“Love the Inn”

Ranked #1 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Love the Inn”
Reviewed 27 October 2008

My friend and I have traveled to St. Michaels for at least 7 yrs. and at least twice a year. We usually stayed in vacation homes but last year we decided to stay at a B&B. We stopped in at the Old Brick Inn and asked to see a room and liking what we saw, we booked the room immediately for the Wine Festival. We returned for the Fall into St. Michaels weekend and have booked again for 2009. Once under the old innkeepers and once under the new innkeepers. We had a great time on both occassions. Although In saying that, I do hope never to meet this man called "George" who was written about in some of the other reviews which must have been during the transition from the old to the new.

As far as the breakfast selection it was delicious under both chefs. There was ample food available for 2nds or 3rds. Bill, the current king of the kitchen will even give out his special receipes upon request. The housekeeping is also very good.

The innkeepers are very helpful and open to suggestions.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere, central location in the town.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Millersville
Reviewed 15 October 2008

My husband and I just spent the weekend at The Old Brick Inn Bed and Breakfast, a 50th wedding anniversary gift from our children. It is a lovely place that complemented our mini-vacation. The owners and staff were very grateful and accommodating, in fact, we were treated like family. Each morning we would awaken to a wonderful aroma of brewing coffee and breakfast cooking, which was delicious. It was complete, plentiful and served in a very pleasant atmosphere. What a treat! What beautiful rooms! The Inn is clean, comfortable and conviently located to everything in town. We highly recommend staying at this relaxing and enjoyable Inn.

June Ruffo

• Liked — Friendly
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
SC
Reviewed 24 September 2008

Our stay at the Old Brick Inn was horrible to be polite. The major dissappointment was the cook and the food. The cook, very rude and not at all hospitable, prepared a breakfast simply not edible. It was very obvious he didn't have the skills to prepare even the simplest breakfast meal. The food was truly disgusting and the biggest dissapointment of all. There are no selections available. The guest must eat what is prepared or " buy something else somewhere else" as I was instructed by the cook. Not only would I never recommend this very pricey B & B, but I would highly encourage any potential guest to continue their search for a hospitable, respectable, pleasant facilty if enjoying the event is at all important.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Food and Cook
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bigandtall
Maryland
Reviewed 12 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Old Brick Inn last month for two nights. If you are planning to go to St. Michaels MD I would highly recommend the inn. The inn is elegant and charming with a very warm atmosphere. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful with places to visit. I especially liked the beautiful flowers everywhere and the stain glass. The town was charming and the people I met there were very friendly. Bells rang out in the town every so often. Most places we visited were within walking distance and we loved walking down to the water restuarants.
We didn't use the pool but it was well maintained and there was a cozy garden area for relaxing. A great combination of history and luxury. We look forward to coming back before Christmas time.

• Liked — the charm and atmosphere
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
Arbutus
Reviewed 12 September 2008

I am a frequent guest of the Old Brick Inn and absolutely love it. I have been there with my husband, treated my daughter to a girls mini vacation and attended our small business meeting there. On all occasions the staff went out of their way to accomodate our every need. The food is magnificiant and the cleaniness is beyond comparison. we have visited many inns and we always come back to the Old Brick Inn. I love the fresh ironed sheets and the beds are so comfortable. We enjoy sitting on the front porch of the Kemp House and watching this peaceful little town transition from the typical work day to the evening walks with families and friends. The courtyards are well maintained and a perfect place to unwind and enjoy the other guest.

I have to say this the new Innkeepers are delightful.

• Liked — Every room is unique
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 27 August 2008

This was my husband's first visit to St. Michaels. I had been there many times before. We stayed in the Love Letters room. Yes it is small, and the bathroom could use some work. Those plans are already being made according to the owner.
We were welcomed warmly by George, as the regular innkeepers were away for the weekend. Everyone was very friendly. The breakfasts were very good.
We spent time with George one evening, having appetizers and some wine. He even invited us on a morning boat ride.
The inn even arranged a romantic proposal for a couple during our stay.
I think they went above and beyond any expectations I had.
We will be staying at the Old Brick Inn again!

• Liked — Location
Maryland
Reviewed 26 August 2008

I have never experienced the arrogance and rudeness of an innkeeper as that of the Old Brick Inn. I still cannot comprehend the condescending treatment we received by someone in the service industry!

