“Great Location”

Five Gables Inn & Spa
Ranked #8 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 40th anniversary here. The room was nice and clean. The back porch was marred by some coffee and cigarette trash left there to greet us. This was mentioned to the front desk and then disappeared. Because of the rain we had some ants in the bathroom. This was also taken care of after alerting the front desk. Our children had ordered champagne and chocolates which were in the room when we checked in. The surprise was that it was a box of Russell Stover drug store candy. A box of four salted caramels or truffles from the local candy store would have cost the same or less and impressed a lot more and supported a local business. The breakfast was very nice and the room and attendant very pleasant. We had a wonderful couples massage at the spa. We enjoyed the whirlpool tub both nights. The location really served us well. We only used our car to go to the sailing part of our spa/sail package.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
FiveGables, General Manager at Five Gables Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Happy to know that you enjoyed spending your 40th Anniversary with us. Congratulations!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The first time we stayed at Five Gables (in the summer), we rented a suite in the house across the street from the main building. Great privacy, the blue suite (we nick named it The Bird House) has two bathrooms. One bathroom is next to the bedroom with a massage shower with 4 shower heads and great water pressure. The second bathroom in next to the living area and has a nice jacuzzi tub. Very romantic. The second time we stayed in the main house during valentine day weekend. Being able to walk down to the pool, sauna, steam room in a towel heighted the romance and relaxation. The only reason I am not giving 5 stars for the second time is the noisy people in the room next to us late a night when we were trying to sleep Going forward we are reserving a suite.

Room Tip: The main house it great is you plan on using the pool, sauna, hotroom....otherwise the suites across...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay at Five Gables again! We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had room #9 and when making reservations we were told that it was a queen bed in our room. This certainly was not a queen bed; I have one at home, I would say it was a full size bed in this room. Good thing we like each other to sleep that close. Husband told them we were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, not even a note to say congratulations to us. For the price we paid they should have put a bottle of St. Michaels wine in the room with a note (it's not much money). Upon check in we were not told of all the amenities we get and where to go. We were just shown the pool and sauna. Found the continental breakfast, was not impressed with what was served Yogurt was just put into a bowl not on ice just sitting out there and fruit was not fresh and nothing healthy was served. We wound up going down the street for breakfast. The bikes need tending to, rusted and flat tires - that was not fun. Rooms were clean, bathroom was big. I have to say I did love the big porch in room #9. Lot's of privacy sitting there. Rockers could have been cleaned before we got there, our clothes got extremely dirty. Well, I can say I stayed here, but I am not sure if I will return. At check out was not even asked how was our say, hmmm guess they did not even care. I wonder if they will even read this and care....

Room Tip: Make sure when they say Queen bed your getting what your paying for!!! Room #9 was completely privat...
1  Thank AbsoluteDreamVac
FiveGables, Manager at Five Gables Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to review Five Gables Inn & Spa. We care very much about what our guests have to say about us and will use your comments to improve. We do hope you'll consider visiting us again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

There really aren't any cheap places to stay in St. Michaels. That said, Five Gables Inn & Spa isn't crazy expensive, just more than I might normally like to pay. We had a very comfortable room, the folks were very friendly, and our dog was greeted just as kindly as we were (better, actually, he got a bone and a toy crab to take home!) We didn’t use the pool/hot tub/sauna, but the facilities were clean. Breakfast was across the street in another building and we found it to be very nice for a continental breakfast. The muffins were the best I’ve had in a long, long time (the blueberry muffin was amazing, actually). Check out was 12:00 noon, which makes for a nice lazy morning. The only thing that threw me for a loop is that I thought, from the pictures, that our room was going to have a door directly outside making taking the dog out easier. The door went to a small porch only (which was nice, just not what I expected) so we had to walk down a short hall to get outside. I would absolutely stay again.

1  Thank zozo1967

Thank you for your kind review. We are very happy to hear you and your furry friend had a good stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The Five Gables is right in the heart of St. Michaels, and is a pleasant, peaceful place to stay. Our room had a sweet little balcony overlooking a garden with a small brook bordered by tiger lilies. The room wasn't huge, but it was nicely decorated and had all we needed - a king-sized bed, a closet, a couple of chairs, and an ample bathroom. Though we didn't use the pool or spa facilities, they were clean and inviting. Grace, at the front desk, was personable and very helpful with suggestions. A bonus of staying at the Five Gables is their fleet of bicycles available for free use by guests. They're the perfect way to get around St. Michaels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night and found everything to be very nice. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff friendly. The only thing that could use improvement is the breakfast. For a cost of $295 a night I think a more substantial breakfast should be offered instead of a simple continental breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed 1 night at the B&B and was disappointed in the service received. The room was nice, but for $450 a night w/tax I would expect MUCH better. The furniture looked worn, there are no curtains to keep the bright light out of the bedroom and when the sun is up at 6am, so are you. The shower was small and the Jacuzzi tub did not work. I picked this B&B specifically because of the Jacuzzi and was told 'sorry, it doesn't work' when I inquired about why it was not working. I find it VERY hard to believe it has worked in a very long time. The staff (owner?) seemed to care less, showed no concern and offered no sort of reimbursement. I travel extensively and have been all over the country and I have to say that Five Gables was the worst customer service I have seen in a long time. The continental breakfast leaves much to be desired, but the staff there was very friendly. St. Michael’s is beautiful and other than Five Gables I highly recommend visiting. There are many B&B's in the area that are nicer and cheaper. Make sure to visit Marco's Sushi & Raw Bar Food, everyone there is so friendly.

2  Thank aerogirl76
FiveGables, General Manager at Five Gables Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

We appreciate you bringing your disappointment to our attention. We would very much like to speak with you directly concerning your experience. We care very much about your stay and the quality of our Inn. Please contact us at 410-745-0100, so that we may turn your bad experience into a positive one.