“Refreshed and Relaxed!”

Five Gables Inn & Spa
Ranked #9 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Wow! We feel so refreshed and relaxed. What a cute B&B! We were the only guests during both nights of our stay, and felt very much at home! The room was very nice with a gas fireplace. The Continental Breakfast in the adorable room was more than adequate, and again - we were all by ourselves so it really was nice. My husband loved it - there was plenty to eat! We went during the off season, and the town itself was generally slow, but it was so relaxing and that was just what we needed. We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 April 2013

We enjoyed our time here. We were disappointed that many of the shops and restaurants in St. Michaels were not open, since it was off-season and not a weekend. But that allowed us to enjoy the pool and the steam room for a relaxing start to our mini-vacation. The room was a good size and we were glad for the small fridge. The staff was helpful, and while the breakfast is not home-cooked, it was more than adequate, and served in a cheerful room. There were many choices that were fresh and tasty. The only negative was that the bed wasn't very comfortable. The mattress was not new and had been well broken in. But overall, we would recommend this B&B and definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a corner king room on the second floor of the main house. There were not many people staying...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights last September. We had seen pictures of the room online, and while I thought they looked nice, I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. The room was not huge, but it was plenty of space for the two of us. It had a small cupboad with a sink, mini fridge, and small Keurig, along with a basket of coffees, teas, and sugar. There was also a little table along the wall that had a letter welcoming us to the inn, and a map of the town. That was very nice, and useful., as we had never been to St. Michaels before. There were three overstuffed chairs total in the room, two TVs (one by the first two overstuffed chairs in the "sitting area," and one in an entertainment center by the bed), one of the comfiest beds I've ever slept in besides my own, and the best bathroom ever. Besides the (huge) shower and seperate sinks, each with their own mirror, their was a double whirlpool tub. It was the whirlpool tub that led us to consider Five Gables in the first place, but everything else sold it for us. We stayed in the Brick House, and had a small porch with two chairs. That was really nice since the weather was still so warm.

There is also a spa on site. If you stay at Five Gables (or just in St. Michaels), book a massage at their spa! I'm a massage therapist myself, so I've gotten quite a few massages in my lifetime, but this was the best one I have ever had. We had a couples massage package, and if you're planning a weekend getaway, it is a must. We were jelly and utterly useless for a good three hours afterwards. And to top it all off, you get a bottle of champagne (on ice!), and a box of chocolates waiting for you in the room when you arrive at the inn. The spa is in the same building as the front desk (I think there are four buildings altogether if you include the shops), which was right across from the Brick House. The woman at the front desk is very helpful, and very nice. She recommended some good restaurants and directions.

The only thing that was slightly disappointing was the breakfast. It was cereal, all kinds of breads and muffins, fruit, coffee, tea and juices. I was fine with it, but I know that it was not what we expected from the description of the place. Nevertheless, we loved it, and will be back.

Room Tip: There are seasonal fireplaces in each room, as well as a/c. The room in the Brick House with the por...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Five Gables Inn & Spa in the summer of 2012. We loved the fact that the Inn is "dog friendly" as we were able to bring our Black Lab, Lucy, along for the vacation. We couldn't have fallen more in love with St. Michael's. The town itself is so charming, and this Inn was the perfect place to stay. While it is pricey, I felt it was worth every penny. The bed was cozy, the bathroom was luxurious, we had a fire place, and each room has a balcony/porch with rocking chairs. It's just a short walk from any restaurant or shop in town & is located conveniently on the main street that runs through St. Michael's. We were also very impressed with the continental breakfast. Overall, this was a cozy, relaxing, and romantic place to stay. We will definitely be returning this summer.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kaitlin B
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Five Gables is a staple of ours. We know what to expect and we generally get it. Inn and B&B establishments are hard to turn a profit on in seasonal locations. I have experience and, hence, sympathy for that fact. We stayed in March for our anniversary and my birthday combimation. We got sa room across the street, upstairs. It was clean anc comfortable. the Mini Split Heat / AC unit is a bit tempermantal but the front desk girl was perfect and got us squared away. There was some patching to drywall and so forth that had not yet been painted. that is a dissapointment in a room costing north of a hundred bucks.

We like 5 gables and recommend it

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My wife and I stayed in one of the king rooms for a Saturday night. It was off season so the town and inn were relatively quiet but there were three other couples staying at the inn that weekend. The room was a good sized space but the bed was uncomfortable. Liked the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, but it could use some updates. Grout was missing in the shower tile and the tile floor gets very slippery when wet. Because the building is old, we also heard creaks and noises all throughout the night which kept us awake. There was a couple staying in the room above us and we could hear every move they made. My wife could also hear someone snoring in the room next to us. It was nice how the inn has a Keurig machine in the common area that guests can help themselves to along with some fresh cookies. We did not try the spa facilities so cannot speak to those. Overall, the inn is a fine place to stay, but if you need quiet to sleep, it will be a struggle. It is probably much louder during the high season.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fisherow373
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stayed this february in the deluxe suite, the room was spacious but not very clean, carpet was stained and very dusty. the bathroom however was clean. We used the pullout bed which had sheets that were torn and had small blood stains on them. We were disappointed to learn that breakfast was not a home cooked one but just a carb fest and some token fruit.
the spa was nice and the staff were friendly. the pool area was very neglected dead plants and dead leaves were all over. We used a travel agency for this stay and after checking out we were charged by the hotel for our stay even though they were paid by the agency. To top it off the hotel sent reimbursement to the travel agency not us and almost 10 days later we still are waiting for our money! overall not worth the high price at all!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dena118
FiveGables, Manager at Five Gables Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of Five Gables Inn & Spa. Thank you for making us aware of our shortcomings. We will make every effort to correct these issues as quickly as possible. Having not been made aware of the condition of the sheets on the sofa bed while you were here, I can only apologize and guarantee that it will not happen again.
If you are having trouble with billing issues, please call me right away to rectify the situation. We haven’t had any issues with special payment arrangements that I am aware of. I would be happy to correct this immediately.