“Great Tapas Place”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Washington, DC
“Great Tapas Place”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Is place is unassuming and private. Great place to start an affair. Try the flaming cheese.

Visited April 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The sad reality of the eating scene in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC is that the majority of restaurants are poor to midland. Most of the dining establishments you will find are chains of some sort or another, and as such, offer predictability which for many diners is a comfort. However, I prefer to dine at the unusual and the unique, but I only go back to such places if their offerings are "all good" - good food, good wine, good ambiance, good service. Such is the case at a small, out of the way restaurant called Cava. It's one of three restaurants owned by the same group in the DC area, specializing in small plate options and a reasonably well stocked wine cellar. Their Rockville restaurant is in a nondescript little shopping area stuck on the backside of a grocery store parking lot. I've so far had the good fortune to eat there twice. Once for lunch to celebrate a former colleague's new job and once for dinner with three well-travelled foodie friends. On each occasion, Cava exceeded expectations on everything from its wine list to the quality of its food, to the efficiency and friendliness of its wait staff. A popular place given its superiority to other dining options in the local area, Cava was lively and crowded with happy diners during both my visits even though the lunch was on the "late" side and my dinner visit was on a week night. The one downside if there was one (and I'm stretching a bit here) was that the space is a bit small and the chatter from the tightly fit tables was a bit noisier than I would prefer. Cava is at the top of my list for best places to eat on the 270 corridor in Maryland. In my humble opinion, it is well worth a visit and I for one will definitely be going back.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank laweiman
Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best restaurant in Gaithersburg/ Rockville area”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I am not a tapas fan typically since I feel that most tapas restaurants cook a lot of mediocre food. This place is quite the exception. We've eaten here several times over the few years its been open and never had a less than amazing experience. My husband and I are both very critical of our eating experiences and can only say that this place is great. Great food (all of it really) and great wine list. We try to save this place for date nights but have brought our baby to dine here too (and he loved it as well!) Our favorite dishes are the braised beef, the little gyro like sandwiches and the calamari as well as all the dips. You really can't go wrong!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank MDAut
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cava is consistently delicious food and great service!”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Cava's food is always wonderful and everyone we bring there loves it!

Visited March 2012
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Delicious Surprize”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I took one of my good friends to Cava the other day on a week night. It is by far the best place to eat in the vicinity of Shady Grove Road and north of it. Atmosphere was very busy understandably. The lollipop chicken comes highly recommended. The scallop risotto I would stay away from. I tried several other dishes, and all of them were equally good. Cannot wait to take my wife there, who is a huge greek-food nut.

• Visited February 2012