“Quench my thirst and my stomach”
Review of Quench

Quench
Ranked #279 of 418 Restaurants in Rockville
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Maryland's Best New Restaurant award winner for 2013 and "Best Cocktails" award winner for 2014 as named by the Maryland Restaurant Association! Quench features artisan cocktails and modern American cuisine using local ingredients when possible, and served in snack, small and full-plate sizes. While eating, drinking and socializing at Quench, our guests experience the comfort of a neighborhood bar, mixed with amazing design elements, an attentive staff and incredible food prepared by our Chef (Ed Hardy, long-time sous Chef for Marcus Samuelsson) and cocktails. We have a dog-friendly patio -- the biggest and best patio in town -- and live music fills our room every Friday and Saturday night.
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I heard of Quench from a friend who lives in the area and decided to meet some friends for happy hour on my way home one day.
At first glance its just a Bar with a few tables and eclectic artwork. My waitress suggested a drink and I was in love. My drink was a mixture of Tequila, honey, ginger ale, jalapeno and beets. We ordered only apps this visit. The mini pretzel bites were good and my friend loved his wings. All in all a good happy hour spot for sure. The music too was right up my alley as eclectic as the artwork and the waitresses.
On my second visit I went with Co-workers for lunch. I found out then they had my favorite beer so I went with that and the vegetarian wrap. It was so good and so big. They also have Chicken and Waffles which look very good as well. Service was slow but it was quite busy due to the holidays and they do not serve lunch everyday so there was only one waitress on duty. Worked for me though this place should not be passed up very often.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

It has taken us three tries to use our Groupon coupon at Quench. Going on a Friday night around 7:30 or 8:00 pm, it is an 1.5 hour wait in a small, jam packed restaurant/bar and a deafening loud room. It was so loud, my husband has been reluctant to go back. We tried again on a Saturday at 6:30 pm and got the only table that was not reserved already. The reserved tables filled before 7 pm and noise level was good, since the bar was not packed.

Environment
10 tables only. Bar and two couch seating areas with one higher table with stools. Plastic and metal chairs at the table was uncomfortable with side metal bars digging into my hips. Concrete floor. Fun animal paintings on the walls. Although there is an entry room, the cold air from outside does come in the restaurant in the winter.

Drinks: Interesting cocktails in the $12+ range. Got "Sex in the Burbs" which has vanilla vodka, cranberry and a grape foam - a little like a grown up sweet tart. Nice.
18 beers listed on the board. Wine by the glass in the $9-$12 range. Bottles $35+.

Food: 3 page menu on a clip board. First page with appetizers and small plates. The edamame hummus could be shared by 4. It came with cucumber spears and toasted bread. It was nice, not a lot of flavor, but nice and healthy. The fries were a big plate of boardwalk like fries with ketchup and a malt vinegar aioli. Very good!
I got the 3 duck tacos which did have spice (chipotle). They were small, more of an appetizer size but good. My husband got the salmon which came with a big helping of redskin mashed potatoes and asparagus. It was fine. There were also sandwiches and salads (one looked huge).

The apple donut (more of a fried, flattened dough with ice cream) for desert was big enough for two and very worthwhile! It had a few apple slices with caramel drizzled over them too.

Two drinks, two appetizers, two entrees,and one desert came to $84.

Service: When we have come before, it has been difficult to shout at someone to ask how long the wait is. Tonight, we were seated quickly and our waitress was friendly, efficient, and gave nice recommendations. Plates were cleared quickly.

Overall, the food was in the good to very good range with some new flavors - something different. It would be nice to go back and try something else as well but with the difficulty to get a table and having to plan ahead, it won't be for a while. Previously, I have also tried to call for a reservation or to see how long the wait is and no one answers or maybe there is one table open or it is a 1.5 hour wait. They are not on OpenTable. I am giving the restaurant a low score for romance, since it can be really loud when we have gone before and with the seats being uncomfortable. Tonight, the noise factor was fine since the bar was not crowded.
For lunch, it may be a fine place to celebrate something, but I don't think I would have a special occasion for dinner since you wouldn't know if it was going to be a crowded night and hard to hear.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Had lunch there and the food and service we OK but not significantly better than many lower rated restaurants. Since I had work to do in the afternoon I was not drinking form the long drink list. I this is the best Rockville can do then I'll continue to eat elsewhere.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Had lunch in a group of 5 on a Tuesday in mid-Dec. Walked in at opening at 11:30; each person ordered something different. Each dish was fine & tasty. The room was very cool from the start, somewhat uncomfortable even with a vest or sweater or jacket. Music sound level was higher than comfortable for conversation but was lowered twice upon request. For more than an hour we were the only patrons. Upon finishing around 1pm the temp was a little higher but maybe only because the air circulation seemed to be off - not a warm & cozy lunch place that day.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We ate here on a Friday night around 7. We had a reservation, and our table was waiting when we arrived. Having lived in Baltimore for several years, this restaurant reminded me a lot of the restaurants in Hampden - small/modern/eclectic. The service was fine, nothing extraordinary. The food was a bit above average. We shared the pretzel snack, which was quite good. I had the macaroni and cheese and added chicken, which turned out to be a deep fried chicken breast on top of the pasta. Now I love fried chicken, but it wasn't what I was expecting. Still, the entree was tasty, large, and very filling. My husband had the grilled cheese, also very good. It is a little expensive, but not outrageous. Overall, a fairly average experience. We'll probably be back.