“Great food, unfortunate ambience”
Review of Trapezaria

Trapezaria
Ranked #12 of 408 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Saugerties, New York
“Great food, unfortunate ambience”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I went with friends on a Sunday evening (July 13, 2014). We did not have a reservation, but were seated immediately at a table for four. From the beginning we noticed two unpleasant factors in the setting. First, the noise level was extremely high, making it almost impossible to hear what the people across the table were saying, so it was impossible to have an easy conversation that involved all four of us. This was due to the large number of guests in the space, of course, which is what one would want, but not the unfortunate side effect.

The other highly unpleasant element was the gale-force wind from the circular a/c vent above the table. There are several of these around the room, each putting out a similar blast of air. The owner assured us that the system would shut down shortly, but that never happened. Obviously the circulating fans could not be adjusted, or the owner chose not to do so.

Both of these conditions significantly reduced our enjoyment of the meal, which would have been at the top of the scale otherwise. The food was amazingly good--the best Greek food I have ever eaten. My wife and our friends agreed. It's a shame that poor space planning (or execution) reduced our pleasure so significantly.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank johnbassler

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
“Excellent Greek Food in Rockville!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Ate here with friends last week and experienced none of the problems other reviewers noted. Service was fine, prices fair, and the food was absolutely delicious. We had Greek salad (the real version, with no lettuce), dolmades (warm and tasty), baked lamb shank with vegetables, grilled rockfish ( a nice big one), lamb with orzo, and galaktobeuroko. And it was all perfectly prepared! Small but good wine list, too.

About the only things I can think to complain about are that the modern tech decor seemed a little sterile to me,and that they need a blind of some sort to keep early evening sun out of the faces of the diners.

I love Greek food, and loved this place. I'd eat here often, if I lived in this area.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank RNshaw
Rockville, Maryland
“Great Meal”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I went to this restaurant on a Friday evening, in early celebration of Father's Day. It was our first visit. My husband had suggested this restaurant, as he had seen a glowing review in the Washington Post. The restaurant is beautiful inside and out. We were greeted cheerfully by the waitstaff. Even now, days later, I still remember our waitress Olga, who was helpful, courteous and pleasant. She discussed some of the entrees with my husband and suggested dishes for us to try. She surprised us with a sampler -- on the house! -- of three dips and pita bread. The pita was delicious, soft and full of flavor. Of the three dips, we enjoyed the roasted eggplant puree and the very good olive oil with spices. The hummus was bland, but that was the only disappointment in an otherwise excellent dinner. For his entree, my husband ordered two appetizers: the house specialty, iman baldi (baked eggplant topped with caramelized onions, tomato, mint, parsley, raisins and pine nuts), and the spanakopita (phyllo dough triangles filled with spinach, feta cheese, leeks, scallions and herbs). I had a whole rockfish with a side dish of grilled vegetables. Our food was delicious! The rockfish was cooked to perfection; I have never had better. My husband enjoyed his two filling entrees and pronounced them "wonderful." We are looking forward to our next visit to this restaurant, and we won't come alone; we'll bring some friends with us to enjoy it.

1 Thank SECh694
Rockville, Maryland
“So So”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

So here for the first time after a movie with friends. We made reservations and indicated that one of us would be using a motorized scooter. So, no one advised us that there were ten steps up to the main entrance, but that we could get in through the side. So when they saw us trying to get through the outdoor tables and in through the side door, not one of the staff bothered to help. So after a loud discussion a parking space for the scooter and a table was found for us.

So the menu is divided into tapas and entrees. One of us decided to have several tapas for dinner and informed our waitress that this was his plan, while the rest of us opted for entrees. So, the wait staff did not advise the tapas eater that he had ordered enough food for two really hungry diners and proceeded to bring his food long before the rest of us were served. One of us asked to substitute potatoes for salad. And one of us ordered grilled dorado although the waitress was really unable to distinguish between the 3 grilled fish dishes on offer.

So while the service was lackluster, the food was excellent. The taps included lamb chops, dalmades (stuffed grape leaves) , a trio of dips and halloumi (grilled goat cheese). The chops arrived medium rare rather than the rare ordered, but the 4 frenched chops were juicy and tasty. The dips were large ice cream scoop sized and were a bit bland. The dalmades was fine, and the cheese was served on top of pita and chopped tomatoes.

The lamb in a clay dish with orzo was served in a casserole, but not the clay pot described. The grilled dorado was crispy and a bit dry with a heavy caking of salt. The outstanding dish was the grilled octopus with olive oil and orgenano (also available as mezze) which was tender and perfectly cooked. BTW, the salad arrived as requested, but the potatoes were still served.

So the restaurant was packed as we were leaving. But this did not excuse the children climbing on the scooter, or the lack of assistance getting in or out of the restaurant. We would give this place another whirl and would hope for a more thoughtful greeting and wait staff.

1 Thank mrsphud
Silver Spring, Maryland
“The Worst of GreeK Food, in Rockville”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Trapezaria was just reviewed by Tom Sietsema, of the Washington Post. Unfortunately, critics get different food and service, than do patrons. Bad greeting. Slow seating. Inattentive service. Good soup. I ordered lamb skewers, and she asked how I wanted it cook. I should have said, "elsewhere", but I said rare to medium rare. It came out as road kill, obviously cooked earlier and reheated. I was then told it couldn't be cooked as I requested. Then why ask? Manager was wandering around, accomplishing nothing. Average age of patrons - deceased.

This is a very poorly run restaurant, with the double whammy of bad food and worse service.

Avoid at all costs