“I tried...”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Rockville
NYC
“I tried...”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I'm pretty savvy and reasonable as far as accepting what I pay for, but this stay has inspired me to warn others, like me, that this is not a place you'll be happy or even able to compromise with. And do not think this is in DC, it is off of the Shady Grove stop, 30 min away by Metro, and about an hour or more driving. The Good (because I don't want to just complain) It's cheap, $45/night through priceline, about a mile from Shady Grove Metro stop, and the staff did accommodate me when I asked to be moved.... but it was still an awful room. The Bad: This should NOT be a 2 star hotel; 1 and a half stars is generous. A Red Roof Inn manager should strip them of the corporate name because they have let this place go to crap without standards. I second everything 'His Princess' mentioned and wish I saw the review before I booked on Oct 6, 2011, the date the review was written. I am a business traveler who relies on internet, and cell phone/data service, both of which were non-existent in my room(s), along with no iron, no hair dryer, a broken remote control, and 1 towel. I'm actually writing this from Burger King across the street now, where I'm ingesting fast food like crazy just to get some emails done. There was serious water damage: mold/mildew made me sick, switched rooms and it was the same story. I checked in and housekeeping was still cleaning.... I sat there and watched her NOT change the sheets from the previous guest, and come to think of it did not see any carts with sheets at all. And the 1 towel I got had a huge wad of someones hair still in it. If that isn't enough of a put off, the area was crawling with prostitutes so... yeah. In the end I was locked in because I went through Priceline (who will be getting my two cents shortly). I ended up buying sheets, an iron, a hair dryer, and a towel for my stay, eventually like 'Marlene' mentioned costing me what I would have paid for a better option in the area. To the Ladies: As a single female traveler, I was afraid to leave my room and walk to the car. This is coming from someone who is not paranoid and has lived in some pretty sketchy places before without a problem. There was no lighting in the parking lot, along with lurking contractors, prostitutes who came out at night, and no cell phone service to call for help should there be a problem.

Room Tip: Do Not Book through Priceline!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank gambitos
RedRoofInnRockville, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Dear Guest...We do apologize for all of you concerns. In order to better address them, we would appreciate a phone call. Please call us at 301-987-0965-at your earliest convenience. Thank you so much for your feedback! Shirley and Claudia.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Euclid
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I was in the area for business and had a great experience with the staff. The room was clean and the staff gave great suggestions on places to eat and things to see. The rate was great considering how expensive hotels are the Washington, D.C. area. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Hyattsville, Maryland
Reviewed 21 September 2011

The room was clean and Miguel Diaz was very helpful to me .

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Princeton, West Virginia
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed recently and was really impressed with the level of customer service and quality I recieved. I had been traveling for hours and traffic was horrible, I was so tired and cranky and ready for some relaxation. After arriving at the hotel, I walked into the lobby and was pleasantly greeted by the representative that was there. I was checked in very quickly and needed some information on food delivery and some directions for my meeting the next morning. The representative recommended a food delivery service and gave me a menu, also gave me very detailed directions and did everything with a smile. I got to my room and was so happy to see I had a nice, clean and cozy room waiting for me. I have been to many other places that were so unacceptable that it was wonderful to not have to call the front desk and complain or have my room changed. The food recommended was good and I got a good nights rest. The next morning I recieved the same EXCELLENT customer service experience as I did the night before and got a great cup of coffee to top it off. It's hard to find good customer service these days or a nice clean room at an affordable price. This Red Roof Inn has my business for now on. I would recommend this hotel to family, friends or anyone looking for a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed here for a week and i really needed a microwave in my room but they were rude to me and told me I couldn't get a room with a microwave because i booked the room through priceline and told me to call priceline directly to get the room type changed. I called priceline and told them that I needed a room with a microwave, priceline tried contacting the hotel for me and talked to a girl named kelly(same girl I talked to) who told them that she couldn't do it because I booked the room through them. What was the point of telling me to contact Priceline?

Room is pretty bad as well. During my stay here, the toilet broke 2 times, 2 of the lights didn't work., and there were bugs and spiders in the room! Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank harsh0705
RedRoofInnRockville, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
We are Sorry to hear about your stay last week. We appreciate your feedback-In order to better serve you during this stay,we are sending a member of our maintenance team to your room. He will take care of any issues you may have .Please let us know ( by calling the front desk) if you have other concerns during your stay.Accept our apology and we hope this stay will be a positive one.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I booked a room there through Priceline and they insisted on giving me a room with no fridge or microwave with double beds. They ridiculously would not let me upgrade my room (I was willing to pay whatever it was) and told me thats what I get for buying a "cheap room" Guess what, brainiacs- if you didnt sell rooms through Priceline- your hotel would be half empty and ALL of you would be out of a job !!!

Room Tip: Rooms starting with a 1 or 2 are closer but if you have big bags- there is NO elevator !
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
RedRoofInnRockville, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Mr.Mclaurin sorry for the confusion. You are correct-without guests we would not have jobs! Priceline is very strict with their policy of not changing a reservation. I actually spoke with them (in your presense) attempting to get them to change it for you. Compare prices-most times if you call the property they may be willing to give you the priceline rate-with a lot less red-tape. Thanks for your comments-we really do appreciate all feed-back.
Shirley Jordan G.M
Binghamton
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I've stayed at this inn three times now and have been pleased with the location (easy to reach multiple destinations around Washington, D.C.), the well-kept property, the quietness, and the proximity to a number of shops and eating places, without it being in the middle of a large retail hub.

The staff is very pleasant and seems to truly care about the visitors. The room lighting is a bit dim and there's not a lot of desk space, but that wasn't essential to me. Everything was clean.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo