“Had a Great Time”

Five Gables Inn & Spa
Ranked #8 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 November 2005

My Husband and I stayed at the Five Gables Inn and Spa for our anniversary trip and had a fabulous time! I'm really not sure what all of the negative posts are about - the innkeeper was more than accomdating (bringing us wine glasses and an opener way after the employees had left for the night); breakfast, while continental, was ample for anyone to get their day started; there was never anyone in the pool, sauna, or steam room (my husband and I used them every evening and were the only ones ever in there); the massages were great; the location is perfect; and it's an overall relaxing and quaint place to stay!

We stayed in Room 4 (lower level corner room in the main house) and didn't hear a peep frrm any other guest.

Don't discount this place based on a few bad comments - we had a great time!

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank WineMeDineMe

A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 November 2005

My 8 month pregnant wife and I were looking forward to one last romantic weekend before the holidays and the arrival of our newborn. Our biggest travel mistake this year was wasting time and money at the Five Gables Inn.

Upon arriving on Friday afternoon, we were treated to the programming on the television in the next door room (not inappropriately loud, mind you) and the sounds of one occupant flipping the pages of their paper. This was only interrupted by their conversation which traveled unfiltered and unmuffled into our room. To describe the thickness of the wall between the two rooms as wafer-thin would be to overstate it.

Upon bringing this unacceptable situation to the attention of the innkeeper, her reaction was one of arrogant indifference, even cynical amusement at the situation. We then requested that Five Gables not charge our card for the deposit if we found other lodging -- even at this early stage it was no secret that this was a low class (yet, very expensive) inn. While the innkeeper advised us that she had the authority to waive the deposit, she also advised us she had no intention of doing so under any circumstance. I then asked her to come to our room so she could experience the noise level for herself. She refused. (However, she did offer us a different room the following night, which we accepted. Sadly, come Saturday morning, she had rented the room we were going to move into without any notification. No surprise there). I then requested the contact information for the owners of the Inn. Again, she refused. Finally, I asked whether or not she knew of any availability in St. Michael's that same weekend. She shrugged, handed over a St. Michael's brochure and said "good luck." The irony of this particular brochure is that Five Gables has taken an advertisement out in the back which refers to the "truly helpful innkeeper" as one of its selling points. The posting rules of TripAdvisor.com prohibit me from speaking any further on whether she was "truly helpful."

This must stand in stark contrast to the first bed and breakfast we contacted in our search which, although full, kindly offered to search the St. Michael's reservation site and provided a list of available lodging in the area (curiously, the Five Gables innkeeper made no mention of an online reservation site for St. Michaels). Unfortunately, Five Gables was intent on keeping our substantial deposit and we were loath to materially increase the cost of the vacation. So we stayed under duress.

Having established the quality of the inn and its keeper, let me briefly outline a few of the many problems with Five Gables.

-Television and VCR (no DVD) in every room, but no telephone.
-Thermostat broken.
-The "indoor pool" is little more than a glorified bath tub and smaller than most whirlpools.
-No privacy in the spa.
-The continental breakfast was average and far short of most other inns.
-The common area furniture is old and pedestrian and the rugs are tired and unclean.

My wife and I don't travel as much as we would like, so we make sure to travel well when we do. Over the course of our years together, we have stayed at a number of places that earn their 4 or 5 star rating, and we've seen some fall short. But, we have never seen such a misrepresentation of the lodging provided, or been treated so shabbily at such an exorbitant cost. We've never even heard of such mistreatment, much less had the unfortunate circumstance to experience it firsthand.

There are, perhaps, over 30 inns and bed and breakfasts in the St. Michael's area. In searching for availability this weekend, I contacted or stopped by 8 different inns and bed and breakfasts on Friday evening. All were owned or operated by pleasant, empathic people who only sought to be helpful and accomodating in assisting us find alternative lodging. Any would have been preferable. But for the fact that my wife is 8 months pregnant, I'd have rather we slept under our car than ruin an otherwise fabulous vacation by staying at the Five Gables Inn.

• Stayed: November 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 August 2005

I very much enjoyed our stay at the five gables...just got back yesterday. I went with my wife to celebrate our 14th anniversiary and we had a great weekend. We went last anniversiary to St. Michaels and loved the town and wanted to come back this year. We stayed in room #5 right across from the breakfast area (were a little concerned at first but turned out to be fine).

The room is just like other reviewers stated...comfortable but not overdone. The large (king) bed is very comfortable and there are lots of pillows which is nice. The bathroom is very big and there is a large 2 person jacuzzi that is very nice. The room is nicely decorated and is painted in a relaxing yellow color.

Even though the inn was full, we rarely saw anyone and did not hear anyone next door or out in the hall (the A/C was on which does drown out a lot of noise though). I read a review about paper walls and hearing people moving about in the morning but I did not hear anyone.

Friday night we went to the Crab Claw and loved it. Had crabs, beer, and a great waterfront view...what can be bettter!

