“Very Relaxing Stay at the Five Gables!”

Five Gables Inn & Spa
Ranked #8 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2005

I very much enjoyed our stay at the five gables...just got back yesterday. I went with my wife to celebrate our 14th anniversiary and we had a great weekend. We went last anniversiary to St. Michaels and loved the town and wanted to come back this year. We stayed in room #5 right across from the breakfast area (were a little concerned at first but turned out to be fine).

The room is just like other reviewers stated...comfortable but not overdone. The large (king) bed is very comfortable and there are lots of pillows which is nice. The bathroom is very big and there is a large 2 person jacuzzi that is very nice. The room is nicely decorated and is painted in a relaxing yellow color.

Even though the inn was full, we rarely saw anyone and did not hear anyone next door or out in the hall (the A/C was on which does drown out a lot of noise though). I read a review about paper walls and hearing people moving about in the morning but I did not hear anyone.

Friday night we went to the Crab Claw and loved it. Had crabs, beer, and a great waterfront view...what can be bettter!

We did the "Spa and Sail" package and on Saturday I got a massage and my wife got the hour facial (includes neck, shoulder, foot massage). They let you pick out your Aveda scent ahead of time, and you get into your robe and they pick you up at your room for the spa services (pretty neat). We thought it would be weird walking through the inn in our robes, but they take you through the breakfast area right into the spa rooms (didn't see anyone).

The massage and facial were awesome and we came back totally relaxed and ready for dinner at 208 Talbot across the street (great dinner BTW...I wrote another review for this though).

The breakfast was just like other reviewers stated -- limited but very good. They had a good selection of muffins and several different types of breads as well as hard boiled eggs. This was perfect for my wife but I prefer a bigger breakfast.

We went on the 11AM sail on Sunday and brought some sandwiches & stuff from "Gourmet by the Bay" and it was delicious. The sail itself was fun and Captain Wade makes it memorable. Bring lots of water if its going to be hot...we didn't and we were very thirsty after we got off. You get to take the helm and steer the Skipjack...which is a lot of fun. If you go on the sail, make a left from Dogwood Harbor and go a little ways up to a cafe on the right. They have a restroom (no head on the boat), and delicious ice cream and deserts (as well as deli stuff). We got the blackberry cobbler with ice cream and it was awesome.

We can't wait to head back to St. Michaels...love the town. You don't have to drive anywhere and can walk to all the shops which I love (after lunch on Saturday I went to take a nap and my wife kept shopping -- good for both of us!). As far as the Five Gables goes...if you are informed from the reviews here and still go, there is no way you won't love the place and have a great time. What I mean is that if you understand that there is no full breakfast and that this is not a full service Inn (no room service, no bell service, etc.) then you will love the place.

Hope this review helps,

Keith

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank KRPainter

Reviewed 17 July 2005

We stayed at the Five Gables for one night this summer. Overall we were very pleased with our stay. The room was quaint, a mix of antiques with contemporary touches. The bed slept wonderfully, in fact we checked out the manufacturer and are considering a similar one for home. We had room #5, end of hall on the second floor. We heard very little noise, even with the breakfast room across the hall. The bathroom was marvelous and the jacuzzi tub was a great treat. We did not use the spa, but the Aveda amenities in the room were a nice touch. We were slightly disappointed with the breakfast, given the cost of staying at the inn. All they had were a few types of fresh muffins, english muffins, bread for toasting, juice, coffee, tea, and yogurt. Although we were in and out of our room often, we rarely ran into people except at breakfast, so we can't comment on the "snooty" factor I've read about in other reviews. We definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank TravelMom_Bowie
Reviewed 25 June 2005

My wife and I spent 2 days at the Five Gables to celebrate our anniversary. I used to come to St. Michaels many years ago with my parents, and thought it would be a nice, quiet place to celebrate with my wife for a couple of days.
As for the Five Gables, we found it to be very nice, though no nicer than other B&B's we have stayed in that were much less expensive (and had better breakfasts). We stayed in room 1, which had a double jacuzzi tub. The room was well appointed, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The tub was nice and worked great, but they need to re-caulk the tile around it, as a couple of ants came out of the cracks when we turned the jets on. Not a lot, but a couple. I also found some of the guests to be a little snoobish. My wife walked on to our balcony when we first arrived and said hello to the woman next door sitting on her porch. She completely ignored her! Also at breakfast the first morning I asked someone a simple question about the coffee cups and he blew me off too. Oh well, life's too short to complain about folks with their noses in the air.
As for St. Michaels, we recommend the Carpenter Street Saloon for a place to unwind (go during the day and see Morris, he's a blast). Also for a sunset criuse, the Lady Patty on Tilghman's Island can't be beat. Chris and Helene were great hosts.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Five Gables and St. Michaels, but for the price will probably seek other accommodations when we return.

