“Great experience on sailboat Eos” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 18 things to do in Rock Hall
Rocky River Ohio
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great experience on sailboat Eos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

We have chartered from Haven over the past 20 years - very reputable and friendly charter company. There is a new boat in the fleet - Eos. We have been on this boat several times - Eos is a fabulous boat for 2 to 6 people. It's a 2012, sails beautifully, huge cockpit and all of the comforts of home. The A/C is a blessing on sultry nights. I highly recommend this boat if it is available.

Visited September 2012
5 Thank marusia

Washington, D.C.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Sailing the Chesapeake Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2007

So there wasn't anything on here, so I figured I'd do a more broad review of a recent trip I took with my girlfriend.

First, let me say that we chartered a sailboat from Haven Charters ([--]) in Rock Hall, MD. I live in DC so it took us about two hours to get out to Rock Hall, but the drive wasn't bad.

The charter was very "no muss, no fuss." It was my first time chartering, but I really can't think of anything that they could have done better to make this fun and easy. Their weekend rates can be a little costly (though comparitively inexpensive compared to a lot of charter places I looked at on the Bay) but since we took it out for a week, it was only about 40% more than if we had just done a weekend.

We took the boat out on a Saturday morning and cruised around the Bay for a bit before going up the Southern River, just south of Annapolis a bit, and docking at the Selby Bay Yacht Basin. The guy that was running it, Bernard, was terrific. He took great care of helping us get settled. I believe the fee was $.75/ft, so we paid something like $25. A great deal compared to the other places we went to.

That night we were treated to a terrific lightning storm. It didn't start raining for about an hour after we first saw the lightning, so Jen and I just sat in the cockpit having some Yeungling and watching the lightning.

The next day we cruised around a bit more then headed into Annapolis. We docked at the Annapolis Yacht Basin. That was a bit expensive at $2.00/ft, but we were right downtown, so I guess the tradeoff was pretty worth it.

We went to Kyma restaurant on Monday night, and I cannot recommend this place enough. It was probably one of the all-time best meals I have ever had, period. The place is owned by Jose Andres, who is a pretty big DC chef. I've been to some of his other places in DC and am always impressed. Kyma is a greek/spanish fusion small plates restaurant. Terrific service from our waiter Guy, and I highly recommend the calamari appetizer. Bottomline: go there.

We took off from Annapolis on Tuesday morning and headed out into the bay again. We docked at Pohickney Point on Tuesday night and ended up staying until Thursday. It was a pretty picturesque place, but it did cost $1.50/ft, which I thought was a little expensive considering there was no place to get food anywhere around there. We were running pretty low at that point so had to order some pizza from a place in town about 6 mi away. But they do have a pool and nice clubhouse that we were allowed to hang out at.

The last night we anchored on the NE point of Kent Island. It was a gorgeous night, and it being a Thursday, there wasn't a lot of boat traffic. We just made some dinner, had some beers and watched the sun go down, a beautiful night.

So to sum up, great fantastic amazing trip. Highly recommend Haven Charters and Selby Bay Yacht Basin. And if you are in Annapolis GO TO KYMA!!!

[I'll try to load some pics in here later]

11 Thank exqweezme