“Service Atrocious - Ruined the Experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Harbourtowne Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alexandria, VA
“Service Atrocious - Ruined the Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

We went for a wedding of our good friends, the wedding reception was held at the resort on Saturday night. I'll state the good parts first - the weather was beautiful, the reception was held outside, food was decent, pool is decent, and as everyone reports, the view is nice.

Everything else was terrible - starting before we checked in. First, through what appears to be a hotel management mistake, the bride and grooms suite was cancelled 2 days before the wedding (even though it was being held in their name and they had their credit card on file and they didn't call to cancel it), and then the hotel refused to make good on the mistake after they discovered it?! Since I was one of the only guests who had rented a suite (we have 2 toddlers), I graciously offered to give them our suite. When I asked the hotel what sort of accommodation they could make for us, seeing as we had to give up our suite due to their own mistake, I was told "nothing", even though they had 2 adjoining rooms available, and I asked if they could give us those 2 rooms for the price of the suite, which I thought was entirely fair, and I was told that could not be done, even though they admitted that the rooms were not yet rented and this was 5pm on a Friday night.

Then it gets worse. The rooms are not pretty or modern and I can't say much for the comfort of the beds. So after a bad night of sleep in the same room as a 2 and 3 year old, my husband and I tried to keep a positive attitude. He went off to play golf with the groom and I took the kids to breakfast and the pool. The breakfast buffet was decent, as was the pool. Then when we returned to the room I got a call that a suite was available - great I thought! Except that I was expected to move everything to the new room within the hour, or risk being charged for another night in the old room because of the time (2pm) and that "they might be able to rent it, even though it wasn't rented yet" - similar to their reason for not being accomodating and giving us the 2 adjoining rooms the first night.

I went to the main office, after packing up a good bit of stuff, with 2 very tired toddlers waiting in the car being forced to move rooms in the middle of their nap time, and asked if I could have my husband move the rest of the stuff after his golf game. I was told "no" despite the fact that I was obviously 6 months pregnant, with 2 toddlers, and they were asking me to move all this stuff to a 2nd story room. It wasn't until I asked if someone could help, that they made a phone call to see if a manager could come by with a golf cart and pick up the remaining items, but I would still need to go back and pack them up and leave them outside the room. All this because they wanted to make sure the room was cleaned precisely by 3pm just in case someone called to rent it. Seems to me the better business sense would be to keep your current customers happy. I would certainly have found a different hotel were it not for the fact that our friends were about to be married and the reception was being held at the hotel that night.

So after all this I sent a letter to the manager detailing my experience, and you know what I got? No Response. None whatsoever. I have never in my life stayed in an establishment with worse customer service. And I will never stay there again.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank sara_1974
Tori21601, Manager at Harbourtowne Resort, responded to this review, 11 October 2008
The individual who made the reservations (there were four made under the same name) called with the confirmation numbers for all the rooms. The individual who made the reservations called to cancel all of them including the suite. The rooms were cancelled and cancellation numbers were issued. It seems that the individual who made the reservation for the suite should not have canceled it, however the hotel should not be held responsible for the mistake and expected to give out additional rooms at no cost for the mistake.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

Stayed here 3 nights for a business conference. The setting is lovely, right on the water. My room seemed to be renovated recently- new carpet, bedding, and decor was appropriate for the water setting. The view was beautiful- water on 2 sides, and a nice private patio. Large windows let a lot of light in the room, as well as provided for great views. I was in the 800 group of rooms- I did see a co-worker's room which was a suite in the 1000 building. It was very nice, with a working fireplace, mini fridge, and view of water, but all the decks in that building connect, so there is not much privacy. Food was OK- nothing special. I didn't experience any problems during my stay, but the hotel didn't seem to have many services to offer besides golf (I didn't play). I did not see many leisure guests, it seems this place caters more to conferences and weddings- there were 2 weddings checking in the day we checked out. The hotel is 2 miles from the town of Saint Michaels, so not walking distance.

