I very much enjoyed our stay at the five gables...just got back yesterday. I went with my wife to celebrate our 14th anniversiary and we had a great weekend. We went last anniversiary to St. Michaels and loved the town and wanted to come back this year. We stayed in room #5 right across from the breakfast area (were a little concerned at first but turned out to be fine).
The room is just like other reviewers stated...comfortable but not overdone. The large (king) bed is very comfortable and there are lots of pillows which is nice. The bathroom is very big and there is a large 2 person jacuzzi that is very nice. The room is nicely decorated and is painted in a relaxing yellow color.
Even though the inn was full, we rarely saw anyone and did not hear anyone next door or out in the hall (the A/C was on which does drown out a lot of noise though). I read a review about paper walls and hearing people moving about in the morning but I did not hear anyone.
Friday night we went to the Crab Claw and loved it. Had crabs, beer, and a great waterfront view...what can be bettter!
We did the "Spa and Sail" package and on Saturday I got a massage and my wife got the hour facial (includes neck, shoulder, foot massage). They let you pick out your Aveda scent ahead of time, and you get into your robe and they pick you up at your room for the spa services (pretty neat). We thought it would be weird walking through the inn in our robes, but they take you through the breakfast area right into the spa rooms (didn't see anyone).
The massage and facial were awesome and we came back totally relaxed and ready for dinner at 208 Talbot across the street (great dinner BTW...I wrote another review for this though).
The breakfast was just like other reviewers stated -- limited but very good. They had a good selection of muffins and several different types of breads as well as hard boiled eggs. This was perfect for my wife but I prefer a bigger breakfast.
We went on the 11AM sail on Sunday and brought some sandwiches & stuff from "Gourmet by the Bay" and it was delicious. The sail itself was fun and Captain Wade makes it memorable. Bring lots of water if its going to be hot...we didn't and we were very thirsty after we got off. You get to take the helm and steer the Skipjack...which is a lot of fun. If you go on the sail, make a left from Dogwood Harbor and go a little ways up to a cafe on the right. They have a restroom (no head on the boat), and delicious ice cream and deserts (as well as deli stuff). We got the blackberry cobbler with ice cream and it was awesome.
We can't wait to head back to St. Michaels...love the town. You don't have to drive anywhere and can walk to all the shops which I love (after lunch on Saturday I went to take a nap and my wife kept shopping -- good for both of us!). As far as the Five Gables goes...if you are informed from the reviews here and still go, there is no way you won't love the place and have a great time. What I mean is that if you understand that there is no full breakfast and that this is not a full service Inn (no room service, no bell service, etc.) then you will love the place.
Hope this review helps,
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the picturesque Chesapeake Bay village of St Michaels, Five Gables Inn & Spa blends historic charm and warmth with a luxury spa experience. Accommodations include spa tubs and fireplaces and are complemented by the inn's indoor pool, sauna and steam room, generous amenities, a gracious a truly helpful staff and a superb location. Our meeting room is a great place to hold executive retreats and company meetings. The on-site spa is open daily and offers a full range of relaxing treatments featuring Aveda products and skillful professionals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Five Gables Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 5 Gables Inn & Spa
- Five Gables Hotel St. Michaels
- Five Gables Inn And Spa
- Five Gables Inn & Spa St. Michaels, Maryland