“Standard Marriott Courtyard”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Rockville
S Wales
“Standard Marriott Courtyard”
Reviewed 5 February 2008

Standard Courtyard experience. All the stuff a business traveller wants. Good clean rooms with working internet!

The location is a bit isolated although there is an Italian restaurant across the road and various shopping areas in 10 & 20 minutes walking respectively. Obviously by car they are minutes away.

The gym is split into two small rooms. One with a couple of joggers and some free weights and the other a cross trainer and a couple of steppers. The kit appears decent and the x-trainer was fine but more than one person in the room will feel crowded.

Felt the rate was a bit toppy but I guess that is the going rate for the area and its the way it is. I chose the hotel based on the best rate for the location.

I won't be rushing back but, that said, if I had to stay there again I wouldn't be upset.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 May 2007

The hotel is a good value. The room size and bed comfort is decent. The location is excellent for our needs. We have had trouble with the TV quality when ordering pay per view movies and the selection is not that great. The front desk staff is friendly but there seem to be consistent computer problems each time we stay. The pool is a plus. The breakfast is fair to good but there is supposd to be an option for ordering cooked items other than the buffet, but the servers assumed we only wanted the buffet. Would stay there again though

• Liked — pool
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank drmarkinCA
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 4 June 2006

I just returned from my second stay at this hotel and probably won't be back. The hotel just doesn't offer the amenities that my husband and I could benefit from (free breakfast, upgraded rooms for Marriott Silver members), small room size and high noise level.

The hotel is situated off Shady Grove Rd. and is very close proximity to many restaurants and shopping areas. We love the Rio at Washingtonian Center which is a very short drive from the hotel. You are also very close to the Shady Grove Metro station. The location is excellent, however the rooms... not so much.

We stayed on a higher floor (some wings have two floors, some three, third floor is smoking). The last stay at this hotel was over Thanksgiving and we were only one of a few couples spread out in the hotel. We enjoyed that stay as it was quiet and felt the hotel met our basic needs. This stay we were unfortunate to be stuck between a large family on our floor. They were slamming doors and making a lot of noise during the stay. We didn't notice how thin the walls actually were until this stay as we must not have had anyone next to us before. The TV almost blares into your room and you can hear talking from the room next door. The continous AC does a good job at buffering the noise, but nothing could stop the slamming doors. The free high-speed internet is great and water pressure and temperature was fine.

I would recommend this hotel for business travelers, as I'm sure there aren't as many families there during the week. But for those traveling, visiting family or sightseeing and who want a quiet stay and maybe even free breakfast, it would not be recommended. I also would not recommend this hotel to anyone with back problems as Courtyard just can't seem to get decent beds, are very soft. If you are looking for something basic, low frills but clean, it is fine.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank RedHeadGo
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 October 2005

I stayed at the Courtyard Rockville on business. There were a few hotels to choose from, but this had the best price and location. The room was extremely nice and the bed was comfortable. Also, the breakfast buffet was so so delicious!!! (they have make your own belgian waffles and an omelet station!) I did have a couple of problem there, but not with the quality. The public printer was out of service, so I spoke with the manager and he was more than happy to print out the items for me (his name is Albert Montone, really nice guy) and also the heat was acting a little funny, but they sent an engineer up there to fix it. The parking lot is big and they have entrance doors all around the hotel, so as long as you have your pass key, you can get in the hotel without walking back to the main entrance. Very safe hotel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank Rayne05us
Cape Coral, FL
Reviewed 21 July 2005

After travelling through Virginia and staying at various hotels - most of which were nightmarish experiences, we checked into the Courtyard in Rockville. It was overall just wonderful. We called ahead for directions to the hotel, since we had no idea how to get there. The front desk person gave absolutely perfect directions - rare, in our experience. After packing into double beds with rock hard "cement pillows" or occassionally a king with an uncomfortable pullout for our teenage son to sleep on, we were very pleased with 2 queen beds with firm mattresses and the most wonderful "down-like" pillows - they gave us 7 pillows! The room was clean and spacious with plenty of room for our luggage. The room was very quiet and conveniently located with a slider and walk out balcony. The bathroom was much larger than any we had stayed in throughout our trip. They also had a comfortable armchair that my husband sat in to watch TV at night, since his back bothers him if he sits in bed - he was very happy with the comfort of the chair.

We asked the front desk for directions to the Metro parking (about a mile down the road) and also to a golf shop and each time, they provided us with a street map and they drew the route in highlighter. Directions were always perfect.

This Courtyard Marriott sold us - we were very happy and will most definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank Brynn728
Middletown, DE
Reviewed 9 July 2005

We recently stayed at the Courtyard Rockville over a weekend. The hotel is located off of Shady Grove Road next to I-270 and a short 5 minute ride from the Shady Grove Metro Station. I chose this hotel due to the great rate ($51 an night) I was able to secure on the Marriott website. Upon arrival the front desk clerk was clueless as to how to check me in. After about 15 minutes I was given the keys to a king room on the first floor. The room was quite small and sparsely decorated. Avoid first floor rooms if possible as they are quite loud. The beds here are quite uncomfortable and the bathrooms are not very well furnished as they lack common amenities such as exhaust fans. There are better options in the Rockville/Bethesda/Gaithersburg area.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank winstoda
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 3 May 2005

This Courtyard meets and exceeds the usual high standards for the chain. It is in an office park that was empty during my weekend stay so it was super-quiet.

• Stayed May 2005