We did the "Spa and Sail" package and on Saturday I got a massage and my wife got the hour facial (includes neck, shoulder, foot massage). They let you pick out your Aveda scent ahead of time, and you get into your robe and they pick you up at your room for the spa services (pretty neat). We thought it would be weird walking through the inn in our robes, but they take you through the breakfast area right into the spa rooms (didn't see anyone).

The massage and facial were awesome and we came back totally relaxed and ready for dinner at 208 Talbot across the street (great dinner BTW...I wrote another review for this though).

The breakfast was just like other reviewers stated -- limited but very good. They had a good selection of muffins and several different types of breads as well as hard boiled eggs. This was perfect for my wife but I prefer a bigger breakfast.

We went on the 11AM sail on Sunday and brought some sandwiches & stuff from "Gourmet by the Bay" and it was delicious. The sail itself was fun and Captain Wade makes it memorable. Bring lots of water if its going to be hot...we didn't and we were very thirsty after we got off. You get to take the helm and steer the Skipjack...which is a lot of fun. If you go on the sail, make a left from Dogwood Harbor and go a little ways up to a cafe on the right. They have a restroom (no head on the boat), and delicious ice cream and deserts (as well as deli stuff). We got the blackberry cobbler with ice cream and it was awesome.

We can't wait to head back to St. Michaels...love the town. You don't have to drive anywhere and can walk to all the shops which I love (after lunch on Saturday I went to take a nap and my wife kept shopping -- good for both of us!). As far as the Five Gables goes...if you are informed from the reviews here and still go, there is no way you won't love the place and have a great time. What I mean is that if you understand that there is no full breakfast and that this is not a full service Inn (no room service, no bell service, etc.) then you will love the place.

Hope this review helps,

Keith

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank KRPainter
Reviewed 17 July 2005

We stayed at the Five Gables for one night this summer. Overall we were very pleased with our stay. The room was quaint, a mix of antiques with contemporary touches. The bed slept wonderfully, in fact we checked out the manufacturer and are considering a similar one for home. We had room #5, end of hall on the second floor. We heard very little noise, even with the breakfast room across the hall. The bathroom was marvelous and the jacuzzi tub was a great treat. We did not use the spa, but the Aveda amenities in the room were a nice touch. We were slightly disappointed with the breakfast, given the cost of staying at the inn. All they had were a few types of fresh muffins, english muffins, bread for toasting, juice, coffee, tea, and yogurt. Although we were in and out of our room often, we rarely ran into people except at breakfast, so we can't comment on the "snooty" factor I've read about in other reviews. We definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank TravelMom_Bowie
Reviewed 25 June 2005

My wife and I spent 2 days at the Five Gables to celebrate our anniversary. I used to come to St. Michaels many years ago with my parents, and thought it would be a nice, quiet place to celebrate with my wife for a couple of days.
As for the Five Gables, we found it to be very nice, though no nicer than other B&B's we have stayed in that were much less expensive (and had better breakfasts). We stayed in room 1, which had a double jacuzzi tub. The room was well appointed, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The tub was nice and worked great, but they need to re-caulk the tile around it, as a couple of ants came out of the cracks when we turned the jets on. Not a lot, but a couple. I also found some of the guests to be a little snoobish. My wife walked on to our balcony when we first arrived and said hello to the woman next door sitting on her porch. She completely ignored her! Also at breakfast the first morning I asked someone a simple question about the coffee cups and he blew me off too. Oh well, life's too short to complain about folks with their noses in the air.
As for St. Michaels, we recommend the Carpenter Street Saloon for a place to unwind (go during the day and see Morris, he's a blast). Also for a sunset criuse, the Lady Patty on Tilghman's Island can't be beat. Chris and Helene were great hosts.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Five Gables and St. Michaels, but for the price will probably seek other accommodations when we return.

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank coolbreezeken
Reviewed 22 May 2005

We did Five Gables "Spa and Sail" weekend. The rooms were tastefully appointed and we enjoyed some snacks and wine on our balcony. We could people watch on Talbot Street (not all rooms faced the Street). The pool was rather small but sufficient for a quick dip after the sauna. The in-room hot tubs were not magnificent but did the job. The sail with "Captain Wade" was wonderful as was our massage. As previously mentioned, breakfast could improve a tad but the coffee was quality! A great place to celebrate a weekend away for couples.

Stayed: May 2005
Reviewed 16 January 2005

We had a great stay at the Five Gables. We read a lot of the reviews before we decided where to stay. The Inn is pricey- but it is really just so quaint and lovely, we were not at all upset about the price. The room we had in was just so cute- brick walls and a lot of charm. Yes, for the price they could provide a better breakfast- but there is really an ample spread of breads, muffins, and cereal in the mornings. St. Michaels is just a really cool little town. Something that you can easily do in a day trip. Just a notice- DO NOT GO IN THE OFF SEASON- as there is little to choose from dining wise. Most of the shops and places to eat are closed until March. All and all we would do it again- and we would stay at the Five Gables.

• Stayed: January 2005