• Liked — Views of water
  • Disliked — Food just OK
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tropicalfan
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2008

The waterfront location is gorgeous and grounds well-kept. Other than that, it's a fairly average place. It was especially frustrating that there was no way to get a meal anywhere on the grounds after 8:00 PM! Surely a lot of people get stuck with this problem, yet the staff seemed at a loss to recommend anything. They sent me to a bar in town, which had also stopped serving food by that hour. There was no vending machine or anything at the "resort". The only other time I've encountered this problem in my extensive travels was 10 years ago in rural West Virginia.

Our group had an incident with a catered meal. One of our members never received her meal, yet the servers never really seemed to Get It. Eventually the restaurant manager got her meal cooking, but she tried to put the blame on our group by implying that we ordered the wrong number of meals -- patently false, since we ended up with *fewer* people than we originally stated! She never apologized to the meal-less person, and never made the obvious suggestion that she should simply go to the buffet, thus causing her to wait until after everyone else had finished.

The WiFi was spotty and my cell phone reception was also spotty in this somewhat remote location. Also, I was not offered a receipt for my stay because my bill had been pre-paid. On the plus side, the rooms are spacious and have nice decks.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Andri07

Travellers are raving about these St. Michaels hotels

Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2008

If you're thinking about staying here, consider other options instead. Our group stayed here for several days in August 2008. Despite a very nice setting near the water, the Harbourtowne staff seemed to go out of their way to make it difficult to enjoy our visit. Customer service is definitely not their strong suit. For example, at one of our dinners they actually claimed they ran out of the food we had selected, and that it was our fault because several members of our party did not come to dinner. Think about it... The dinner for five in our party was delayed so long that the rest of us had already finished with dessert before they had been served.
In the end, it took so long that several decided to leave, having had only a salad despite paying (in advance) for a full meal.

On another occasion, the staff refused to put two tables together for our group, claiming it was against the fire code. Yet, there was plenty of aisle space available, and the tables that were to be joined were at the far end of the room where they would not interfere with anyone's access or egress. This rigor applies at all meals. You cannot get a plate for the buffet until you sit at a table. On several occasions I watched someone ask for a plate
as they approached a table or as they entered the dining room. No dice - the server, with plate in hand, waited until the guest's bottom hit the chair before delivering the plate. Very strange.
The staff seem to have a rigid set of rules for which there are no exceptions - it reminded me a bit of watching my friends being reprimanded in Sunday School as a youngster.

The resort has a lovely deck outside the dining hall and bar. It looks out over the water and has tables and chairs, yet eating on the deck is not allowed. Only drinks in plastic cups can be taken outside - asking for a glass for your your wine or coffee to drink on the deck is wasted effort.

I'm not sure about others in my group, but my room had some strange "amenities" as well. There were four left-over bottles of hotel shampoo lining my tub wall when I arrived, several of them uncapped. I decided to leave them to see whether they would disappear after the room was cleaned. Nope - they remained throughout my stay, and are probably still in place. At least the soap was wrapped.

All in all, this could be a nice place to stay, but it is sorely lacking in hospitality and attention to detail. For the price, you would be better off staying somewhere else like many of the people on this forum have suggested before. I couldn't agree with them more.

Stayed August 2008
4 Thank WoodrowMaryland
Northwest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2008

I stayed at the Harbourtowne Golf Resort in late April of this year. You would think staying at a resort mid week would be more relaxing, and that the service would be incredible with fewer guests, but this was definitely not the case.

The positives: Great views and location. Unfortunately, this is all I can truthfully point out about this subpar resort.

The negatives: I would have to agree other reviewers!
1. My problems began at check in with a screw up in my reservation. The Front Desk staff failed to resolve it right then and there. My final bill came in with many added fictitious costs (breakfasts and other alleged services), that I had to point out to be removed. They were taken off, but not without trepidation.
2. After checking into my room I returned to the front desk for some toothpaste, and the front desk manager asked me "if it could wait until tomorrow?" Ultimately, I did get the tube of toothpaste, only after he made a big stink about having to leave the front desk. Unbelievable!
3. The golf course is by no means exceptional, but more like average.
4. The rooms are severely outdated.
5. The bed mattresses are very uncomfortable. I said mattresse(s), as I was moved to another room once during my stay due to an incredible sag in the first room's mattress.
6. While staying in the second room, I used a ball point pen to mark the corner of a bed sheet, and I even stripped the linen from the bed. Yep, you guessed right, as the maids had put the same dirty sheets back on the bed. I was appalled and disgusted! When I told the management (even showing two managers) they excused the maid's unprofessional behavior.
7. I find that the hotel staff are rather unfriendly, and somewhat confrontational.
8. As previous reviewers have stated, this hotel leaves a lot to be desired other than the views.
9 The hotel's location is also outside of St. Michaels and isolated, therefore making it harder to access local activities.

