“2012 Late Summer Vacation”

The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events
Ranked #1 of 1 Royal Oak B&B and Inns
Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania, United States
“2012 Late Summer Vacation”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We took advantage of the midweek savings package for 3 nights but upgraded to be in the cottage rather than a regular room. All was nice and clean. Spare fold-out sofa bed worked fine for our 16 yr old son. Service was friendly. Breakfasts were fresh and very tasty. We enjoyed the complimentary refreshments offered to us. Loved using the free canoes to tool around the river inlet. Crabbing off the dock was fun with the family. Didnt keep any, was just for fun. Since it was midweek, there were few guests, which helped us decompress nicely in our solitude a short drive away from the touristy parts of St Michaels. Being midweek, a few antique places and artisan shops nearby were not open, but plenty of others were open. The only minor CON was that the minifridge freezer area was frosted over and unusable, but still kept food/drinks cold. Local crabbing restaurants in St Michaels, Tilghman, Oxford seemed to be understafffed with questionable waiter/waitress service, but maybe the places lost their college students going back to college for new year. Overall experience was great.

Room Tip: Cottage was nice, but when booking the stay, we did think it would be farther away from the main bui...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Manassas, VA
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband and I spent two nights mid-week here for a getaway to celebrate our 25th anniversary. This is a quaint inn with a lot of interesting history. The service was fabulous. We were greeted by name and were made to feel at home. There was another extended family (about 4 generations) that was also staying here at the time and we hardly ever heard anybody else when we were in our room. The other family was a lot of fun to see around the place too.

This is a great place to go as long as you don't expect much from the breakfast. The fresh fruit and croissants were fabulous. The coffee mediocre and the main entrees were ... meh. This Inn would benefit from a breakfast chef who can do more with an omelet than add cheese to eggs and made pancake batter from scratch. In an area abundant with fresh produce in August, it seemed odd to me that more of it isn't featured in their menu. I noticed several bakeries in the area and not using bakery bread for the french toast is a mistake.

In any case, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would come back for another visit. The rooms are spacious, clean and wonderfully comfortable. Everything (in fact) is top notch ... except for the lackluster breakfast. I hope they find a creative breakfast chef, because that would put this Inn in the big leagues :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Threadbare561
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Our son got married here. All the families stayed in the 14 rooms while most of the bridal party stayed in St Michael's. The rooms are comfortable and many are super sized. The reception was the hit as the food was spectacular. Due to rain right before the ceremony, we had to move to the covered dock which was ok, but the area usually used for weddings on the water would have been awesome. Overall, it was a great venue, with great food, great views and an experience that won't be forgotten.

Room Tip: Room 27 is huge and has a great view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Virginia
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Four of us (two couples) just returned from a mid-week getaway at The Oaks and had a wonderful time. I was a bit apprehensive about booking because of some of the negative reviews but found everything to be just fine. Our room was clean and spacious and the bathroom, I believe, recently remodeled. Breakfast each morning was first rate with no rush whatsoever - even when it was just the four of us. We loved the living room space which we used in the morning and evening. The complimentary wine and soda is a lovely touch. Because it was so hot and humid our entire stay, we limited some of the activities which are offered there. My husband is an early riser (4:30 - 5:00 am) and took advantage of the bikes and also the canoes. I only took advantage of the pool. Only negative comment is that the pool is only open 10:00 am to 5:00 pm which cuts into sightseeing time. Would be great to be open say 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. The Oaks is a great home base for seeing the eastern shore and we hope to be back soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We just came home from having our daughters wedding at The Oaks. This is the 1st review I have ever taken the time to write. The experience that we had at The Oaks was first class. Tracey is a gem. At every important moment she was there to make sure everything went smoothly. The ceremony was outside, the temp was expected to be 110 history making degrees, at the rehersal the day before she was watching where the shade from the trees landed to ensure the seats were placed in the shade. Thats just one example of the details that were paid attention to during our stay. I saw a review about the rooms, I can only tell you are experience was great. I never heard one bad word from our guests. Lastly, the food at The Oaks is not your normal commissary wedding food. Many guests commented about how good the food was and that they had cleared their plates, when was the last time you heard that at a wedding. We can without hesitation recommend The Oaks for a simple stay at St. Michels or a full fledged wedding.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back facing the water are worth the view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Alan P
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We had friends who had a wedding here and it was great. The wedding went off without a hitch and it was very clear that the planner(s) had paid super close attention to detail. Easily a beautiful and responsible place to have a wedding with a fantastic staff. However sleeping there was a bit of an adventure. There was what appeared to be an old blood stain on the sheets when we got there, water was hot and cold, grout in the showers needed some obvious tending to, bathroom vanity was slightly water damaged from time, the walls were paper thin, there were some obvious gaps in the door that caused some light into the room and it wasn't comforting nor welcoming to see hotel staff hanging out outside our room every day. I almost could bear listening to a bridesmaid and her date "seeing God" in the next room more than I could feeling like staff used the hall outside to loiter and make personal calls with their cleaning supplies out. They have breakfast every morning but we were both too jet lagged and tired to get up at 8am to go get any but I heard it was quite tasty.

