“Great place to relax and unwind”

Harbourtowne Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I was recently on the eastern shore and was looking for someplace different and a co-worker recommended this place as she had stayed there before.
I felt welcomed and relaxed. The food was good, the atmosphere was warm and inviting and the staff was simply awesome! The room was extremely clean and comfortable. I will definitely return in warmer weather to take advantage of all the things there is to do in the area that were recommended to me to do by the staff at Harbourtowne.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 March 2009

We visited Harbourtowne last summer with our 11 year old twin boys. We had a fabulous time. Our room was out on the point, by the small dock, and since the weather was beautiful, the boys enjoyed goofing off on the little beach and hanging out on the dock looking for fish. Although Harbourtowne is not the Four Seasons, we know that and we do not go there for room service and 5-star luxury. For us, sitting on the deck with a glass of wine in our hands watching the sunset and soaking in the overall Chesapeake Bay atmosphere, in bare feet, the boys having a catch out on the beach, is as luxurious as we need to be on most weekends!! The breakfast buffet is absolutely fine and you cannot in a million years beat the view! I highly recommend Harbourtowne as a great base for touring the St. Michael's, Tilghman's Island, and the entire area.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Stayed 2 nights for business meetings. Staff was very friendly and helpful, food was very good. While the property seemed well cared for, the rooms, while clean and tidy screamed "Holiday Inn", and were a little tired. I might give the property another chance in warmer weather, but would likely search out a B&B for a non-business trip.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2009

This is my second trip to St. Michaels staying at Harbourtowne. I read some of reviews here and felt the need to express my "unbiased" opinion.

My experience was great from start to finish. The front desk staff greeted me warmly when I arrived late in the evening. I was even accommodated with a late night snack even though the restaurant was closed. My room was welcoming and warm on a cold winter night.

The view from my room was beautiful with the sun and moon glistening on the Chesapeake Bay right outside my window. The amenities in the room were great, they even provided toothpaste which I forgot to pack. I went to breakfast in the Bayview Restaurant, the food and service were great. Lunch and Dinner were also great, our group had planned buffet lunches and dinners for us, the food was always plentiful and very good. There were items to suit everyone's tastes.

I attended a meeting during the day and had many faxes and copies which the front desk staff were eager to assist me with. Again, everyone I dealt with were kind, courteous and pleasant.

Each day returning to my room, it was as if it had never been used, my room was neat and clean. A welcome retreat from a day of meetings.

Check out was fast and easy, again the staff were a pleasure to deal with. I will return again with my family. This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2008

We went for a wedding of our good friends, the wedding reception was held at the resort on Saturday night. I'll state the good parts first - the weather was beautiful, the reception was held outside, food was decent, pool is decent, and as everyone reports, the view is nice.

Everything else was terrible - starting before we checked in. First, through what appears to be a hotel management mistake, the bride and grooms suite was cancelled 2 days before the wedding (even though it was being held in their name and they had their credit card on file and they didn't call to cancel it), and then the hotel refused to make good on the mistake after they discovered it?! Since I was one of the only guests who had rented a suite (we have 2 toddlers), I graciously offered to give them our suite. When I asked the hotel what sort of accommodation they could make for us, seeing as we had to give up our suite due to their own mistake, I was told "nothing", even though they had 2 adjoining rooms available, and I asked if they could give us those 2 rooms for the price of the suite, which I thought was entirely fair, and I was told that could not be done, even though they admitted that the rooms were not yet rented and this was 5pm on a Friday night.

Then it gets worse. The rooms are not pretty or modern and I can't say much for the comfort of the beds. So after a bad night of sleep in the same room as a 2 and 3 year old, my husband and I tried to keep a positive attitude. He went off to play golf with the groom and I took the kids to breakfast and the pool. The breakfast buffet was decent, as was the pool. Then when we returned to the room I got a call that a suite was available - great I thought! Except that I was expected to move everything to the new room within the hour, or risk being charged for another night in the old room because of the time (2pm) and that "they might be able to rent it, even though it wasn't rented yet" - similar to their reason for not being accomodating and giving us the 2 adjoining rooms the first night.

I went to the main office, after packing up a good bit of stuff, with 2 very tired toddlers waiting in the car being forced to move rooms in the middle of their nap time, and asked if I could have my husband move the rest of the stuff after his golf game. I was told "no" despite the fact that I was obviously 6 months pregnant, with 2 toddlers, and they were asking me to move all this stuff to a 2nd story room. It wasn't until I asked if someone could help, that they made a phone call to see if a manager could come by with a golf cart and pick up the remaining items, but I would still need to go back and pack them up and leave them outside the room. All this because they wanted to make sure the room was cleaned precisely by 3pm just in case someone called to rent it. Seems to me the better business sense would be to keep your current customers happy. I would certainly have found a different hotel were it not for the fact that our friends were about to be married and the reception was being held at the hotel that night.

So after all this I sent a letter to the manager detailing my experience, and you know what I got? No Response. None whatsoever. I have never in my life stayed in an establishment with worse customer service. And I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank sara_1974
Tori21601, Manager at Harbourtowne Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2008

The individual who made the reservations (there were four made under the same name) called with the confirmation numbers for all the rooms. The individual who made the reservations called to cancel all of them including the suite. The rooms were cancelled and cancellation numbers were issued. It seems that the individual who made the reservation for the suite should not have canceled it, however the hotel should not be held responsible for the mistake and expected to give out additional rooms at no cost for the mistake.

Reviewed 3 October 2008

Stayed here 3 nights for a business conference. The setting is lovely, right on the water. My room seemed to be renovated recently- new carpet, bedding, and decor was appropriate for the water setting. The view was beautiful- water on 2 sides, and a nice private patio. Large windows let a lot of light in the room, as well as provided for great views. I was in the 800 group of rooms- I did see a co-worker's room which was a suite in the 1000 building. It was very nice, with a working fireplace, mini fridge, and view of water, but all the decks in that building connect, so there is not much privacy. Food was OK- nothing special. I didn't experience any problems during my stay, but the hotel didn't seem to have many services to offer besides golf (I didn't play). I did not see many leisure guests, it seems this place caters more to conferences and weddings- there were 2 weddings checking in the day we checked out. The hotel is 2 miles from the town of Saint Michaels, so not walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank tropicalfan
Reviewed 31 August 2008

The waterfront location is gorgeous and grounds well-kept. Other than that, it's a fairly average place. It was especially frustrating that there was no way to get a meal anywhere on the grounds after 8:00 PM! Surely a lot of people get stuck with this problem, yet the staff seemed at a loss to recommend anything. They sent me to a bar in town, which had also stopped serving food by that hour. There was no vending machine or anything at the "resort". The only other time I've encountered this problem in my extensive travels was 10 years ago in rural West Virginia.

Our group had an incident with a catered meal. One of our members never received her meal, yet the servers never really seemed to Get It. Eventually the restaurant manager got her meal cooking, but she tried to put the blame on our group by implying that we ordered the wrong number of meals -- patently false, since we ended up with *fewer* people than we originally stated! She never apologized to the meal-less person, and never made the obvious suggestion that she should simply go to the buffet, thus causing her to wait until after everyone else had finished.

The WiFi was spotty and my cell phone reception was also spotty in this somewhat remote location. Also, I was not offered a receipt for my stay because my bill had been pre-paid. On the plus side, the rooms are spacious and have nice decks.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
#1 of 1 in Chesapeake Beach
The Inn at Chesapeake Bay Beach Club
Waterfront Historic Kent Manor Inn
St. Michaels Harbour Inn, Marina & Spa

Been to Harbourtowne Resort? Share your experiences!