“Great soup”
Review of J & J Seafood - CLOSED

J & J Seafood
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: A tiny seafood restaurant/store on the way into Rock Hall from Chestertown.
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Had the Hungarian Mushroom soup, was fantastic. Fish taco was more of a wrap and was not my favorite, but would go back for the soup alone.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

We brought a party of 13 to this quaint little place in rock hall. We called ahead as we about took up the whole dinning area with our group. Sharren amd Danny treated us like we were family. Mostly we had steamed crabs and they were the best our boating group had had all season! The special crab sauce is a must to try. All of our group want to thank the team for taking such good care of us and recommend this to all enjoying the pleasures of Rock Hall,MD.

1  Thank TayloeLiz
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We heard about this place from a local shop owner and were not disappointed. My wife ordered a cu p of their crab soup which was incredible. We ordered a dozen large steamed crabs that were fantastic. Be sure to ask for some secret crab sauce! Call them to make sure of when they close or if you have a large group. Well worth stopping it!

1  Thank BEAM001
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Visitors often ask me where they can find the best food on the water. Their best bet is to enjoy the two separately for the most enjoyable experience Rock Hall has to offer. For the best food at the best price, there is only one answer - J & J. The owners (Danny and Rita) are almost always on the premises, and they take pride in what they serve. Rita makes everything from scratch, which pretty much distances them from all other local eateries. Everything is prepared fresh and to order.

Just yesterday it was sweltering hot in Rock Hall. As I was eating, one customer after another was coming in to get potato salad to go since they know where the best is found. Their weekday lunch specials are big sellers, and the dinner specials offered on Fridays and Saturdays sometimes sell out early. Honestly, when Rita offers Crab Imperial as a dinner special, it is a meal you surely don't want to miss. Unlike most other restaurants, there is only enough filler to hold it together and add just the right amount of flavor. I've never had better, and certainly not at that price.

The atmosphere is not fancy, but there is almost always someone interesting to talk to. And for those not from the area, many like to view the photos of local waterman and of Rock Hall when Hurricane Isabel rolled through in '03.

In another review, I saw both onion rings and crabs mentioned. Since I usually dine alone, the onion rings are too big of an order for me to tackle. However, they are excellent and not greasy. The crabs are NEVER reheated (a problem mentioned in reviews of other restaurants), and they can steam them to your taste, whether that is mild, medium, or spicy. Before starting any meal at J & J, it is always a good idea to have some of their freshly made soup. They always have cream of crab and veggie crab, and both are excellent. Other soups are available in addition at most times, and I've yet to try any I didn't like.

With a lot of selections to choose from on their menu, I sometimes spot one I've yet to try. A few months ago I discovered the soft taco (more the size of a meat burrito) and got stuck on those for a while. Now that the weather has turned hot, I recently tried the salad medley (tuna salad, chicken salad - white meat only, and shrimp salad), and found that to be better than I'd expected.

For seafood lovers, this is THE place for fresh seafood. Since J & J is not just a restaurant, but also a seafood store, everything comes right from the showcase and is cooked to order. The blackened tuna is my personal favorite, but many people like the mixed seafood basket to get a sample of a few choices.

For those who'd prefer to do their own cooking, there is always a good selection of fresh seafood in the showcase. Many people have come in not knowing what they wanted or how much they needed, but the staff is very good at helping customers find just the right selection and amount. If the crabs are running small or light in weight, they will always mention that so there are no unpleasant surprises.

Although I cannot recommend this restaurant/seafood store highly enough, please don't steal my table when you go. lol And for those who want great food and a great water view at the same time, get your order to go and drive down to Ferry Park on the bay. Just follow route 20 to the end, then turn left. The beach is less than 2 blocks down. You can dine in a gazebo, on a bench, or on the sand. All offer a breath-taking view of the Chesapeake. See you there.

3  Thank M_R_LUCKY_POLOS
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Interestingly we were other customers in the restaurant when the previous reviewers were there.

Our second home is in Rock Hall and our pattern is go to the house, unload, and go to J&J. We've never had a bad meal or experience there. The food is always good and the service is always friendly. Any of the crab dishes are good, cream of crab soup is exceptional, even the sloppy joes are good. Plenty of choices if you don't like seafood. Even more choices if you do like seafood.

We try to go to some of the other restaurants in town on our stays--try the new Kitchen at Rock Hall, Harbor Shack, but always go to J&J first. The owners and staff know seafood and know how to treat their customers.

2  Thank MDCPA