As far as planning a wedding here, I'd recommend it hands down, the management staff were delightful, more than happy to help and I'm sure a fantastic nerve calmer for any anxious bride. However as far as sleeping there, if you're a light sleeper, expect hotel standards, and don't care much knowing the personal lives of the neighboring rooms you might want to stay at a hotel.

Room Tip: Not for the light sleepers but great for a wedding!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kristen R
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I was a part of a wedding and stayed at The Oaks in October, 2011. Upon check in I noticed that the room was old and somewhat dirty (we wore flip slops when we showered) - however so as not to cause problems or a headache for the bride I did not mention my concerns.

Over a month AFTER our stay a charge showed up on my credit card. Upon inquiry Tracey George, the general manager, accused me of throwing up in the room and billed me for cleaning the carpet. She claimed this was discovered immediately after we checked out, yet no one other than staff seems to have seen this mess... I am sure she assumed that we had been drinking during the wedding and so she could get away with accusing me of throwing up from being drunk. However at the time of the wedding I was 8 months PREGNANT and my fiance and I were likely the only sober ones in the entire hotel. We did not throw up, spill or disrupt the room in any way.

The rooms were old and in need of repair prior to our stay. It seems to me that they came up with a fictional excuse to charge me for a cleaning the room needed anyway and they waited over a month to run the charge in hopes that I would not notice.

Check your credit card statements carefully. I am certain this is not the first time a stunt like this was pulled.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank Megan D
OaksManager, General Manager at The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
I would like to thank this guest for writing a review about her experience at The Oaks. It gives us the opportunity to ensure to everyone how important guest feedback is to us. As well, we are able to express how extensive our procedures are to ensure that no one is erroneously charged for things that are not their responsibility. The Oaks is fortunate to host over 40 wedding events each year. With that level of turnover, we have very thorough and detailed steps in place for every guest room prior to any guest checking in and immediately following every guest departure. As well, mid-week an additional inspection is completed on every room. These inspections ensure that any circumstance where something may be amiss with a room that has checked out is discovered prior to the next guest arrival. Every guest, upon check in does sign a credit card authorization waiver allowing the Inn to charge their credit card for any damages to the guest room or to the Inn which may be discovered after departure. The Oaks most definitely does not practice fraud on any level to any guest.
The Oaks has a fascinating history beginning in the late 1600's with an original land grant by Lord Baltimore. Much of The Oaks has been preserved even though several renovations have taken place over the last 300 years. True, The Oaks is not a sleek, contemporary hotel but rather an elegant country inn with nicely appointed guest rooms and completely renovated and updated bathrooms.
The charm of the Inn is a significant factor in why so many brides select The Oaks as their dream wedding venue. Every employee of the Oaks from manangement, housekeeping, grounds keepers, servers and kitchen staff strive to ensure that we not only meet but exceed the brides expectations and those of her guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Royal Oak
#1 of 1 in Oxford
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Wades Point Inn on the Bay
Knapp's Narrows Marina & Inn

Been to The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events? Share your experiences!