The quaint town of St. Michaels, MD is absolutely beautiful. I would return again. Upon returning, I would stay at another hotel or Bed & Breakfast Inn, of which there are many qaulity establishments in St. Michaels.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Everything else, other than the views.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank WineAuctioneer
Tori21601, Manager at Harbourtowne Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2008
1. This guests reservation was made by a third party and there were no special requests made on his behalf. One charge was found to be erroneous and was quickly resolved.

2. Guest asked for additional toothepaste and was informed that It would be replenished as part of our in-room guest amenities or the guest could purchase a tube at the Front Desk. The guest opted to purchase a tube of toothpaste which was retrieved immediately.

3. Harbourtowne Golf Course was designed by Pete Dye, lengendary Golf Course Architect.

4. All rooms at Harbourtowne has been newly remodeled with all paint carpeting and furnishings within the last year.

5. See comment #4.

6. Being located on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay, Harbourtowne prides itself on being eco friendly. We do not wash sheets everyday, however we wash them every second day of the guests stay unless requested by the guest in order to save water, energy and unnecessary polution. The room was only occupied for one night and their was no indication that the guest wanted the sheets replaced.

7. This guest was particuarly hostel even before checking in. The staff has done everything within reason to accomidate

8. Harbourtowne provides lodging for thousands of guests a year with a greater than 98% satisfactory rating.

9. Many guests prefer our locate because of its serene setting and full water location. Our unique locate allows all 111 room to overlook the water.

Baltimore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2008

The room was nice and the view was beautiful (our porch was 50 feet from the water). However the walls are very thin. Especially the adjoining room (which we had not by choice). The other issue was that housekeeping knocked on our door at 8:30 am!!! to make sure we were leaving and so they could start doing the room. As we were packing our car the woman was hovering outside just waiting to get in. Talk about making you feel rushed!

Stayed April 2008
4 Thank dancerjohn
Cherry Hill, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2007

My husband surprised me for our 5 year anniversary with a weekend at Harbourtowne. He chose the location because it was advertised as a hotel, as opposed to a B&B, which sometimes are iffy. We have an infant, and the weekend was our first away from the baby. Needless to say, we were looking for some relaxation and quiet time, which we had difficulty obtaining at Harbourtowne. We booked a room with a king sized bed, but the only rooms that were offered to us with the king were adjoining rooms. This wouldn’t be a problem normally, but the walls in this place were paper thin. The first room was next to a coughing man, the second next to the loud drinking and smoking crowd, despite the no smoking policy. We had to move twice, eventually ending up in a room with 2 double beds. We stayed positive because it was our anniversary, but we were not too pleased. A note about the beds - they seemed like foam mattresses as opposed to traditional spring mattresses, which did not provide us with a good night’s rest.

The place itself is beautiful, providing waterfront views all around. It is laid out a bit oddly, though, we were not in the main building, but in a “motel” building. We didn’t care about this. We liked being away from the crowds - we were on our anniversary! If the weather was nicer, we would have considered a round of golf, as the hotel is located on a golf course. We enjoyed the breakfast - it surpassed any hotel breakfast we had before. Sunday’s breakfast was especially good.

If we went back, we’d consider the Perry Inn, or a bed and breakfast, simply because of convenience to town. We popped into the Perry Inn which was beautiful. My husband tried to get reservations at the Perry Inn’s restaurant 3 weeks before the trip, but they were booked over 1 month in advance. Harbourtowne is extremely overpriced, but that seems to be par (no pun intended) for St. Michaels.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — The adjoining rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
Parsonage Inn
Parsonage Inn
#2 of 13 in St. Michaels
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

Been to Harbourtowne Resort? Share your experiences!