“A good Chinese restaurant”
Review of A & J Restaurant

A & J Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 418 Restaurants in Rockville
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I am not a big fan of Chinese food but this restaurant is definitively the best in the area. Know for dumplings. Price are low

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We were a party of five at A & J. They offer a wide range of choices of noodles, dim sum, and soups. Seafood was very limited on the menu. This authentic Chinese food was tasty. It was very busy when we dined here but service did not suffer. A & J was a bit noisy, but tolerable. Ample parking. Give A & J a try, you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank saveroom4dessert
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Used to live in the area, and amongst my Taiwanese friends, this is a rock star. Never disappoints. Went back this weekend and it did not disappoint still! We ordered the Niang Mien, Mustard greens with tofu and edamame, beef noodle soup with fresh cut noodles, scallion pancake, pan fried dumplings. Smoked chicken. It is very reasonable and they are fast! If I lived in the area, I would always order extra so I could take home another meal for another day! it's usually crowded so we arrived on Saturday around 11. i wish i could have another meal there.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

This was the place where my husband brought me we officially started dating. It's a small decent place with enough tables and chairs to sit. We never had to wait to be seated. The Chinese women were always nice (especially to my husband who has frequented the place even before we met).

We usually order cold spicy noodles, friend wontons, scallion pancakes and smoked chicken. Everything tasted good and tasted the same. My husband loves their bubble tea and they also gave me one on my birthday for free.

NOTE: THEY ONLY ACCEPT CASH! (which was the downside but it didn't stop us from going back)

The price is very reasonable and the food tastes really good. This is one of our go to places. This place is worth trying.

1  Thank Capsgirl19
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This place was written up in a recent magazine very well, and I love dim sum, so we had to try it. It is difficult to find, but that is not the only problem. The pork dumplings were good, not the best we have ever had, as the magazine suggested. There was no sauce for them and they were all stuck together. They were good enough, just not spectacular. The thousand layer pancake is kind of like a very greasy, dense funnel cake without the powdered sugar or cinnamon. The won ton soup was greasy, and very bland and watery tasting. Bland, bland, bland!

The sesame biscuit with beef was rather interesting. It wasn't delicious or exciting but it was one of those little bites that makes you say..."Hmmm..." It's beef on a thin sesame bread and it is seasoned with cinnamon. Very interesting.

We saw awards all over the wall for Washingtonian best bargain restaurant etc, and I read the write up in the recent magazine, and I have to wonder why the people went so bonkers over this place. The food was really bland and greasy. Not great at all.

On a side note, the chairs are filthy and need a good scrubbing.

1  Thank purpose7