“Homey, great food, good price.”
Review of The Kitchen at Rock Hall - CLOSED

The Kitchen at Rock Hall
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Homey, great food, good price.”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Rock Hall is a place for my wife and I to "retreat" to once in a while. We hadn't been there for a few years so The Kitchen at Rock Hall was new to us.

They didn't have the crab soup that day....I survived without it and jokingly reprimanded Steve, the proprietor, for not having it that day. (It had been recommended on a web site.)

I had the Ruben sandwich. It was fabulous. And Steve came out. He explained that they corn their own beef, and he described the other things they do themselves. He didn't come on like a salesman, or a shyster. We just talked about running a little business like that.

It was perhaps the best Ruben I'd ever had. The service was great. The place is small, homey, and there are tables outside.

I wanted to take a picture of Steve outside the place the next day but he was off picking up food or something, so I had to take a few pics without him.

Enjoy it!

I can't recommend the place strongly enough.

Chevy Chase, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best meal ever”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The chef in this small restaurant is exceptionally talented with flavors. The fist was done to perfection like none other and the pork was exceptional as well. If he does cooking lessons, I want to learn from him. This restaurant is worth the trip whether you have business in the area or not.

1 Thank Gloria V
Annapolis, Maryland
“Hoped to go for dinner, but had to settle for lunch instead.”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

There aren't a lot of decent restaurant choices in Rock Hall, so we were hoping to give The Kitchen a try for dinner. Unfortunately, they are closed on Wednesdays, the day we arrived, and the next night we had a schedule sunset cruise that wouldn't get us back in time before the restaurant closes at 9pm (most restaurants in Rock Hall close at either 8pm or 9pm unfortunately). Still, wanting to give it a try, we opted to go for lunch. I had the cream of crab soup which was very good, though has a bit of kick, which I liked, as well as the breaded oyster sandwich with tomato remoulade. The sandwich was very good which nice fresh oysters, but a little heavy after eating the soup (in hindsight, I would have skipped the soup). My husband had the crab cake sandwich which he raved about. I could see the huge chunks of lump crab with no filler - it was pricey for a crab cake sandwich but definitely worth it given the amount of lump crab. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. It was a beautiful day so we opted to sit outside. I'd definitely go back and hopefully next time, get there for dinner. A welcome change from the other typically touristy seafood places along the waterfront.

2 Thank Fourkids4us
Chestertown, Maryland
“Don't blink: you'll miss this breakfast heaven”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Inside feels like a small family diner, outside feels like a small town bistro. Either way, omelets were very good, but the french toast was divine. Even the kids loved going. Great for entertaining out of town guests as this place rivals any big-city counterpart.

• Visited July 2014
Chestertown, Maryland
“Pork Wellington”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Had heard this was a good restaurant. Went to try it out. Special was pork Wellington that night. Wow. My wife had the beef filet. Wow. We tried the chocolate bread pudding for desert...first time I have ever had chocolate bread pudding...didn't like it at all...not the chef's fault...I just don't like chocolate bread pudding. Others have raved. Service and atmosphere excellent. Have tried to get back there again, but things conspire to prevent it.

• Visited May 2014