“Great Getaway!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
Bowie, MD
“Great Getaway!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

We stayed at the Five Gables for one night this summer. Overall we were very pleased with our stay. The room was quaint, a mix of antiques with contemporary touches. The bed slept wonderfully, in fact we checked out the manufacturer and are considering a similar one for home. We had room #5, end of hall on the second floor. We heard very little noise, even with the breakfast room across the hall. The bathroom was marvelous and the jacuzzi tub was a great treat. We did not use the spa, but the Aveda amenities in the room were a nice touch. We were slightly disappointed with the breakfast, given the cost of staying at the inn. All they had were a few types of fresh muffins, english muffins, bread for toasting, juice, coffee, tea, and yogurt. Although we were in and out of our room often, we rarely ran into people except at breakfast, so we can't comment on the "snooty" factor I've read about in other reviews. We definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank TravelMom_Bowie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Monroeville, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2005

My wife and I spent 2 days at the Five Gables to celebrate our anniversary. I used to come to St. Michaels many years ago with my parents, and thought it would be a nice, quiet place to celebrate with my wife for a couple of days.
As for the Five Gables, we found it to be very nice, though no nicer than other B&B's we have stayed in that were much less expensive (and had better breakfasts). We stayed in room 1, which had a double jacuzzi tub. The room was well appointed, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The tub was nice and worked great, but they need to re-caulk the tile around it, as a couple of ants came out of the cracks when we turned the jets on. Not a lot, but a couple. I also found some of the guests to be a little snoobish. My wife walked on to our balcony when we first arrived and said hello to the woman next door sitting on her porch. She completely ignored her! Also at breakfast the first morning I asked someone a simple question about the coffee cups and he blew me off too. Oh well, life's too short to complain about folks with their noses in the air.
As for St. Michaels, we recommend the Carpenter Street Saloon for a place to unwind (go during the day and see Morris, he's a blast). Also for a sunset criuse, the Lady Patty on Tilghman's Island can't be beat. Chris and Helene were great hosts.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Five Gables and St. Michaels, but for the price will probably seek other accommodations when we return.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank coolbreezeken
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2005

We did Five Gables "Spa and Sail" weekend. The rooms were tastefully appointed and we enjoyed some snacks and wine on our balcony. We could people watch on Talbot Street (not all rooms faced the Street). The pool was rather small but sufficient for a quick dip after the sauna. The in-room hot tubs were not magnificent but did the job. The sail with "Captain Wade" was wonderful as was our massage. As previously mentioned, breakfast could improve a tad but the coffee was quality! A great place to celebrate a weekend away for couples.

Stayed May 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2005

We had a great stay at the Five Gables. We read a lot of the reviews before we decided where to stay. The Inn is pricey- but it is really just so quaint and lovely, we were not at all upset about the price. The room we had in was just so cute- brick walls and a lot of charm. Yes, for the price they could provide a better breakfast- but there is really an ample spread of breads, muffins, and cereal in the mornings. St. Michaels is just a really cool little town. Something that you can easily do in a day trip. Just a notice- DO NOT GO IN THE OFF SEASON- as there is little to choose from dining wise. Most of the shops and places to eat are closed until March. All and all we would do it again- and we would stay at the Five Gables.

• Stayed January 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Michael M
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2005

We went over the holiday weekend - New Years Eve. There are alot of nice features - i.e. electric fireplace in the room, whirl pool tub, gift basket, Aveda products, and Frette linens and towels. As the other review states, the breakfast is truly a continental so don't expect much beyond muffins and toast. My massage was fair - I would have been upset if I was paying out of pocket(it was included in the package). It's expensive but we did enjoy it. St. Michaels is very quiet at this time of year so it is a nice escape.

The walls are very, very thin. I am amazed how much you can hear in the other room.

2 Thank foodienaptown
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2005

Now, the last time I visited an Inn that received rave reviews on this website, I was seriously disappointed with my stay. For that particular trip, I didn't visit this website until after I got back and I was wondering if all the people who gave that inn (not to mention names, but it's in Canton maryland) rave reviews stayed at the same place I did. Anyway, to avoid a repeat of that nightmare, I checked out the reviews for Five Gables on this website before I booked the trip. I am in PR so I'm pretty good at differentiating between whiny complaining reviews and honest ones. I decided to take the risk and booked my trip as a Christmas present to my incredible picky and particular boyfriend who also has impeccable taste. I thought it would be a nice get away from our incredibly demanding and stressful lives. And, boy was I pleasantly surprised. Our room was well appointed, nice, comfortable and sensual. Unlike most B&Bs, our room was not loaded with doilies and rags dolls (you know, nothing gets you in the mood more than a Raggedy Ann doll sitting on the bed ;). We got the King room at the end of the hall with the double whirlpool (Room 5) and that was great. We took a very nice soak the night we got there and sat by the fire in our room. The next day we had the His and Hers spa treatment that included the bath and massage. It was very nice and relaxing and just what my busy man and I needed. Regarding the food, I do think they can do more for the breakfast. You know, when you spend that kind of money you would like for someone to be in the kitchen scrambling some eggs and frying up some bacon. They had muffins and juice; not exactly a meal fit for a king. We never ate breakfast there but luckily the restaurants in the town are good. The first day we went to the restaurant right next door for breakfast and had a pretty bad experience with the crab omelet (there were shells in every bite). The owners of that restaurant understood how unacceptable that was and comped our entire meal. Can't complain about that. But the Bistro and the Town Dock were nice for lunch and dinner. There was great shoppping at Coco's and a great place for breakfast right across from Coco's (can't remember the name, but the breakfast was good, not fine dining but good). Basically, what you will find at this spa is relaxation in modern but comfortable surroundings, a cute town, and great spa services. What you will not find is an overly attentive staff and great food. I'm at work today and everyone says that I am glowing. I think that says it all!!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2005

We expected more fruit and variety for breakfast. The ad mentioned a bountiful breakfast but all we got was muffins and breads. There was no bananas, oranges, or even apples. There was a few small pitchers of juices but we were so annoyed at the skimpy selection we just left for a real breakfast down the road.

The massages were nice, the soaking tub was the best. Picking the aroma was kind of nice as well.

The hotel room was cute at first, but when the neighbor next door used the jetted tub, it shook through the paper thin walls.

The front desk didn't really treat us nicely, that was insulting since it was so much money and a Hampton Inn would have been half the price with better service.

5 Thank Randomviolinist