingfield Creek, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Perfect timing for a romantic getaway! It was a pleasure to help you and your husband unwind and reconnect, and we're thrilled that you chose to spend that special time with us. Thanks for sharing your kind words, they're music to our ears...please keep us in mind next time you need a little time away from it all!

Union, NJw Jersey, USA
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I decided to celebrate my birthday in May at the Inn at Huntingfield Creek. I have only great things to say about this B&B and the inn keepers. From the beginning, our experience was very pleasant. Booking our stay was easy and we were welcomed to the property with a quick tour. Jim and Joanne were such great hosts and were more than happy to share information about the B&B and the local businesses.
Our room was very comfortable and cozy. The bed felt like I was sleeping on a cloud and I slept like a baby. My wife and I had a long drive to the Inn so when we got to our room I decided to take a 20 minute nap. After only a few minutes, I was knocked out and found that I had slept for well over an hour. haha. We had dinner a local seafood restaurant by the bay and enjoyed the food.
In the morning, we gathered with the rest of the guests on the main floor and were treated to a wonderful breakfast. The food was delicious and the experience of talking and sharing stories with the other guests and inn keepers is something that we enjoyed.
The inn keepers' 3 dogs were also very friendly and were more than happy to show us the amazing property that they call home. We went fishing, and walked around the entire property with the 3 of them. Speaking of the property, it is very beautiful and well maintained. The property has a small pond, a hammock under some trees, an outdoor patio area and a fireplace, a huge field in the back, and a dock overlooking the water. It is a marvelous property that instills a sense of peacefulness and relaxation.
I'm going to end my review here, because I think many of the other satisfied guests have expressed a lot of the great things we enjoyed about this B&B. I would highly recommend this Inn to all of my friends and we look forward to another stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
James R, Owner at Inn at Huntingfield Creek, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Yes, our beds were designed to lull you to sleep! We're glad you and your wife had a relaxing stay, and hope you're feeling recharged and ready to take on the week. Keep us in mind next time you need to unwind -- after all, there's nothing more relaxing than a gentle swing in a hammock with a full tummy and a good book! :)

Regards,
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had the advantage of reading the reviews before we made our reservations so we expected a wonderful getaway. Those who wrote before us were absolutely on target. We had a delightful time, and the owner's dogs, Jezabel, Maggie, and Java were gracious to our Chihuahua, Pete.

This is a place to go and relax, do some biking, and just take a walk. We can only say, "Go!"

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
James R, Owner at Inn at Huntingfield Creek, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
So happy to hear that everyone felt at home! :) Thanks for the fantastic review. Keep us in mind next time you two and Pete need a little time to unwind!

Regards,
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My fiance and I visited here for a weekend and we have been to a few B&B's and this one is definitely a must visit! Jim and Joanne the owners, along with the welcoming committee Jezabel, Maggie, and Java (their 3 adorable dogs), who played tour guide to a few of our walks, were very gracious and warm! It is easy to tell how much pride they take in their home and in the hospitality they provide- we were even greeted outside the front door with Jim helping us with our bags! When we saw there was no tv in the room at first we were disappointed but then realized how genius- as it makes you unwind from the world and enjoy your company, the home, and the beautiful grounds. After all that is why we picked this B&B and to go away in the first place- to unwind! We watched a sunset from the water, enjoyed taking pictures of the fields of sunflowers, and many perennials throughout the entire grounds..Breakfast was delish- LOVED the Very Berry Breadpudding! ....The town of Rock Hall is quaint and we enjoyed the shops. the small beach, and friendly local folk! A visit to Chestertown is a must- very "southern feel" town with many historic homes, great boutique shops, and a farmers market! We will be back and have already encouraged a few of our friends to make the trip! Thanks again! :) -Kim & Adam

Room Tip: We stayed in Chester Chase and was very quite, tucked upstairs in rear of the Main Home.. The cottag...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
James R, Owner at Inn at Huntingfield Creek, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Yes, not having a TV around really does help you unwind and take in the beauty -- and the company -- around you! We're thrilled that you and your fiance felt at home with us, Kim, and that our pups were able to show you around as well. :) Thanks for relaxing with us, and for your kind words. We can't wait to welcome you and Adam back again for more gorgeous views and Very Berry Breakfast Bread Pudding!

New York
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We attended a wedding here and it was really awesome! we took a walk around the grounds that lead to a creek, and the southern edge of Huntington Field creek. very peaceful and nice views, with a lovely Guest house and marvelous library. Loved the cherry table and furnishings as well as the wine cabinet which easily dubs as a French Armoire. simply charming.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
James R, Owner at Inn at Huntingfield Creek, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
We're thrilled that you had such a relaxing visit! Thank you for sharing your kind words, and please keep us in mind next time you need to get away from it all!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rock Hall
#1 of 10 in Rock Hall
Mariners Motel
Mariners Motel
#1 of 2 in Rock Hall

Been to Inn at Huntingfield Creek? Share your experiences!