My daughter reserved a two-night stay for myself and her sister on June 24, 2008. My younger daughter is expecting a child in October and we wanted to have a nice getaway together. I have stayed at bed and breakfast establishments many times and have never encountered anything like this.

My daughter reserved the reservation on-line and received a confirmation for the three of us in the Scarlet Room (two nights – Saturday and Sunday) for $572.00. Six days before our trip (and with the possible imposition of cancellation fees on the basis of their 14-day policy), she received an email from George stating that their website had a “glitch” and that the cost would now be $748.00 as Sunday is now considered a weekend night and they forgot to charge the $35 extra per night for the third guest. My daughter promptly called them on the Sunday before our Saturday arrival, when she received this email, and spoke to a woman (Bryn). She relayed that we were not interested in paying an additional $176.00 when we had a confirmation in hand for $572.00, and Bryn asked to call her back. When Bryn called back, she agreed that the policy had changed about Sundays and that it should not be retroactive for our reservation. She also agreed to charge us one night of $35 and not the second night. Therefore, they wanted an extra $35.00. We could agree to that and we kept our reservation.

When we arrived on Saturday, suitcases in hand, 1) there were no parking spaces to be found (even though were told that there were enough for all the guests) and we were quite rudely told to park in the bank parking lot (which also was full) or park on the residential street, then, 2) when we went in to confirm our reservation and obtain our room, my daughter was handed a two-page paper to sign. It was flipped over to the signature page agreeing to the fees. She questioned the amount that she was quoted. The clerk flipped it over to page one and we were being charged the additional $35.00 (now our additional charges from the confirmed reservation were $70.00 more). We disagreed, as that was not what had been negotiated. Whereupon, George came out from behind his gate and started to argue with us and attempted to validate his changing of the fees for the third time. In a raised tone of voice, he belittled us for “quibbling over $35.00,” although it was really an additional $70.00.

He asked why we did not call to make a reservation—but I hesitate to state the obvious—why offer online booking if you don’t expect guests to use it? He wanted the customer to assume the cost of his software “glitch”. He told us that we could walk away with no problem. We took him up on that as he was the rudest, most condescending man I have ever encountered and I told him that I had stayed at many bed and breakfasts and had never seen anything like this. He told me that that was my “mistake.” His is not a bed and breakfast but a “boutique hotel”! Excuse me, someone please change the website and take bed and breakfast off of it!

We left. We walked down the street with our luggage and were loading it back into my daughter’s car when George followed us out on the street—not to offer any kind of compromise—but to continue to argue his point about not losing money on the room!!!!!! He continued to berate us on the street in front of several bystanders. (What a big man to yell at three women—I’m certain he would not have done that if our husbands had been with us).

I don’t know what is wrong with this man but we were just trying to take him up on his offer to walk away. He even told my daughter (who was angry) not to cry! We were so disgusted that we left St. Michaels entirely and I will probably never go back there again! Someone ought to inform the mayor, city council, Chamber of Commerce, etc., that this man is not a good ambassador for the city of St. Michaels. I thoroughly agree with weddingbell09 (posting in tripadvisor.com) and I am so glad that someone else has encountered this man’s arrogance and rudeness because people that we tell about it have a hard time believing what happened to us!

From what we could tell as we literally only set one foot in the door, the pool is tiny, we were not impressed, and if the breakfasts are as disappointing as what others have said, I would have not agreed with even the original price. We certainly would not have wanted George to have anything to do with our food preparation. Scary thought!

From other postings I know that the “principals” of the Old Brick Inn obviously monitor this site and post responses, at times, with excuses. Don’t be fooled. I am not saying that this is the case here; however, I also know that business owners are not above posting good reviews for themselves. Consumers beware! It is good to have this kind of forum where you can see some of the real experiences of other patrons. I don’t know anything about the ownership changing hands as we have never stayed there, but there is no excuse for this man to follow us out onto the crowded street and continue to argue with us when he told us to walk away—he didn’t want us to stay there! George is certainly not fit to deal with guests and if he is a principal, as he says that he is, then he would be better served to let someone with customer service skills (and for the rates they charge, someone with impeccable customer service skills) greet and work with his guests! My daughters and I will never get back the time that we wished to spend together, in a relaxing atmosphere, before the birth of my grandchild. We managed to salvage our weekend and I will certainly not allow someone like George to ruin our time together. We just were not going to be extorted into paying a bill that changed on the day of check-in, for the third time! Unbelievable!!!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family