“The tasting”

The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events
Ranked #1 of 1 Royal Oak B&B and Inns
“The tasting”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We were hosted to a tasting and an overnight stay for our daughters upcoming wedding. The food was excellent! We will have a difficult time deciding on apps, they were all delicious. The crab cakes were the best I have tasted. The staff was attentive, knowledgable and they made us feel welcome and special. We are so excited for the wedding and know that we have chosen the perfect place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I were married at The Oaks at the end of October, and I must say, it completely exceeded my expectations as a bride. My wedding day, weekend rather, was absolutely perfect. I can't tell you how many former brides and grooms gave me the pre-wedding advice of "enjoy your day, it will go by so fast." They would also share stories of how they nearly passed out from not getting to eat, or missing cocktail because of pictures, or not even getting to see key details.

About a month before the wedding, I panicked thinking this would happen to me, as every acquaintance and wedding blogger seemed to experience this same phenomenon. My wedding couldn't be farther from that; with Tracey and her staff's help, my husband and I enjoyed AND experienced every moment of our wedding weekend. It was absolutely incredible.

Husband and I wanted to have a venue where we could relax for the weekend, and invite friends for a "destination" wedding that was worth the trip. The Oaks provided just that. We started the weekend Friday evening with an easy rehearsal (thanks to Tracey's efficient way of wrangling all of our wedding party and huge family) followed by a fantastic rehearsal dinner of crabs (and the most amazing strawberry shortcake I have ever tasted!). Due to the weather, we held the rehearsal inside which was great- it provided a cozy atmosphere, and we still could watch the sunset as we ate!

The Oaks provided breakfast for guests the morning of the wedding- everyone commented on how calm I was as a bride. I didn't have anything to worry about, as all my decorations were being set-up by The Oaks team, exactly as I had described. So I enjoyed my last breakfast as a single woman (according to my dad, best pancakes he has ever had).

Our wedding went smoothly- Tracey helped to coordinate multiple vendors (and even made a surprise a cappella group work out for our wedding exit!) and made sure my husband and I were where we needed to be without causing any stress. All of my bridesmaids commented on how calm the getting ready part of the day was (and how delicious our bridal cottage lunch was- best chocolate chip cookies ever!). I was also able to have my pups come for some photos! Our ceremony was so personal, officiated by Rev. Bill Cochran. We even had a geese fly-over during our vows which made for a funny pause for all guests!

After the ceremony, our bridal party used the beautiful setting of The Oaks for what turned out to be AMAZING photos by Gillette Portrait Arts. We used the barns and dock for a rustic feel- the colors of the trees on the property really made the portraits pop. We also used flowers and lighting by seasonal flowers- Seasonal's decorations made the pictures absolutely breathtaking!

Despite what the wedding magazines say, the husband and I did make it to at least a few minutes of our cocktail hour (as it was chilly, Tracey arranged for portable heaters to be placed on the lawn to keep our guests warm). We decided to incorporate the raw bar on the dock, which was a huge hit with everyone (October is oyster season, so it was perfect!). Despite not making it to the entire cocktail hour, we were still able to enjoy the spread as there was an Oaks staff member assigned to my groom and I to provide is with all the delicious food! The staff member was so nice that she even brought us crab dip to our sweetheart table once we got inside!

Our reception was perfect- we chose to incorporate some package upgrades which were definitely worth it. We extended the reception for an additional hour, used the uplighting option, and had the pastry table. All I can say is wow- no one wanted to stop dancing (myself included- our band Onyx from Washington Talent Agency was awesome), the lighting popped all of my decor, and the pastries were to die for. The chef was so kind to even substitute my favorite- pumpkin cheesecake! I have never heard so many compliments about wedding food. Our guests are still talking about how great the steak and crabcake were. My brother actually went around to tables with unfinished plates to steal steak from other guests!

Tracey also made sure my main requests of the evening were met- that I got to eat every course, and taste every flavor of cake (Julie Bakes is amazing!). I did just that:) And after dancing, I had every flavor of cake waiting at my sweetheart table!