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank coolbreezeken
Reviewed 22 May 2005

We did Five Gables "Spa and Sail" weekend. The rooms were tastefully appointed and we enjoyed some snacks and wine on our balcony. We could people watch on Talbot Street (not all rooms faced the Street). The pool was rather small but sufficient for a quick dip after the sauna. The in-room hot tubs were not magnificent but did the job. The sail with "Captain Wade" was wonderful as was our massage. As previously mentioned, breakfast could improve a tad but the coffee was quality! A great place to celebrate a weekend away for couples.

Stayed: May 2005
Reviewed 16 January 2005

We had a great stay at the Five Gables. We read a lot of the reviews before we decided where to stay. The Inn is pricey- but it is really just so quaint and lovely, we were not at all upset about the price. The room we had in was just so cute- brick walls and a lot of charm. Yes, for the price they could provide a better breakfast- but there is really an ample spread of breads, muffins, and cereal in the mornings. St. Michaels is just a really cool little town. Something that you can easily do in a day trip. Just a notice- DO NOT GO IN THE OFF SEASON- as there is little to choose from dining wise. Most of the shops and places to eat are closed until March. All and all we would do it again- and we would stay at the Five Gables.

• Stayed: January 2005
9  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 3 January 2005

We went over the holiday weekend - New Years Eve. There are alot of nice features - i.e. electric fireplace in the room, whirl pool tub, gift basket, Aveda products, and Frette linens and towels. As the other review states, the breakfast is truly a continental so don't expect much beyond muffins and toast. My massage was fair - I would have been upset if I was paying out of pocket(it was included in the package). It's expensive but we did enjoy it. St. Michaels is very quiet at this time of year so it is a nice escape.

The walls are very, very thin. I am amazed how much you can hear in the other room.

2  Thank foodienaptown
A TripAdvisor Member
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 3 January 2005

Now, the last time I visited an Inn that received rave reviews on this website, I was seriously disappointed with my stay. For that particular trip, I didn't visit this website until after I got back and I was wondering if all the people who gave that inn (not to mention names, but it's in Canton maryland) rave reviews stayed at the same place I did. Anyway, to avoid a repeat of that nightmare, I checked out the reviews for Five Gables on this website before I booked the trip. I am in PR so I'm pretty good at differentiating between whiny complaining reviews and honest ones. I decided to take the risk and booked my trip as a Christmas present to my incredible picky and particular boyfriend who also has impeccable taste. I thought it would be a nice get away from our incredibly demanding and stressful lives. And, boy was I pleasantly surprised. Our room was well appointed, nice, comfortable and sensual. Unlike most B&Bs, our room was not loaded with doilies and rags dolls (you know, nothing gets you in the mood more than a Raggedy Ann doll sitting on the bed ;). We got the King room at the end of the hall with the double whirlpool (Room 5) and that was great. We took a very nice soak the night we got there and sat by the fire in our room. The next day we had the His and Hers spa treatment that included the bath and massage. It was very nice and relaxing and just what my busy man and I needed. Regarding the food, I do think they can do more for the breakfast. You know, when you spend that kind of money you would like for someone to be in the kitchen scrambling some eggs and frying up some bacon. They had muffins and juice; not exactly a meal fit for a king. We never ate breakfast there but luckily the restaurants in the town are good. The first day we went to the restaurant right next door for breakfast and had a pretty bad experience with the crab omelet (there were shells in every bite). The owners of that restaurant understood how unacceptable that was and comped our entire meal. Can't complain about that. But the Bistro and the Town Dock were nice for lunch and dinner. There was great shoppping at Coco's and a great place for breakfast right across from Coco's (can't remember the name, but the breakfast was good, not fine dining but good). Basically, what you will find at this spa is relaxation in modern but comfortable surroundings, a cute town, and great spa services. What you will not find is an overly attentive staff and great food. I'm at work today and everyone says that I am glowing. I think that says it all!!!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member