“Great Location But Beware Bait n' Switch”
Review of Hambleton Inn

Hambleton Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2007

We stayed at the Hambleton Inn in mid-June 2007. When we made our reservations, we were told that the "NEW" "Master Suite" (not yet on the website) was available. We booked it based on the wonderful description. When we arrived at the Inn, no one was there to greet us. A note said that our "Master Suite (those were the exact word in the notes left for us by Melissa, the Inn Keeper)" was on the 3rd floor. We could tell that the room was Queen 5, the least expensive room, from the website. Sherry, the absentee owner, who said by cell phone that there had been a mistake and sent us to the "Master Suite (MS).” It looked as if someone had just gotten up that morning and quickly left. Turns out it was the night Inn Keeper and that the
"MS" was really his living quarters.

We were never told that the MS was the innkeeper’s living quarters and that we would be sharing the space with him! And when a room change was required, we felt that we were victims of a bait and switch. Melissa's note clearly states that the "Master Suite" is on the 3rd floor and no one explain the room change to us until we noticed.

Q5 is a charming, private room. However, you need to walk in the room with your head down. The bathroom is across a hall you must cross being exposed to anyone coming up the stairs. But, we decided to stay in Q5. The MS just wasn't worth the extra money.

There are clearly communication problems between the innkeepers and the owner, as each told us that fault was the others’. Any other explanation can only be that we were victims of a "bait and switch."

There was an almost $200 difference in the cost of the 2 rooms. Both
Sherry and Melissa promised that our credit card would be re-credited
immediately. 3 weeks after our stay, the credit had not been made. I
emailed Sherry who relied that the credit would be made "right away."
2 days later, it had not been made; I sent another email. Only then did she put through the credit.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank 4shortdogs
ColoradoMarie, Owner at Hambleton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2010

The Hambleton Inn is under new ownership since 2006. The owner, Sherry Manning, is also the Innkeeper and has been since July 2007. She works very hard to ensure these situations do not happen again. We apologize for the misunderstanding.

Reviewed 13 November 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Hambleton Inn this past weekend and had a great time! The rooms were clean, service exceptional and the waterfront location was perfect. The host Melissa, prepared wonderful breakfasts and made us feel right at home.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2006

I stayed at this B&B for a getaway with my fianace.We had a wonderful time,it truely felt like grandma's house.The Innkeeper ;Melissa: its just darling.She creates mouth watering morsels every morming. Nothing comes from a box. She even allowed us to watch her cook. Overnight baked toast,3 cheese quiche,southern stuffed peaches and fresh fruit; sided with a different breakfasts.All her every own reciepes;cookbook material;I would buy it.
The rooms were wonderful; clean, soft fresh towels every morning,T.V's( for noise at night, like home)private baths, and to dye for waterveiws.I could she from my room; the Hooper Strait Lighthouse,the Patriot( a blue,red and white criuse vessel), and the famous Honeymooners bridge.
I can say,Melissa when told of the negative reveiw on this site,she simply said you be the judge and write what you have seen and lovely about your stay.So, I have. She would not even discuss the the review, she remembered them and thans all she would say. Go and see, you'll love it.!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 May 2006

My girlfriend was promised the best room in the house - a suite. Her credit card was charged in advance of our arriving and when we did arrive we were given the smallest room at the establishment, without a private bathroom, and next to the night manager whose snoring was clearly heard in our room.

A complete bunch of thieves.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank RoadWarrior41

The one bedroom suite at the Hambleton Inn includes a small queen bedroom, a living room with a great view of the harbor, and a full bath. It is actually the largest "room" in the establishment because of the inclusion of the private living room. We apologize if the snoring of the night manager was disruptive. This is our private home.

Reviewed 4 April 2006

This B&B has been sold and the new owners are wonderful. Their Innkeeper was very pleasant and served a spectacular breakfast:friut salad to the season, home-made goodies everywhere for guests to enjoy, perfect bacon and her famous over-night baked toast.The inn is getting a face-lift, but has kept the old charm. The view from my window was great. They have also add bikes for there guests at no charge. Breakfast in bed was a treat which is now available. Give them a try.

• Stayed: February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Bel Air, MD
Reviewed 15 November 2005

I reserved a room for the weekend with Steve Furman the Innkeeper of Hambleton Inn. Although, in order to do so, I had to call several times to inquire about available dates because he does not return calls. I never received any type of confirmation so again I had to call several times the week before we were to arrive to confirm our reservation.
Well, when we arrived we did not receive the room I requested while making the reservation. Instead, we were given the attic (or Room #5 as he called it) that my husband who is 6'1" tall could not fully stand-up in.
The breakfast, which we were told would be a full breakfast, consisted of rock hard muffins, apples and oranges in the middle of the table and yogurt. We were there for the weekend and the same thing was provided both mornings. Needless to say we went into town and bought our breakfast. While we were there we happened to run into another guest of the Hambleton Inn also buying his breakfast.
As if all of this were not enough, Sunday morning as I went to get dressed to run into town for breakfast, I realized that my pair of jeans was missing. I know it seems odd but I knew I had them (I had worn them there Friday night) but they were no where in sight. I went down to speak with Steve to see if they were mistakenly picked up with sheets or towels the prior day. He said "no, they weren't in the laundry" but that he'd check with Tasha who had cleaned the rooms the day before. He said he wasn't up there so, she was the only one who would've been in our otherwise locked room. Well, Tasha (who Steve said is my size) said she doesn't know anything about my missing jeans. Now as far as Steve was concerned the issue is closed. He said to me "Well, now you have a reason to go shopping". Yes, those were his exact words! He felt that even though something was taken from me on the grounds of his B&B all I had to do now was go shopping! He did not apologize, he did not offer any compensation and he did not offer to get to the bottom of things. The only thing he did offer to do was to mail my jeans back to me if they turned up. What a nice guy (note the sarcasm)! I had thought that my personal items would have been safe when I locked the door and went out for the day. St. Michaels is a lovely town with many nice people but if I recommend avoiding Steve Furman and his side-kick Tasha at all costs! Fortunately, Steve is leaving the B&B business but he is moving to Easton, MD to renovate houses. So, renovators beware!

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ColoradoMarie, Owner at Hambleton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2010

The Inn was purchased by the Manning family in 2006.

Reviewed 11 September 2005

I booked two nights with Steve over the phone one month before the scheduled visit. He said he'd send confirmation for the room. I never got it, so a week before the trip I called to confirm everything was okay. He said we were confirmed for the room we talked about on the inital call. When my husband and I arrived, it was clear Steve had no idea who we were. He claimed there had been a mixup with someone else there with the same last name who was booked for the same room. (We have an unusual last name & doubt that story very much! Sloppy reservation-making seems more likely.) He showed us the only room left in the house, which was inferior in many ways to the one we thought we were getting. I would think that an innkeeper would do his best to make it up to us (ie, give us a price break for the inferior room-- who else would have rented it at the last minute?), but he didn't. We left, had no luck finding other vacancies in town, and wound up spending one night in Rehobeth instead of the whole weekend in St. Michael's.
Side note: there are two large (but nice) dogs on the premises that greeted us; allergies or phobias beware!

• Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank kbtwb

The Inn was purchased by the Manning family in 2006.