Although the husband and I were sad for the evening to be over, we had a romantic transition into a sparkler departure to a local pub (Carpenter Street Saloon) via shuttle busses (Blackwater Paddle). The reception didn't feel like it ended, we just brought the party somewhere else! The shuttle drivers were excellent- they brought our guests to three different hotels, and to the Saloon. When my husband and I returned to the bridal cottage, we had a lovely plate of appetizers and pastries waiting to quench our midnight hunger from all the dancing!

The next morning, we hosted a breakfast for family and close friends- again the food was amazing- french toast is a favorite for me, and it was the best I've had. I was worried that we wouldn't have enough time to eat and talk with friends before having to leave (as another wedding was coming in) however, we had plenty of time; The Oaks Staff helped us to pack up which saved my husband and I time to say our thank-yous and goodbyes.

Friends and family are still talking about our wedding, and how it was the best wedding they have ever been to. Of course I am biased and think that, but hearing it from over 100 people- I'm definitely right:)

Everyone had a blast- husband and I couldn't have had a better wedding day! We got to eat, dance, and talk with our friends and family. Yes the day went by fast, but we got to experience every moment, not just go through the motions. Thank you Tracey and Oaks staff!

1 Thank Rachel K
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed at The Oaks for a family wedding and everything was perfect!! We traveled with our 3 young children (which can be very difficult) and the staff was really terrific!!! They made everything simple - including a speedy check in and check out. They were accepting and tolerant of the young ones! The kids were free to explore the house and had fun navigating the different hallways and entrances. They especially loved the GIANT jetted tub and were actually willing and happy to get clean!! :) The food was delicious, the views were spectacular. I hope to be able to return in the future.

1 Thank GMA698
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were staying at the Oaks for our son and new daughter in laws wedding. It was the most fantastic weekend ever from the rehearsal, wedding and includiing Sunday breakfast. The room was comfortable with great views of the water. The venue was a perfect place for a wedding. Tracy and all of the staff were friendly, courteous, helpful and paid attention to all of the details. The food was outstanding. The appetizers, crabs, crab cake,steak, and desserts were all delicious. I would be thrilled to be able to return someday! It was wonderful.

Room Tip: Water view has beautiful sunrises.
Forest Hills, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our family and friends traveled from out of state to attend our son's wedding. I was impressed not only with the view, but with the event planner and staff. They were on top of everything and we did not have to ask or wait for anything. Our son and new daughter -in-law stayed in the cottage, which worked perfectly. Can't wait to come back. Thank you Tracey and your staff for making this event one of the most fantastic weekend ever.

1 Thank Rob K
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I recently attended a wedding at the Oaks Inn. While the venue from the outside presents a gorgeous view, the inside will spoil your taste immediately with the first encounter with the staff. It seemed that collecting money instead of providing service meant more to the management of this establishment than providing service to those paying. With that said that was the entire experience was the same all weekend. Overall TERRIBLE experience.

• Stayed October 2013
8 Thank OtisB69
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I recently stayed two nights for a family wedding with my 86 year old mother. Everything outside was lovely: the view of the river, the trees, garden, and dock. Unfortunately, everything inside was well below par and downright dangerous: the rooms were in need of remodeling with no grab rails or non-slip mats in either the bathtub or walk-in shower. Indeed, there were stairs that did not have railings at all. Fine, if you are young and able-bodied. Very, very dangerous if you are either elderly or even slightly disabled. In addition, the staff were rude and unhelpful. My husband tried to ring us over the weekend from Ireland and was told he could not be put through to any of our rooms and when he asked for a room phone number, he was told they couldn't find it. All this for $325! Not good value, nor safe.

4 Thank Elizabeth S
#1 of 1 in Oxford
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Wades Point Inn on the Bay
Knapp's Narrows Marina & Inn

Been to The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events? Share your experiences!