“Worth driving for 30 minutes!”
Review of A & J Restaurant

A & J Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 408 Restaurants in Rockville
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Arlington, Virginia
“Worth driving for 30 minutes!”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This was the place where my husband brought me we officially started dating. It's a small decent place with enough tables and chairs to sit. We never had to wait to be seated. The Chinese women were always nice (especially to my husband who has frequented the place even before we met).

We usually order cold spicy noodles, friend wontons, scallion pancakes and smoked chicken. Everything tasted good and tasted the same. My husband loves their bubble tea and they also gave me one on my birthday for free.

NOTE: THEY ONLY ACCEPT CASH! (which was the downside but it didn't stop us from going back)

The price is very reasonable and the food tastes really good. This is one of our go to places. This place is worth trying.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Capsgirl19

“Disappointing.”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This place was written up in a recent magazine very well, and I love dim sum, so we had to try it. It is difficult to find, but that is not the only problem. The pork dumplings were good, not the best we have ever had, as the magazine suggested. There was no sauce for them and they were all stuck together. They were good enough, just not spectacular. The thousand layer pancake is kind of like a very greasy, dense funnel cake without the powdered sugar or cinnamon. The won ton soup was greasy, and very bland and watery tasting. Bland, bland, bland!

The sesame biscuit with beef was rather interesting. It wasn't delicious or exciting but it was one of those little bites that makes you say..."Hmmm..." It's beef on a thin sesame bread and it is seasoned with cinnamon. Very interesting.

We saw awards all over the wall for Washingtonian best bargain restaurant etc, and I read the write up in the recent magazine, and I have to wonder why the people went so bonkers over this place. The food was really bland and greasy. Not great at all.

On a side note, the chairs are filthy and need a good scrubbing.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank purpose7
travelingmag
“Authentic Chinese food”
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

Located in a small strip mall on Rockville Pike. This place is packed and expect a short wait. The food is very authentic northern Chinese. Mostly noodles, dim sum, and soups. Very little fish or seafood on the menu.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good northern dim sum”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

great selection and quick service. soups not to be missed.
Have taken picky eaters here and they found stuff they loved.

Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I don't understand what is the fuss about?”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I had high expectations for this restaurant. It was recommended by a Taiwanese friend and a Chinese friend who is a native of Beijing. It was not difficult to find if you have a GPS, if not, it might be hard to notice. There is parking up front. The restaurant is small. The menu is not large, it is not the fine dining type. It serves a varieties of noodles and rice dishes and some northern Chinese snacks. I am reluctantly to call it Northern Dim Sum, as dim sum is for Southern Chinese cuisine. I ordered Scallion pancake, Pan-fried pork dumplings, steamed beef dumplings, poached Chinese cabbage, Pork rib with rice. Now the rice is very nice, the quality is better than other Chinese restaurant I have been to. The Pork Chop or Pork Rib as it was described in the menu was actually deep friend and not pan fried, and it was dry, there was no moisture in it. The pan-friend pork dumpling is so so, some of the dumpling were still stuck together with the dough not cooked, I think it might have been deep fried too. The Scallion pancake was think and heavy. I remember I had them in Beijing and Shanghai before, they were light and fluffy. It feels like they had been re-fried. The steamed beef dumpling is very ordinary, the wrapping is very heavy too. I find it there is no vegetable dishes on the menu is weir, I have to ask the waitress, and she said the only vegetables they serve is poached Chinese cabbage. Having said all the above, it is a real cheap eat, all those comes to $26. I don't think I have been to a cheaper Chinese restaurant than this. On the other hand, I cannot see myself driving 40 minutes to go there from down town DC. If the food were better I would have no problem. It is very ordinary, nothing that wows me. May be I am comparing it to the quality in Hong Kong, New York, London, Beijing or Shanghai. It is ok once in a while when I am desperate for a Chinese food fix, since the Chinese food is so crap in down town DC. What surprise me was there were all these awards from the newspaper...etc. I guess the food review was not done by a person who have experienced better Chinese food. So I don't understand what is the fuss about??

• Visited January 2013