“Food doesn't suit the View.”

The Pub at the Inn at Perry Cabin
Price range: US$45 - US$75
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed 23 August 2007

My friend and I thought we would have a relaxing lunch on a rainy weekday at the prestigious Inn at Perry Cabin. After it was over, I wondered how people paying the high room rate, would tolerate such poor cuisine.

After swatting flies for 10 minutes, we decided to order. I chose both items on the Appetizer list which had stars - one was the chef's signature and the other had won awards.

Let me add my own asterisks. The signature crab spring roll ($13) tasted solely of a greasy wonton wrap. Which means only one thing - when was the cooking oil last changed? I could not taste the crab at all. Next the smoked chicken tarte. The chicken was cubed, like it was cut from a deli roll at the Acme Supermarket. Over smokey and very salty - the $14 pricetag was a joke.

My friend's crab and corn soup was too thick and tasted mostly of cumin - where was the corn? And the chunks of crap ontop were tasteless. Her salmon dish was a bit better, but the bacon strips were inedible - thick, tough and so smokey they tasted like someone "sprayed" them with liquid smoke. The potato salad was very bland.

Fresh flowers on the tables were in vases that needed washing and fresh water. Staff was somewhat attentive, but lacked the training that you would see in an establishment of such a reputation. Tablecloths could use an ironing.

One Plus - the breadbasket had a nice selection and good flavor.

5  Thank sparky66oh

Reviewed 27 August 2006

For years I've heard and read about this restaurant and how wonderful it is.

The inn and grounds are beautiful. The setting on the Miles River is worth the fare. Our service was great, our waiter was very attentive. The names tags need to go though.

I chose the seared wild rockfish with scallops because it was the chef's "signature dish." A native Marylander, I've enjoyed rockfish since childhood. When my entre' arrived, I was a bit disappointed for the skin was attached and the fillet quite thin. Before my first bite I remember thinking, "the chef knows what he's doing." After my first bite, I concluded the chef wasn't there. The fillet tasted more like farm-raised catfish. The scallops (both of them) were as expected.

My wife chose a cheese souffle' which was very tasty.

Cherries jubillee for dessert was wonderful.

I know every restaurant has its "off day." An off day for a "signature dish" makes me wonder how much attention is paid to the quality you pay for.

8  Thank tvchase
Reviewed 30 May 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin to celebrate our anniversary. Our package, the Skipjack package, included a three-course dinner at the Inn's restaurant, Sherwood's Landing. Dinner was outstanding. First, we were given a beautiful table right by the window overlooking the lush grounds and the water. We watched the boats floating by until it got drak and then we watched the lights twinkling on the water. (I would highly recommend requesting a table by the window when you make a reservation. There's one room of the restaurant that overlooks the water and another, interior room that is not nearly as pleasant.) Second, the service was so friendly and attentive. I am pregnant and consequently me and my husband are not drinking right now and I always worry when we go to high-end places that the waiters will be annoyed by that, but our waitress was lovely about it and even brought us complimentary lemonades to drink! Lastly, the food was outstanding. I am a bit of a foodie and I live in Chicago, one of the best restaurant towns in America, so I am not that easy to impress. But Sherwood's Landing could hold its own in any big city. For an amuse-bouche, there was a tangy, foamy white gazpacho that my husband adored. He started with a salad and I started with veal sweetbreads because I love them and you don't seem them all that often on a meny. They were excellent. Rich and crispy and served with a sweet corn cake. Yum. For our entrees, I had a dish of local rockfish (delicious!) and scallops with a sweet reduction sauce. My husband had the lamb shank, which is one of the chef's signature dishes and he loved it. For dessert, my husband had the orange chocolate souffle, which had the most heady aroma of rich chocolate and bitter orange. I just had some of their homemade ice cream which was also delicious. And they gave use some beautiful handmade chocolates as a mignardise. All in all, a phenomenal meal in a beautiful setting.

3  Thank Mom_to_Zoe
Reviewed 1 August 2005

My wife and I were fortunate recently to be invited by a friend to Sunday lunch at the Inn at Perry Cabin. The hotel is indeed beautiful as is the restaurant and the food, while not exceptional, was certainly very good.

However, the service was astoundingly bad for a restaurant with so many pretentions to quality and style and that costs so much. First, the waitress, while nice-enough, was completely ignorant of the menu. My wife asked for recommendations for both the main course and desert and was told by the waitress that she hadn’t tasted any of the items but that she was sure they were all delicious. That much I'd expect, but I was surprised that management put a waitress on the floor who was unfamiliar with the menu and who could not make recommendations.

Second, the service was very slow – even though only four other tables were being served in the dinning room. When we questioned the waitress about the service and the length of time it took to get the food to the table (including water, wine, rolls, etc.), she apologized but noted that they were serving tables outside as well. Well, being confrontational with a guest is no way to win their hearts or a great tip. Besides, I'd seen the outside tables and there were just a handful being used. Management should have been better prepared and made sure it had enough help to manage the tables and customers it had. Besides, in the case of a nearly empty restaurant, the waitress' feeble explaination made me wonder how they would have handled the situation had the dinning room been crowded as well as the patio?

Finally, there was the matter of flies – persistent, irritating flies. When we complained to the waitress she was, again, apologetic and told us they were working on the problem. While we were there, they never figured it out. Needless to say, the ambiance -- not to mention ones trust in the cleanliness of the establishment – suffers when you are being bombarded by flies.

Not quite the level of service the prices or reputation of the place promised. Had I been buying the meal, I would have raised more of a stink. As it was, it was merely disapointing and I would not return in spite of the otherwise ok-quality of the food.

10  Thank DCroamer
Reviewed 17 July 2005

We had breakfast, lunch and dinner at Sherwood's Landing. The food was professionally served and was just delicious. From the soup, to the rolls, to the fish and lamb--everything was wonderful. It is expensive but worth it. The view is a plus.

6  Thank trip3333