“Nicely done”

Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience how people live, work and play on the Chesapeake Bay - cruise on the Miles River,get your hands wet exploring a waterman's shanty, let our boat builders show you their magic, or climb to the top of an 1879 lighthouse. Come do the Bay, your way.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My husband and I visited this museum today. We enjoyed that it is a mixture between "indoor" and "outdoor" attractions. Especially cool is the big lighthouse. Also very interesting are the exhibitions on the oyster and crab culture of the Chesapeake region.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

An excellent representation of life on the Chesapeake.... I learned heaps and enjoyed being able to touch some of the objects, ring the bells..... Set in wonderful grounds... A step up into the lighthouse is a must.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Four of us went to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum (and Hooper Strait Lighthouse) after their "season" had closed. It was a glorious sunny day, just a tad chilly. Make sure to wear a jacket, gloves if you go; most of the buildings are not heated. Volunteers and employees were most helpful and wanted to share their knowledge of all the activity. If you're an NCIS fan, they're rebuilding a skipjack with hand tools, just like Gibbs! An excellent display of the War of 1812. Do you know how the locals fooled the British? Go and find out! :) View from the lighthouse is gorgeous. Gift shop, spectacular! You won't get out of there without buying an armful!! Great Christmas gifts! We will definitely go back!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Visited the CBMM while attending a three day wedding party.
The reviews somehow had me expecting more than I actually found.
The museum is nicely situated, on the waterfront, which is always nice.
There are lots of separate buildings that explain and show various artifacts relating to maritime life and history of oyster harvesting and more.
However, after roaming through each and every building, I somehow felt that there was less to see and learn than I expected.
I visited the CBMM again during the Oysterfest a couple of days later and with all the oysters I ate and the beer I drank, my impression improved somewhat.....
It is still one of the more interesting tourism options in St. Michaels.....

CBMM_Munson, Guest Relations Manager at Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for your recent visit and TripAdvisor review of the Museum. We never want any visitor to walk away disappointed, even in the slightest bit. We'd like to know from you what would have made it a more engaging and rewarding experience for you and hope you might contact us with your response by emailing VP of Communications Tracey Munson at tmunson@cbmm.org. In the meantime, we are delighted you enjoyed our OysterFest celebration and hope you were there to witness the historic relaunch of the skipjack ROSIE PARKS, after a two and a half year restoration. We also have programming throughout the year, geared at bringing people closer to the Chesapeake Bay. Thanks again for your comments and review. We hope you will reach out to us with your suggestions on how we could have made this a more satisfying experience for you. Thanks again.

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We visited the museum during oysterfest which we enjoyed. We enjoyed touring the museum but also enjoyed the oysters. My husband had raw, fried and grilled oysters as well as the oyster stew which he enjoyed. P