“Can't Wait for Next Visit”

George Brooks House B&B
Ranked #5 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 November 2004

My Wife and I stayed here with my family the 1st weekend of October 2004. Let me just say that Will Workman has done a wonderful job of restoring this home into a very charming luxurious Bed & Breakfast. We have stayed in luxury hotels in London, New York, Hawaii, Jamaica, St. Lucia... that don't even come close to the hospitality and personal service that we experienced at the George Brooks House. My thanks again to Donna for not only being a terrific hostess but for also going out of her way to lend me her husband's top of the line shoe shine kit when I needed to look my best for the family wedding I was in town for. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and when my wife told Donna that I was not a morning person she kept something warm for me even though I was late for breakfast. Talk about making me feel at home. Our room was very spacious and well appointed. The King Size Poster Bed was made up with sheets so comfortable that I had to upgrade my own sheets at home upon my return. I'd never heard of a B&B room having a nice TV much less a DVD player plus a DVD library for their guests but they have it. It's a nice touch. I enjoyed both their pool and hot tub in October - the landscaping around the pool is very nicely done. We look forward to many return visits. Thanks you all so much. - Alexis & J. Dean Williams

• Stayed October 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 October 2004

Overrated!

Everything at this place looks better from a distance, but they seem to cut corners everywhere. Sound travels throughout the property and I wouldn’t expect too much privacy. Also, expect to hear a lot of road noise when trying to relax by the pool. Service is extremely mediocre and breakfast was very disappointing.
I wouldn’t stay there again.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner and Innkeeper at George Brooks House B&B, responded to this review, 13 November 2004
I guess the old addage - "You can't please everyone" - applies here. This guest talks about cutting corners - was it our 320 thread count Egytian cotton sheets, the plush English towels, the Waverly comforters, cable TV wth DVD in every room, stocked guest refrigerator, new 7 speed Raleigh bikes, our candy dish, or extensive DVD movie library? My wife and I recently stayed at the Inn at Little Washington in Northern Virginia - Mobil and AAA five stars for both the restaurant and hotel. We paid $470 mid-week for a nice Queen - the sheets were 50% cotton/50% polyester Fieldcrest (ironed), the towels were 100% cotton (medium-weight domestic), no TV or DVD, no DVD movie library, no stocked guest refrigerator (pay for room service), no bikes, no candy. The plumbing used PVC down pipes - so every time someone flushed a toilet or used water in the rooms above - we heard the gurgling, swirling sound of water in our room. The George Brooks House was built to create a quiet environment - there are no common walls between bedrooms in the main house, and the poolside villas even have special sound isolation walls so we could install Dolby surround-sound DVD systems. The down-pipes are cast iron to eliminate the noise common to PVC piping. Even though our inn and pool are 300 feet from the main road (Rt. 33) - we installed a berm near the road to reduce noise from car and truck traffic. There are no heat pumps, cooling towers or pool pumps outside - so the pool and garden area is quiet except for the road noise from time to time. Our breakfast starts with coffee and pastry at 8AM followed by breakfast at 9AM served in our dining or garden room which begins with a fresh fruit course then a hot entree - like an egg souffle with grilled potatoes and sausage. The Inn at Little Washington served a continental breakfast or you could order a hot entree for $25 per person plus tax and gratuity. Relative to the other inns in St. Michaels and even the Inn at Little Washington, we outperform them is so many ways. Does this sound like we are cutting corners? Almost all the other guests gave us their five star rating - which allows us to stay as the #1 ranked inn for St. Michaels.