We went for a wedding of our good friends, the wedding reception was held at the resort on Saturday night. I'll state the good parts first - the weather was beautiful, the reception was held outside, food was decent, pool is decent, and as everyone reports, the view is nice.
Everything else was terrible - starting before we checked in. First, through what appears to be a hotel management mistake, the bride and grooms suite was cancelled 2 days before the wedding (even though it was being held in their name and they had their credit card on file and they didn't call to cancel it), and then the hotel refused to make good on the mistake after they discovered it?! Since I was one of the only guests who had rented a suite (we have 2 toddlers), I graciously offered to give them our suite. When I asked the hotel what sort of accommodation they could make for us, seeing as we had to give up our suite due to their own mistake, I was told "nothing", even though they had 2 adjoining rooms available, and I asked if they could give us those 2 rooms for the price of the suite, which I thought was entirely fair, and I was told that could not be done, even though they admitted that the rooms were not yet rented and this was 5pm on a Friday night.
Then it gets worse. The rooms are not pretty or modern and I can't say much for the comfort of the beds. So after a bad night of sleep in the same room as a 2 and 3 year old, my husband and I tried to keep a positive attitude. He went off to play golf with the groom and I took the kids to breakfast and the pool. The breakfast buffet was decent, as was the pool. Then when we returned to the room I got a call that a suite was available - great I thought! Except that I was expected to move everything to the new room within the hour, or risk being charged for another night in the old room because of the time (2pm) and that "they might be able to rent it, even though it wasn't rented yet" - similar to their reason for not being accomodating and giving us the 2 adjoining rooms the first night.
I went to the main office, after packing up a good bit of stuff, with 2 very tired toddlers waiting in the car being forced to move rooms in the middle of their nap time, and asked if I could have my husband move the rest of the stuff after his golf game. I was told "no" despite the fact that I was obviously 6 months pregnant, with 2 toddlers, and they were asking me to move all this stuff to a 2nd story room. It wasn't until I asked if someone could help, that they made a phone call to see if a manager could come by with a golf cart and pick up the remaining items, but I would still need to go back and pack them up and leave them outside the room. All this because they wanted to make sure the room was cleaned precisely by 3pm just in case someone called to rent it. Seems to me the better business sense would be to keep your current customers happy. I would certainly have found a different hotel were it not for the fact that our friends were about to be married and the reception was being held at the hotel that night.
So after all this I sent a letter to the manager detailing my experience, and you know what I got? No Response. None whatsoever. I have never in my life stayed in an establishment with worse customer service. And I will never stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Harbourtowne - St. Michaels is located on Maryland's beautiful Eastern Shore and a premiere destination for relaxation and rejuvenation. Our property boasts 'Spectacular Views - Everyday' with 111 guest rooms nestled along the banks of East Chesapeake Bay and Miles River - every room is within 100 feet of the water! The Conference Center Our Conference Center caters to groups from 10-160 for meetings, team-building events and retreats. Our 18,000 square feet of meeting space has natural lighting and our on-site professional planners customize meeting experiences according to needs and budget. Waterfront Weddings and Events Harbourtowne - St. Michaels remains a top choice for waterfront weddings, receptions as well as events and gatherings. We have a full-time coordinator on property to assist with every detail for planning and executing an affair to remember. The Town Our property is lucky to share the same zip code with the historically rich, charming town of St. Michaels. The town's cobble-stone walks are lined with boutiques, art galleries and restaurants unique to this area of Maryland and museums provide cultural history about this area. At Harbourtowne - St. Michaels, you'll enjoy the laid back atmosphere most notable to the Eastern Shore lifestyle and we're a short drive from Washington, DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia. Let us be a part of your Eastern Shore Experience! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Harbourtowne Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbourtowne Golf Hotel St. Michaels
- Harbourtowne Hotel Saint Michaels
- Harbourtowne Golf Resort
- Harbourtowne Resort St. Michaels, Maryland